Questions of the Pony Pursuasion......

Guest Lord Piston Broke

My fellow Lords & Ladies,Do any of you good people out there know anything about Mercury Cougars specifically the XR7 of 1969 ilk?I have been tempted by the weakness of our American cousins & their paltry dollar.The aforementioned beastie requires work but it hails from Texas where I'm assured the weather is charming.All joking aside, any ideas? Always wanted this model ever since I saw one in NJ. It's a true monster. Blokes asking $3700. I'm trying to find out how much shipping costs. Can anyone suggest anyone?If I can work out how to add a photo of it I'll even post one!

Last time I looked into this shipping from the Eastern seaboard was about £1500. That was a while ago though so might be more now. Or might be less if you go for a Ro-Ro, but I've heard horror stories of cars being written off during transit on those. Not sure how much it'd cost to get it dragged across from Texas to a port though. I do like Cougars - I think the '69s had flip'down covers over the headlights that looked like an extension of the grille, didn't they? Being a Texas car the bodywork will probably be solid but the paint may well have suffered, and the dash will probably be either warped, faded or cracked or a combination of two or more of those. $3700 is a good price though - depending of course on how much shipping, import duties and getting it through an MoT would cost. It'll probably still be cheaper than buying one that's already here, but it'll be a lot more hassle. Also, you'd realistically expect to get between 12-15mpg from one of those around town so it's unlikely to be much good as an everyday car.

I pay £995 to shift medium sized saloons from southern Oz -so reckon it would be a shed load cheaper from US -since thats over half way home.Tax, handling etc is dependant on how reasonably low you can get the purchase invoice...I ro-ro, nothing has turned up dented yet. Since the boat is full of new cars, I reckon they're well secured.Happy to suppply shippers details if needed.