Don't they do a good job...

bigstraight6

Yesterday afternoon, I commited that most heinous crime, and momenterily parked on some double yellow's outside a shop in our local equivalent of a High Street, while 'er indoors quickly dashed into said shop.After a few minutes I went in to help carry out some purchases, when as if by magic, a ferret faced peak capped Bastard Traffic Warden appeared :roll: He then went on to point out that "very soon they are installing camera's here, and you won't get away with this sort of thing" as I quickly hopped into the car and drove off.Am I right in thinking that a ticket has to be attached to ones vehicle in order to be "done", or have the rules been changed and I might have a ticket in the post, though the uniformed Hero would not have had time to write a ticket out, I certainly hope not or I would have had my monies worth and stayed to take the odeous little prick down a peg or two :lol:

Am I right in thinking that a ticket has to be attached to ones vehicle in order to be "done", or have the rules been changed and I might have a ticket in the post

This used to be the case I think....But I'm sure I heard recently somewhere that it's changed/changing....Fingers crossed! :D

I got one 2 weeks ago, went down south to my parents and went to see my dad in hospital. Parked in a side road that I've used for 20 years that is a 2 minute walk to the hospital. Got back a couple of hours later to find a ticket as I had exceeded the 1 hour limit!So, looked about and saw the (tiny) new sign just up the road a bit - partly hidden by the bushes.This is not even a busy road near any shops - just a side street and they have obviously recently put this time limit in place - because they know they will catch people like me.Soon, you will be getting a ticket for parking on your driveway.

It's got nothing to do with the parking warden doing their job, it's more to do with local councils changing the parking restriction without notice and dishing out tickets willy nilly to the unsuspecting people that have parked in the same place for years. Out of 15 cars parked in the street, 10 had tickets - thats just wrong.Why not just stick a notice on the screen to say something like 'the parking restrictions have changed' for say, 3 months. They can easily record what cars have been given a notice and if they re-offend give them a ticket. After all, I have paid my road tax to be able to park my vehicle in a road.Or maybe when they change restrictions, put up a BIG sign that catches your eye, instead of a small one, partly hidden by a bushes that looks like a Dog Fouling is against the law sign.

retrogeezer, that wasn't the point of the original post - I agree with you completely... But bs6 parked on double yellow lines and seems to think the parking warden should have just sauntered on by without saying anything. :roll:

Quote the person you're directing your point at then nobody gets confused..... :wink:

I've never actually met an evil traffic warden... I once parked on single-yellows, and got out to check the restrictions (well, the shop I wanted was right behind the restriction sign but I hadn't decided whether to chance it or not).... warden pops out like magic from behind a luton van, wanders my way and just says "I wouldn't if I were you.... " with a grin on his face. Problem solved. Parked in the private solicitors parking area next to the row of shops, which he couldn't care less about instead :)My mum once got nabbed in a residents space without a permit too. She came out to her car just as he was producing a ticket, except that she's a district nurse. Pointed out her 'on call' badge in the window, he was very apologetic and said that he needed to issue the ticket once he'd started jabbing away at his little computer. But he wrote her out the address to complain to, gave his name, and by the time she wrote a letter he'd already warned them back at base and it got wiped off.

One got me about six months ago..... to be fair I was parked on double yellows whilst I went to the cash machine on a Sunday afternoon but within twenty seconds he appeared, took two pictures of the van, spat a ticket out of his machine and was off! Curiously, Lancashire County Council have just dumped Parkwise (who are the people who 'run' traffic wardens) as despite taking over £10M in fines the scheme operates at a loss!I was down in Dover last week and parked on a street in the town centre while I went to do a few things. Didn't realise I should have paid and displayed, so I hadn't. When I returned to the car there was a warden stood next to it. On seeing me and noting the car had no ticket, he told me if I went and bought a ticket (55p) then he wouldn't need to charge me which I thought a very decent thng to do!

I think we'll look back to these days of "human traffic wardens" as the good old days. Cameras are being used more and more, transport for London have been using portable lamp-post cameras and Smart/camera cars for a few years and fine you with photographic evidence through the post so there's no chance of reasoning with them. A Black Cab driver I know has been given two £125 fines in the same day as he dropped off fares.

Posted Image

Guest greenvanman

A few weeks ago I rode into Leeds and went to the motorcycle bay where I usually leave my scoot, only to find an A-class Merc parked in it :( Why is it there's never a traffic warden around when you want one?

A few weeks ago I rode into Leeds and went to the motorcycle bay where I usually leave my scoot, only to find an A-class Merc parked in it :( Why is it there's never a traffic warden around when you want one?

Had the same situation a few years back in Sudbury....Went to park in one of the only two bike bays in Sudbury (the one at the bottom of Market Hill), just to find it occupied by a Renault Laguna! :evil:

Taught the old fart a valuable lesson though....There was no way out forwards, so I parked my 200-odd kilos of Guzzi V11 across the back of the Laguna and put my cable lock through the wheels, ensuring that it couldn't be moved! :lol:

Returned to find a rather angry, grey-haired, old twonk complaining that my "Stupidity" had now made him late for an important appointment! I merely pointed to HIS stupidity at parking his CAR in one of only TWO spaces in town reserved for MOTORCYCLES, then made a leisurely (and totally unecessary) call on my mobile, before unlocking the bike, slowly putting on my gear (ensuring that I dropped my gloves several times), and riding serenely away....By this stage, the bloke was livid! :D

Where I live we've got a kind of opposite problem. In the small market place there are about 20 parking places when the stalls are not there but it's evidently too much trouble to use them for most people who prefer to line the street on the opposite side of the road outside the shops ON THE DOUBLE YELLOWS which are there for a reason.As a result it is:a) awkward to reverse out of the spaces because of this line of cars.B) awkward to make the right turn into the next side street because you have reduced road area.c) completely jammed up all the fookin' timeThere are two decent sized car parks off the main street a few hundred yards away and never any wardens to move people along for their laziness.