Debonair??

Guest Diamante94

Hey all. I live in the US and i bought an engine from Osaka JDM engines for my 1994 mitsubishi Diamante LS. Instead of shipping me the 6G72 3.0l Dohc they sent me the 6G74 3.5l DOHC from a debonair. I was actually pretty happy about that. I got a bigger better engine for the same price. The problem i ran in to, however, is that i need an ECU from the debonair and i cant find one anywhere. Im not sure what year Debonair i need or if i need part of the wire harness to adapt it to my Diamante. I was hoping someone on here could help me get what i need to get my car running properly. I love my Diamante and i miss it. Thanks, Zach

Unfortunately I reckon you can count the number of Debonairs in the UK on one hand, they were never formally imported. So you may have your work cut out.The Diamante was known over here as the Sigma, not many were sold either! I had a '93 wagon with a single-cam 3.0L, nice cars.

There might be a possibility that the Dimante was sold in other parts of Europe - places like Holland or Finland spring to mind. I have no idea regarding parts changability, but have you looked at the 3000GT, Eclipse or maybe even Pajero ranges for ECU's compatibility? Nonetheless, I'd like to see a picture of your car!

haha i doubt it.

Posted Image

thats my car with the 6G74 127k miles on the body

still dirty on the front from my greasy hands takin the first engine out lol

Posted Image

i think im just going to get the Greddy Emanage instead of trying to find the ECU. I can get the emanage, the support too, the injection and the injector harness all for $480.56 including shipping.

the black bitsi was sold here as the V3000 in 6 cyl or as MAGNA with 4 cyl (2.5L ?) power.next model was badged DIAMANTE and gained 3.5 V6 during its lifetime .Pogweasel--is the brown thing an early debonaire.it jumped at me at first glance as a lincoln continental but I guess the bean counters wouldn't let the designer put the rear doors round Michiel's way

Now I'm probably going to come across as a complete ignoramus here, but are Debonair's/Sigma's/Galant's pretty much the same car?? Or am I just harking back to the days of badge-engineered heaven a-la Leyland.

See that's where I got confused too.

I thought the Debonair was the absolute top dog Mitsi. As far as I knew they looked like the one I pictured earlier, for a very long time right up till the '80s, then there was this sort:

Posted Image

Which was as ugly/chintzy as it is possible for a car to be...

evolving into:

Posted Image

I did not know that what I recognise as a Sigma was also sold as a Debonair.

By the time we get to this late stage, the Sigma & Galant are different animals that look similar. I think the early ones e.g as owned by Hirst & MR_Bo11ox respectively are much the same aside from trim & engines, no?

One assumes the Debonair started as RWD then evolved to FWD then? :?: What our American chum has as a Diamante is definitely what we had here as the Sigma, first as the saloon from 1991 with DOHC and loadsakit, then as the SOHC estate from 1993, like wot I had. They both disappeared in '95 and probably only sold a few hundred.For the UK anyway, the saloons came out of Japan but the wagons were Australian-built. As STUNO notes, there are still loads around in Oz/NZ where they were all Oz-built I guess - STUNO, I assume Mitsubishi had stopped local NZ production by then? 2.6-litre four or 3.0-litre six, dunno if Oz/NZ just got the single cammer. IIRC, the fours were called Magna in Oz and the sixes were badged Verada.Early Sigma was definitely Galant-based, coming here in '77 (got an Autocar with the road test somewhere). Always called a Sigma in Oz, I think they started building it in the old Chrysler factory in Adelaide from about '79. Carried on until the late 80's, long after we got the first FWD Galant. There were some comical facelifts to try and make them more modern - think Hirst's car with bits of Sierra grafted on the front!The Australians then created the first Magna by widening and lengthening that first FWD Galant, I think, in about '86. It's possible that this first Magna is related to the technofest late '80s Sapporo we got here but don't quote me.Anyhoo...Magna, Verada, Diamante, whatever it's called - nice cars, watch the headgasket and the auto gearbox for imminent failure.I'm pretty sure I've got a What Car or Autocar/Motor that roadtested the only Debonair ever officially imported by Mitsubishi UK somewhere as an 'evaluation car', like the first of Pog's pictures. Didn't this become the Hyundai Grandeur as well?