Late registration madness

Mash

No the cortina if it was ever raged would get an x reg (81)

Why?

I had a Beetle, built May 72 but registered Oct 72, so L suffix. If it was on the build date, that would have been a K reg.

Same happens every 1st March and September - cars receive the correct plate for when they're registered, not built... Unless they were built that morning!

So surely it can't be someone's job at the DVLA to decide how much gap there can be between build and registration.... Is a year OK but three years not etc? Surely the rule is, the plate is relevant to the date of registration.

Edit: DVLA seem to agree - http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/uk-world-news/engineer-sells-ford-cortina-with-just-877563

“I went to the DVLA and asked what number it would get and they didn’t know.

“Eventually somebody got the answer and said that there was no reason why it couldn’t be given the latest number available, although they would need proof it hasn’t been registered before.”

ALL vehicles get a plate newer than it is, otherwise they'd all have to be registered before they're built.

I think what they mean is that they can't issue a plate newer than first registration date.

I prefer the way they do it where I live - the plate isn't necessarily age related, its just a number. The important details are the build date stamped into the door shut. So my 08 car carries a 13 plate, because they hadsome 13 plate numbers left over when I registered it last year.

• 2 weeks later...

I think they're weathered quite well and I'd quite like a quick one (1.8T or V5) with decent spec. I actually looked at one for a daily driver, but of course VAGTAX meant that I could get a Focus two years younger, with more toys and lower mileage for the same price.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Going through BCA tomorrow

Probably one of, if not the last one registered. It's also not one of the run-out 'special' edition versions they made in 2000, just a regular MPI Cooper, so it was probably built in 1999 or earlier (though some normal versions were made after that). Very interesting to see.

I'd love to know what it ends up selling for, Though I'd imagine it'll be farm rom anything I could ever afford.

EDIT - just checked the MOT history, next year, it's gonna need a lot of welding in pretty much all the common Mini areas.

Are those black placca arch extensions standard? I'm not really a Mini expert so please excuse my naivety on this subject.

Yep - first fitted to the 1100 Special in 1979, then a few more limited editions (I.e - models which had the exacton alloy wheels). In 1984, they became standard fitment along with 12 inch wheels. They are definitely original on that car though.

Good to see you earlier QS.

Alf spotted this one too. God knows where it was sat for all that time!

Likewise, and great to see the old bASe looking so good. I had a W-reg Dolomite that was registered in March 81 so that one had sat around a while but not as long as this. I guess by then they were outdated and difficult to sell - the first owner of mine was given a very good deal to get it out of the dealer's hair so this one must have been practically given away.

I have a feeling late registration madness will be a thing of the past, in this day and age and for the last good few years, when a model is due for renewal, the old models are usually pre registered and sold on cheap, or at least attempted to be sold on cheap, so even if it sits around the dealership for months before finally selling, itll usually already be registered. 

Many a time in my old job id go up to sales admin for a list of reg numbers for cars so I could go and get plates made and would then cross reference the reg number with the vin number so the car got the correct plates and quite often the cars would only have came off a transporter "brand new" a few days previous (I checked them in and on more unusual specs and colours I could remember them being delivered) so imagine my surprise when I go to plate them and find the car which has only came in branch new a few days ago in mid 2008 is listed as to have 07 number plates fitted, suspecting a mistake somewhere I go doing some checks and nope, the car has already been registered months before its even been delivered to the dealership. 

Then as I said when a new model is launched, the big dealer groups pre-register all the old models and knock a few grand off to get them out the door so they arent lying around not selling because most people these days are so image conscious they wont turn up outside their house in the old shape but on a new plate incase their neighbours think bad of them, not to mention even the new models are being pre reg from not long after launch. Obviously there will still be the odd exception which has slipped the net but largely there wont be anything like as many as there is on older cars. Generally only used to happen at small dealers anyway and as most are now gone replaced by huge multi branch dealer groups they dont allow this sort of thing to happen.