My best shite yet!

seth

How did you find it?

Well, we were going to look at a cheap B16 Amazon but that fell through and Katie was browsing around hereand came across it. They'd had a couple of "I'll give you £100 for it - unseen" offers but I think once I made contact and said the right thing it was just a matter of being patient. Pog, it'll be at the Ace on Tuesday hopefully. Or perhaps you might turn up to that R-R meat you organised :wink:

OK here's a few more photos for you bored people, some taken today, some when I went to look at it.

An Engine. It's actually really clean with almost factory fresh looking paint on the rocker cover and side plate.

Posted Image

With the back seat down there's a huge flat load area.

Posted Image

I kinda like the half metal/half stripy plastic dash with oblong speedo. More indivjewel than the wood/round gauge combos in the upmarket models

Posted Image

Top giffer-bodge on teh car was this gaffer tape over the air vent - oh and the screen washers :roll:

Posted Image

Apparently water ets into the car but we shall see as ....

Posted Image

I pulled it off while being quite concerned it was going to be covering a nasty rusty mess. It wasn't :D

I've had screw in terminal batteries before but never ones with little colour coded T-bars!

Posted Image

And a couple of getting-dark-about-to-rain photos after a quck wash and clean of the windows and bumpers.

Posted Image

Posted Image

It's had outer sills and bits of outriggers/spring hangers but a lot less than most of these I reckon. It's been well gunked up by whoever did it so it is difficult to determine how good a job has been done. The worst bits are the lower edges of the front wings which have been bodged and I will probably have a go at chopping these off and patching up the sill closing plates etc. The car has lived in that garage for 40 years except for the road miles its done and has clearly been well looked after.Pog, yeah I reckon you could easily get a couple of border collies in there no problem.

Great skills - I love to see these old giffer motors unearthed. Kenneth appears to be trying to escape your grasp, mind...I am intrigued at the existence of a Rootes dealer in Bracknell. I was expecting it to be an ex-Christchurch Motors of Reading car! I didn't think that Bracknell actually existed back in the late 60's.

Wow. What a machine! Looks like a good 'un. Probably going to seem a bit, erm, conventional after the Saab though?

Yes, just a bit! Its very plain and easy to drive. However as we rely on our cars for all duties its also going to be a bit less stressful than the Saab. There's lots more Rootes parts lying around in peoples garages I think so parts will generally be easier to get.RW, the dealers details were:East Berks Services (Gough's Garages Ltd), London Road, Bracknell I'll have to go and see if I can find the place next time I'm in the area.Glad you all like it! There's a guy on R-R who has a saloon the same colour and apparently its down as green on the V5. So I think I'm going to miss out on out-beiging Hirst :cry:

Glad you all like it! There's a guy on R-R who has a saloon the same colour and apparently its down as green on the V5. So I think I'm going to miss out on out-beiging Hirst :cry:

Don't worry, the Galant is usually listed as brown!! How on earth?!

We had a 1972 V4 95 (the wagon) until a week ago :( Minx coped admirably with todays weather on a 130 mile round trip to pick up a diff for the Herald which trashed itself on the return trip from Kenneths yesterday :roll: Drivers footwell does seem to get damp but I think its coming up from below (frilly floor) rather than through the vents. Was a good test of its general resistance to the wet stuff though!

RW, the dealers details were:East Berks Services (Gough's Garages Ltd), London Road, Bracknell I'll have to go and see if I can find the place next time I'm in the area.

I was just surprised that Bracknell actually existed in 1968, if you see what I mean - it's a ghastly new town that appears (to me) to have been built entirely overnight, in about 1975 :lol: London Road is another name for the A329 - there is a Merc dealer about halfway along it, as there is a filling station alongside I do wonder if the site has housed a dealership for many years. All the other dealerships are on the outskirts of the town centre, in a sort-of industrial area.