Dilemma

bigstraight6

I've been offered an example of early eighties shite at a price I can't refuse (that's straight 6 powered!, but remaining anon 'til I get it!) but it has no MOT having been garaged and unused for 3 years...and its located in Monmouth.I did have a wild notion about throwing caution to the wind and just driving it home, but a car with no MOT/TAX/Insurance would mean standing in front of "Hanging Judge Jefferies" after the inevitable pull from Plod. (Maybe a few years ago I'd have risked it, but I'm Captain Sensible slippers these days :roll: )So, what to do. 'Er indoors BMW E36 oil belcher has a towbar, so I'm trying too borrow/hire a suitable trailer, will keep you all updated :wink: PS: Any cunning plans greatfuly received!

There has been something of a crackdown recently on towing trailers, and it's illegal to tow a trailer that's heavier than the car towing it. I have no idea what the car is that you're thinking of buying, but if it's big enough to have a 6-pot then the combined weight of that and a car transporter trailer would likely be significantly more than the unladen weight of the Mrs' Beemer. And if you get tugged by VOSA they technically have the right to confiscate the trailer and its contents if you get stopped - plus you're looking at a fairly chunky fine. I've never had a problem myself when towing, but then I've never had a problem driving untaxed heaps of crap home from the four corners of this sceptred isle either. It is generally a bad idea to tow a trailer that's heavier than the car towing it though, especially if the towcar's only 2WD. I once experienced a wild speed wobble at 60mph on the M11 when trailering a Mk4 Zodiac behind a Volvo 740 estate - I just managed to keep it on the road (using both lanes plus the hard shoulder) but I never did get the stain out of the driver's seat. My advice if you decide to buy this mystery vehicle is to book it in for an MoT, take out a day insurance policy (around a tenner) and drive the thing home.

I've never had a problem myself when towing, but then I've never had a problem driving untaxed heaps of crap home from the four corners of this sceptred isle either. Book in for an MoT, take out a day insurance policy (around a tenner) and drive the thing home.

Thanks wuvv's, does that mean as long as I've got this old battleship booked in for an MOT with my Local Sage and I have Insurance, I can drive it home without fear of losing my liberty :lol:

Took the "MOT chance" myself when I got the 405 back. Luckily it passed, but still did a 120-mile trip round the M25 and M3 without a tax disc :oops: No tug though.Torsten knows a bloke who does cheap transportation if you want the absolute safest route.

The rules on towing are a bit complicated. The recommended limit is 85% of the towing vehicle's kerb weight but the actual limit is given in your car's handbook. My car can tow 1500kg, which is a bit more than 100%.

Oh right. I wasn't sure if the handbook towing weight was legally binding in this country or not - the regulations seem to change every ten minutes and I gave up trying to keep up with them long ago. Plus I don't have handbooks for most of my cars so I have no idea what the manufacturer's towing weight is most of the time. To be fair, my source on the trailer-heavier-than-tow-vehicle rule wasn't 100% authoritative. Either way, a straight-6-engined XXX on a car transporter trailer is going to weigh two tonnes at least, and I don't think a 3-series would have a two-tonne-plus towing limit - I reckon driving it will still be a better (and cheaper) bet.

I've done the MoT booking wheeze before, driving from Hull to Newcastle. Never got pulled (phew) but I'm not quite sure what would've happened if I'd been stopped a couple of miles from home, when the testing station is 150 miles away. I can't remember the wording of the rules, but I think there is something about the MoT place being reasonably local to the car :? I suspect that a determined plod would try and pull something out of the book :twisted: especially if the car looked like a wreck

Grey area. "Reasonable distance" I believe is the letter of it. I certainly wouldn't be wanging across half the country in this fashion. Have done it a couple of times, once in the Volvo wagon (which promptly passed said test with flying colours & once in the odious Fiesta Mk1 (which failed miserably as the suspension had been fitted my a mong).Both occasions the journey home was less than 15 miles.

Grey area. "Reasonable distance" I believe is the letter of it.

Yup. It's a very grey area. If you're picking a car up from Aberdeen and you've got it booked in for an MoT in Truro, the old bill might take a dim view. What counts as "local" and "reasonable distance" can't really be defined though as if you live in the middle of nowhere in the Highlands your nearest testing station might be 50 miles away. To be fair, Monmouthshire is still a bit of a trek from where you are, but because the rules are so vague (and a lot of coppers don't know what they are anyway - as with A frames and towing dollies) they tend to be reluctant to prosecute unless you're blatantly taking the piss. If you want to be completely safe, just book it in at several places along the route and then if you're stopped you can say you're heading to the nearest one.

Get it transported - the only pain is handing over the cash - other than that it's a breeze - no fear of getting pulled, breaking down, getting caught on camera etc. Not very heroic I know, but much easier on the noives.Useful if there's someone you regularly use - the chap I use seems to charge a very reasonable rate. What price for peace of mind eh?

:shock: I just made a mess in my trousers. A Vauxhall Viceroy! F*** me. Not sure what I was expecting, but it certainly wasn't one of those. And that interior... *drools*Definitely drive it home. There's no way the Old Bill are going to even look twice at something like that in that condition. Unless it's to drool over it, of course. Oh, and congratulations - that has to be approaching Talbot Tagora/Lancia Gamma levels of desirability.

81/82 and it has switches for something on the steering wheel!!

I think those are just the horn buttons - my Carlton had similar.
Ah! of course....It does appear to have a remote controlled drivers door mirror and it also looks like the owner has fitted some extra guages on the top right of the dash.