My best shite yet!

seth

YES!!!! After a couple of weeks of to and fro-ing and rather protracted discussion my offer has just been accepted on this beast! :D Gonna be next week at the soonest that I can pick it up so more will be forthcoming when I do that but here's a special sneak preview for you 'shiters as I think it qualifies better than anything else I've owned.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Oh, and I'm buying it from the man who bought it new in'68 :P

I have a special place in my heart for the Hunter,my old mans best mate had one and as a kid every weekend without fail i was dragged around every pub in the district sat on the back seat between my pi$$ed mother and said family friends equaly pi$$ed obeese wife,just in case you were wondering my father and his mate were both pi$$ed as handcarts sat up front critasizing everyone elses driving.How on earth i survived the 70s i will never know.

'tis a Minx. Povo spec, 1500, beige, oh and a wagon :D I wonder how many are left? Minxes were phased out in '70 when all the Hillmans became Hunters.Saab isn't sold just yet but there's a buyer lined up for it. Just had to do a bit of welding and a wheel cylinder for its MOT (re-test tomorrow) and a guy is hopefully coming down for it on the basis of some photos I sent him.

Cool! Love the speckly chrome and exhaust sticker!! Let's see some more pics!

I'll wait to post more photos 'til its actually in my mits. Having out orange-d you in the tent competition last year I'm now going for the out beige-ing double whammy :D:wink:

Cool.my dad had a 69 Hunter and I had a driving licence.Ithought at the time that it wasa good car and really liked the slick gearchange and memory says it handled pretty well too ! At least I always got it home in one piece.

I'll wait to post more photos 'til its actually in my mits. Having out orange-d you in the tent competition last year I'm now going for the out beige-ing double whammy :D:wink:

We'll just see about that.....

Deeply lovely, Seth. 1496cc of pushrod loveliness, and what a period colour! I do enjoy the cranked-back gearlevers in these!Is it a Berkshire car then? Humphries had exhaust & tyre outlets in Newbury and Reading for years until recently, not unusual to see older tin with that sticker in the rear window round here. They may still be operating in Newbury but I'm not sure...

memory says it handled pretty well too !

Yup. I discovered the Hunter's handling prowess quite by accident when I found myself approaching a sharp 90-degree right-hander far too fast in my first Hunter (a 1975 Topaz special edition) on a Norfolk back road. Instead of the potentially painful car-ditch interface I was anticipating, the old girl just gripped and hauled herself around with barely a chirp from the tyres, although I think the tarmac scraped some of the chrome off the door handles. Needless to say, after that I began to throw the car around with reckless abandon. I loved that old car - comfortable, reliable and would sit at the ton in overdrive 4th. Best 50 quid I ever spent.

Deeply lovely, Seth. 1496cc of pushrod loveliness, and what a period colour! I do enjoy the cranked-back gearlevers in these!Is it a Berkshire car then? Humphries had exhaust & tyre outlets in Newbury and Reading for years until recently, not unusual to see older tin with that sticker in the rear window round here. They may still be operating in Newbury but I'm not sure...

Car is near Reading so that would all make sense. There's bits of new exhaust on the car but I think the sticker pre-dates them!

YGP 793G My very first piece of shite was a Minx :lol: hand painted BRG from the usual turquise that was the rage in those days and the obligetry 6 footwhip aeriel oh wot memories, hope you enjoy it! just one piece of advice from someone in the know, and thats to keep your handbrake well adjusted cos when you get in and out you twonk your thigh on it and it piggin urts :shock:

That's excellent Seth, fine work. Somehow it almost seems a bit modern for you though?...

It'll be the oldest car I've owned for a few years now! Newest designed though so I know what you mean. Don't think I'd choose to have a saloon but this was too good to turn down when looking for a tax exempt wagon. I've been inspired by all those cool Japanese cars on R-R :D It'll get some 60's era added Seth flavour soon enough :wink:

Hunter? :oops:

Prolly a Minx with the round headlights. Good cars - had a couple of Hunters meself. Not the most exciting things to drive but extremely competent and quite refined for an old car, 'specially with a 1725 and overdrive
I'm pretty sure the early 1725 Grunters had round headlamps too.A magnificent shitter, nice work!!

• 2 weeks later...

Great buy. I'd much rather have one of these over a Mk 2 Cortina.

The Hunter and Minx were indeed introduced at the same time and were externally identical, but you'll be hard pushed to find a pre-facelift Hunter these days. For some reason the vast majority of survivors are Minxes :?

Posted Image