shite f**k and bollocks

bones96

:? I had been without wheels for a few weeks and scoured flea bay vigilantly for a bargain like this, never there when you want one, anyway I ended up bidding on a, Ahem shall we say, over stated/ rated Rover 820i, I picked it up took it home and all I can say is I think I would rather walk. If I get 12 months out of it I will be surprised, It came with a fresh ticket :?: Still it is cold outside, Anyway I nearly baught a renner like this but the owner seemed to think it was worth more than I did and would not shift on price, I wish i saw this one first. :oops:

Am I too missing something Mr Bones? Seems like it was pulled because someone has e-mailed the bloke saying "I'll give you £XXX for it if you pull the auction". It happens all the time...I did the same when the scrapman gave me a decent offer on my 820. You can bet the Laguna went for more than a tenner (or even £80) though. Anyway, "heater does not get very hot" usually equals headgasket in my book (unless the temp gauge never moves off the stop, in which case you might be lucky with just a new thermostat) so it doesn't seem like a great loss!

cos my temp guage does not move off zero and the heater is bobins in my newfound 820 shite, and even though it suffers from the usual p188ing of the oil down the front of the lump I am pretty sure the gasket is still holding strong go to http://www.rovertech.net to see the common faults with the 2 ltr lump in these things.Photo bucket is down at mo but I will post a piccy as requested as soon as I can. :oops:

Posted Image

When you say gasket I take it you mean the stat gasket and not the head gasket as I have been quoted £700 for a skim and fit of said part :x

By the way Sid it is a 95 m plate, 1 owner + ex demo with 61k on clock, pulls quite well but it does suffer every known fault Rover could have fitted as standard, When did BMW take them over? cos if they let these things outta the factory then shame on them.

Also for a very interesting diversion if you go to the above Rover forum someone has actually gotten into the old factory and taken loads of pics of the underground tunnels and loads of body shells still on the production line, there is even a trashed Mini Clubman in one of the tunnels with a genuine 11 miles on the clock, breaks me heart it does.

£700!!! :shock: I'm sure you could get a head gasket done on one of these for half that.I was actually quite impressed with the general build quality of my '93 Mk2 800 with nearly 140k miles, everything worked and it was very quiet with no rattles or squeaks. The main failure was the Chrysler-sourced gearbox and its hydraulic clutch...

Someone asked for a shillin for the lecky meter and when they turned around every one was gone, :roll: Glad you liked the pics I was quite in awe at the devestation left behind and on how there was no value in what was left and most things were crushed and thrown away.Imagine coming across a load of MGB & Midget shells, Did you see the clubman :cry:

Posted Image

When you say gasket I take it you mean the stat gasket and not the head gasket as I have been quoted £700 for a skim and fit of said part :x

Oh yes, thermostat gasket. You can still get 'em from Rover parts dealers easily enough. It's just that most 'stats from eBay or motor factors won't have the gasket, and you can bet your bottom dollar that the existing one will be hosed.

Here's mine, as was:

Posted Image

Body and interior were in good order but the clutch and gearbox were u/s. I couldn't even get the starter motor off to remove the 'box, so off it went to pastures new.