1983 205 GL up for grabs!

reallyloud

My folks are quite keen to get rid of my old Peugeot, and have threatened to call the local scrappy several times. So I'm going to give it a chance and see if anyone on here is interested.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

As you can see its really very tidy and far to good to scrap, so I'd rather see it saved. The scabs are surface and its structurally perfect. It actually has a month or 2 of MOT, but is currently suffering from sticking rear brakes and needs a battery. Because I live too far away from where the car is, I've not been able to rectify these things but they're not major issues - it will fire up and drives very nicely. I used it as a hack for a year and only had to replace the alternator and service items. I really don't want to put it on ebay, as mr bo11ox correctly observed somewhere lower end priced cars attract too many timewasters expecting miracles and scones etc.

The car is Cholsey in Oxfordshire. It has to go this week really. Whats it worth? I'd rather see it saved than make a profit on it.

Good to know it's in safe (?!) hands. Ed, my local yard has an A-plate 5dr 205 if you need any bits. Not sure what engine, I'll go back and take a look soon.Edit: I don't know what's up with it, but my neighbours still have a K-plate STDT sat on their drive. Surprisingly for one of their cars it loos quite tidy, but hasn't been used for months now. Bodywork looks good, so don't know if there's some mechanical ailment.

Whisked away today in the traditional shite-ist manner to Ratdat acres :lol: 170+ miles on the A frame no bother. Couldn't even feel it was there behind the truck. First Pug we've ever had...

Posted Image

If that's the first pug you've ever had you'll certainly be in for a nice surprise when you drive it. Might start a whole new love affair! Any Peugeot from 1983 to 1998 is a brilliant drive.

My dad has a Pee-u-gee-ot of the sort which seems to be a bone of contention with alot of people. Almost afraid to utter it.....4-0-7--S-W :oops: Although, personally I don't mind it all having had first hand experience....not of driving it but of living with it & being a passenger in it.

Good to know it's in safe (?!) hands. Ed, my local yard has an A-plate 5dr 205 if you need any bits. Not sure what engine, I'll go back and take a look soon.

if you get a chance to look at that one let me know. I could do with a few parts but so far only tried one scrappy (who had no 205's at all). There a few more to check locally but if I can't get what I need round here it'd be worth making the trip. I'd be particularly keen if the interior was the same as ours as I need a couple of bits specific to this version.Tweeked the timing and changed to oil today as well as tacking the rusty bits to stop them getting any worse. I don't think it'll take much to make it into quite a tidy one.Carlo, it's an interesting comparison to the other small hatchbacks of the same era that we have. It's unarguably good fun to drive, particularly on twisty lanes. Lots of roll but good roadholding and in those circumstances just enough power. Feels quite tinny and very lightweight compared with the Nissan Cherry but I kind of expected it to, especially as it's of quite lowly spec. On paper the kerb weight is about the same as the Cherry but it certainly doesn't feel it. Plenty of road noise inside but a remarkably comfortable ride as is so often the way with French cars. The simple seats are suprising supportive and hold you in place well despite the exiting angles that can be generated on spirited cornering.In some ways it feels more like an early 70's car than and early 80's one, especially as it's so basic but I love cars that are really simple like this. The only luxries this one has are a cigarette lighter and a MW/LW radio (in stereo though!) The driving experience is somewhat at odds with the styling which always seems more early 90's than early 80's to me.. prehaps because they sold them for so long? Certainly a car I think we will enjoy owning anyway.

The 205 was such a pivotal car for Peugeot. The 1983 - 87 pre-facelift versions had more in common with the seventies Peugeots and 104 in particular, although the press raved about it, probably because of the overall packaging, styling and 'rightness' of the car overall. By the time of the 1988 facelift Peugeot had sharpened up the handling, and improved the engines and interior (couldn't improve on the styling at all) to the point where the car was a justified class leader. It wasn't successfully replaced by a single model either.But it was at this stage of the eighties that Peugeot just didn't put a foot wrong, and it wasn't 'till the mid nineties and a growing trend towards more solid cars that their slightly dubious build quality became more of an issue. Having worked at car dealerships throughout the eighties I never drove any car which had a better ride/handling compromise than a Peugeot, and I would include the 205, 309, 305, 405, 605, 306 and 406 in that .I may be a wee bit biased, though.

I'd go along with this Peugeot praise, I really only have experience of their smaller cars but the french know how to make small basic cars for the masses perfectly. The 205's styling is timeless, and they really had to bring in 2 cars to try and replace it - the 106 and 206. The fact that the original 106 only outlived the 205 by months speaks volumes about the cars 'rightness'.Interesting you should say how you feel that the 205's feel is like an early 70's car. I had a '76 204 for a few months and they drove remarkably similarly to each other. The engine in your 205 is actually a 'Douvrin or PSA X' lump carried over from the 104 - the 72 degree 1124cc engine slant is a big give away. I think I'm right in assuming this engine found its way in the Citroen LNA/Visa and BX, as well as the Renault 14 and Talbot Samba. My current daily driver is a 106 Rallye and it feels very similar to drive to the 205, with a little more torque and grip.The sprightly performance, fairly refined engine, exceptional handling and pert styling was Peugeot cars at their recent peak I reckon, the following 106, 306 and 405/406 cars were all quite good looking cars and continued the positive traits until they cocked up with the current range of fish faced horrors.

Here's another person in praise of this era of Peugeot. The 205 was the first car I can think of that was built without any designed-in rust traps, thinking that Peugeot carried forward to the 309, 405, 306, 406 and 605. Most get scrapped due to mechanical issues through servicing ineptitude than anything else (605 and hi-spec 406 excepted, perhaps, due to their proliferation of electronica). I haven't seen a rusty 605 (introduced in 1990) or 406 (introduced in 1996) yet, and the two 15-year old 405s I run (each with over 175k on it) have very little rust at all. Plus great handling/ride balance, comfortable seats and the best diesel engine of the 80's/early 90's.Of course, the new stuff suffers from the dead-end styling direction they've taken and the huge amount of electronic gizmos which just don't work properly (for any of the French makers - but even Mercedes can't get it right either). The 80's Peugeots weren't as tough as the legendary 504, 505, or 404 - the panelwork is too thin for that, the only real failing - but mechanically they were quite simple and beautifully engineered. Peugeot made loads of stuff in-house that you wouldn't expect too, like shock absorbers.

205's are just quite simply the badger's clack. Fantastic little cars, I shall make no attempt to hide my hardcore 205-lust. I had a lovely one a few years ago. Though it's memory is slightly tarnished by being the most expensive car I have ever bought (it was only 7 years old) it was a fabby thing. Took me all over the place, never gave a moments trouble and had lovely lovely lovely handling, you really could hustle it along in a way you never could in a fiesta or similar. Desperately basic, but also perfectly comfortable and with spot-on ergonomics. And it had some rather funky green seatbelts. I have sampled a few of the larger products and found them all to be remarkably satisfying too. In fact we had our hearts set on a 306 D wagon for our current family steed, and it was only when the price jumped by a G in the last seconds of the bay auction that we ended up with the (also excellent) Focus. Maybe if I remember i will treat you later with some spy-shots of my fossils delightfully shite 205, it's a thing of wonder, but they like it. My dad is quite a francophile when it comes to transport, with onl a few minor detours into eastern block and brit-tin territories in the past. Used to have a lovely 505 that was almost jaguar-like in it's ability to generate car-sickness in a young Pog with it's smoothness. Of course for me, it'd have to be a 205GTi, keep thinking I oughta, but then they're a bit wee. Maybe when the kids are a bit bigger....

In fact we had our hearts set on a 306 D wagon for our current family steed, and it was only when the price jumped by a G in the last seconds of the bay auction that we ended up with the (also excellent) Focus.

I've never warmed the the styling of the 306 wagon.....I think it's the ugly rear end with lights that are virtually on the C pillars and are a weird egg shape, almost pointing outwards like someone with eyes going different directions. Symmetrical they may be, but they've still gotta be aesthetically pleasing!

Of course for me, it'd have to be a 205GTi, keep thinking I oughta, but then they're a bit wee. Maybe when the kids are a bit bigger....

Trouble is they're internationally appreciated & recognised as real driver's cars, in theory the price of them should get steeper & steeper the longer you hang on, if they go the way of the Golfs that is.....

I reckon bargains are still to be had on the 205GTI front - you can get a perfectly acceptable one for less than a grand. They are pricey at the top end - a mate bought a Miami Blue 1.9GTI on a G-plate for £3k last year, but it had done only 30k miles and is absolutely faultless, so should be worth that all day long.With you on the styling of the 306 estate, wouldn't put me off one but 405s are cheaper and bigger inside :lol: (bigger than the 406 wagon in fact). I reckon the ZX estate is the bargain of the bunch mind.

Oh i don't doubt the prices will rise, and when I do get one it will have to be the best of the best, so I expect it will cost the shirt off my back. That said, 80's/90's hot hatches like the GTi and R5 GTT are not ludicrous £ at present, mainly as whilst they are hoofingly fast, they are not RWD and therefore a bit unfash with the sort of folk who would buy their mums some decorative franklin mint plates for christmas without a hint of irony.As for the 306, sure it's a bit challenged at the rear, but I care not. It will do 9million miles all at 55mpg on vegoil and will swallow plenty of guff. These are the key points. And they are fairly cheap. Though in the end the one near us that we wanted wasn't cheap (dunno why) and the Focus we anticipated being beyond our budget suddenly wasn't. So not a terrible outcome.

The only luxuries this one has are a cigarette lighter and a MW/LW radio (in stereo though!)

Ironically you state how basic the car is by only having a cigarette lighter, but I'm now on my 5th car (the Alfa) and it's the first one to have a bleeding cigarette lighter! The others; Panda, Ritmo & R14 are all low spec cars but my Fiesta Si was only behind the Ghia & the XR2 in the pecking order, yet a blanked off plate was where the ciggy lighter should have been - what gives?!! :?