Montego dizzler countryman.... Snog/marry/avoid? COLLECTED!!

Lankytim

Im picking up a K reg Diesel Montego Countryman soon. It sounds pretty straight so should make a nice project and a great daily driver/ tat collector.Its been well looked after by a caring owner but has the odd problem such as hanging rooflining, scabby/fillered rear arches and...well thats about it by the sounds of it.Has anyone got any experience of these old buses? This one is rumoured to get 60MPG on a run. Excellent!

my parents had one for yearswas a fantastic cartheres was an early one with the very tall gearingmy mum was on the M62 on cup final dayshe floored it going down a slope in 5th gear and claims it got to 130they are also very quiet on the motorwayI heard they get stolen for the engines which are used for pumping stations somewhere

MARRY + INCARCERATEThe DVLA WHORES that cleaned out my office car park this week scored themselves a tidy Monty diesel wagon. I'd love a decent one, it would be a fairly capable A-frame hauler I imagine. If the wheelarches and door bottoms were not hanging off.

Also used one as a taxi albeit the saloon version,Roomy economical and 100% reliable, kicked out a hell of a lot of black smoke but once you got used to not looking in the mirror when accelarating hard, no problem (was also great for upsetting cars behind you and stroppy cyclists by employing the factory fitted smoke screen so I'm told)

100% marry it, they're brilliant things and don't hang about either. The local car auctions used one for tat hauling/'A'-framing for years and swore by it.If you get it on the road and get bored of it please (pretty please!) can I have first dibs?

Marry, but it will need industrial amounts of waxoyl to stop it dissolving before your eyes.

Might be a bit late for that, it needs a bit of welding around the rear end of the sills I believe. Can you still get rear arches and sills for these?Mileage is 98k I believe.Looking at the Veggie oil thread, can these tolerate Vegetarian diesel?

Marry, but it will need industrial amounts of waxoyl to stop it dissolving before your eyes.

Might be a bit late for that, it needs a bit of welding around the rear end of the sills I believe. Can you still get rear arches and sills for these?

Mileage is 98k I believe.

Looking at the Veggie oil thread, can these tolerate Vegetarian diesel?

1) Isopon can :D

2) Yes.

montie look good in red, all i've seen here are BRG one's :lol:

The GTD Break (which is the only version you're still likely to see on the roads in France) only came in BRG as far as I recall. It was basically a Countryman with aircon. My dad had one in about 1993.

Spoken to the seller tonight, after a game of email ping-pong. Sounds like a really lovely fella, Worked at Longbridge for years up until it closed and is a real old car enthusiat. The Monty was inherited in 1999 from his father in law who owned it from new has a FSH and sounds to have been really cherished. Hes had interest from the Land Rover gang who want to bum it for its engine but he really wants it to go to a BL enthusiast instead.I cant wait to get my mitts on it, Ill have to hit Shiply to see if I can cheapo transport.Interesting point, the owner recons the Montego diesel holds the record of being the first family saloon car capable of doing 100MPG. Apparently BL had a Montego going round a test track at a steady 50MPH and it got 100MPG. I had to ask him to repeat this claim several times. I have to say im not sure if hes winding me up or not! This particular Mongo can get 60MPG on a run by all accounts.

Maybe it did so well on mpg as it shed bits of bodywork and excess rust as it went round and round?An acquaintance of mine is THE leading light on Perkins engines. Mostly truck stuff but he knows his car engines too.