Look what I bought!!!

nigel bickle

I think I'd probably be even more worried about towing that thing on a dolly than I would A-framing it. Surely in the state it's in the chassis snapping in half over a bump is a far more likely prospect than the front wishbones becoming detached from the rest of the van? And that's going to be a lot more of a problem on a dolly than it would be on an A frame, surely? Either way, you're a braver man than me...

You might be right -I prefer the A frame -but all 4 wheels have to roll and the handbrakes been on for at least 15 years! Its on the front wheels -and 'cos its an early one -the whole hub has to come off. Likelihood of that happening -sitting in a very overgrown back garden? And having looked it up on Google Earth -yes I could actually find it -its over 100 yards down a long garden ,facing the wrong way. Lawks!

You might be right -I prefer the A frame -but all 4 wheels have to roll and the handbrakes been on for at least 15 years! Its on the front wheels -and 'cos its an early one -the whole hub has to come off. Likelihood of that happening -sitting in a very overgrown back garden? And having looked it up on Google Earth -yes I could actually find it -its over 100 yards down a long garden ,facing the wrong way. Lawks!

This one sounds like it'll be your most character building missions ever! Forget all your globe trotting for tat, towing stuff for thousands of miles - just this pop over to the IOW 30 miles away will do it! :shock:

Lots of thought here -but I'm going for the A frame. Wuvvums right- the floors rotten and there's little in the way of chassis -coupled with the obviousness of it all..I've taken my wheels off the van -this ones are totally perished aparently -and looked at the brakes. I reckon its 100 yards from the house -so with a power drill and a couple of angles grinders I should be able to get it to roll. And assuming I can -it looks better on its own wheels, its a stance its 'used too' and limited strain. Free outward ferry and lower cost (shorter length on the return) does it.Lots of pics -if I can -wish me luck!

Love one Pog -but it would end in divorce. My eternal perambulations are only accepted now cos its a 'nice'car and wee thingy on the back.Tow car and trailer means biz -and she wont have that. nor would she travel in it -which keeps the grief downIts only a hobby -after all!

Been looking for ages. A friend has a Sherpa -brill -but I cant take that too the Island 'on expenses'.Nearly had a French Unic 6 months back -but bottled it ,and a Belgian Hanomag 9 months ag- but got outsnipered! Tosh!Yep =an early one of those -lovely. Needs to be pre 73, rare, in good condition, and near free. Any takers?

So -it made it. Here with proud sellers:-

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb290/nigelbickle/car-ebaystuff076.jpg

its in a truly awful state:-

Posted Image

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb290/nigelbickle/car-ebaystuff078.jpg

that took some 3 hours to release- handbrake on for 15 years doesnt help.

Twas fun towing onto the boat -lots of interesting comments and gawping, and the M27/A27 had to be covered in darkness; but -its home now -and destined to convert my van to tax free rhd -plus lots of lovely period bits for the pickup, plenty of spares and enough in it to cover its costs to other Esty owners.

So -all in -jobs a good un!

So -it made it. Here with proud sellers:-

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb290/nigelbickle/car-ebaystuff076.jpg

its in a truly awful state:-

Posted Image

http://i204.photobucket.com/albums/bb290/nigelbickle/car-ebaystuff078.jpg

that took some 3 hours to release- handbrake on for 15 years doesnt help.

Twas fun towing onto the boat -lots of interesting comments and gawping, and the M27/A27 had to be covered in darkness; but -its home now -and destined to convert my van to tax free rhd -plus lots of lovely period bits for the pickup, plenty of spares and enough in it to cover its costs to other Esty owners.

So -all in -jobs a good un!

Fantastic stuff! 9 out of ten tat collectors would have bottled a mission like that, myself included.

Love the string holding that front arch on.

Ive found all sorts of fascinating 'collectables inside' including an immaculate, chromed, turn of (last) century gaslamp! Loads of 60's immaculate tat going on Ebay collectables shortly. Funnily -despite being very wet on the drivers side -its not musty -just filthy. Anyway -interior stripped- it'll be a pickup by mid week (save windows in case I want to convert mine to a 'van', and the roof is sold...Dash and mph speedo, steering and pedals to rhd mine, and apart from a few proprietory spares- time to weigh in. That WILL be an interesting tow!!

Make sure you get plenty of photos for us!Alluding to the recent-ish Wight Shite thread, you might be able to get reasonable money for that "DDL" registration number - sounds like there may be a demand for marks native to the IOW and I'm guessing it's exactly the sort of place that loads of overpriced 60s VW hippy wagen things are being imported to.

Anyway -interior stripped- it'll be a pickup by mid week (save windows in case I want to convert mine to a 'van', and the roof is sold...Dash and mph speedo, steering and pedals to rhd mine, and apart from a few proprietory spares- time to weigh in. That WILL be an interesting tow!!

:o But that should just polish out :shock: you can't scrap it ....... :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

Just rediscovered this old pic - I've posted it before, but I reckon it belongs here. At least your camper wasn't doubling as a novelty gerbil enclosure Nigel!

It appears this one is used to hold the sawdust gathered by the extractor on some wood-shed thing. Look at those scaffold poles holding the doors shut against the pressure of the wood chips!! :D

Posted Image