Just a wee starter fer the craic...

binhoker668

Bearing in mind that I'm at the mercy of a super-poo phone cam...

Tasty Audi that looks way better than this in the flesh...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Lovely Triumph in all it's glory. Looks like a way comfy ride like...

Posted Image

Posted Image

Was gonna put more on here, but for some reason I seem to be attracting awful/weird/gorjuss campers of late, so....

Return of campershite beckons..

Toodle pip!

Am in the process of gettin' me bro over in Belfast to start sending me family snapshots from back in the day (early 70s thru 80s thru 90s), which involve our long family litany of tragic vehicular conveyances.I'd have 'em all back if I could.So post here, or watch this space! I wanna see some flares on Dads people!

With a name like "binhoker" I just knew you were from here, although I assumed Bangor not Belfast.It's true, we do have outrageous amounts of shite over here in NI, and millions of Jap-crap imports that appear from the Republic.

With a name like "binhoker" I just knew you were from here, although I assumed Bangor not Belfast.It's true, we do have outrageous amounts of shite over here in NI, and millions of Jap-crap imports that appear from the Republic.

Hey - good ta 'meet' ya mate - read one of yer posts a while ago and I think ye mentioned Carrick?Well I'm from Whitehead, so ye were half right with the Bangor thang - we used to go there from W'Head in the speedboat from the Yacht Club. Awesome craic, and a very short trip too!

Aye mate, sunny Carrickfergus. I go through Whitehead every day on the way to work (Ballylumford). There's a bright PINK Rover 216GTi at the Raw Brae Petrol Station, which won't come out propely in photos. Pity, 'cos it's proper shite, with brown half-leather seats.The people from Islandmagee like to go to Bangor too, but don't need a boat. Generations of inbreeding has given them webbed feet!

Aye mate, sunny Carrickfergus. I go through Whitehead every day on the way to work (Ballylumford). There's a bright PINK Rover 216GTi at the Raw Brae Petrol Station, which won't come out propely in photos. Pity, 'cos it's proper shite, with brown half-leather seats.The people from Islandmagee like to go to Bangor too, but don't need a boat. Generations of inbreeding has given them webbed feet!

OOOOHHFightin talk eh? I have many good friends in I'Magee y'know...(Alright, in fairness most of 'em are so inbred they're their own fathers...)Go on, take the photo - would love to see Raw Brae filling station again. Is it still all original?There were some lovely old 30s/40s/50s petrol stations in Whitehead - I used to hang around them in my youth and pester the mechanics/give them a hand etc.Me Mum was over here the other week tho, and sez they're gone in favour of coffee shops and "Apartments".Typical like. History? Schmistory.P1sses me off to no end.Will try and find some old photos to put up, or maybe scan some out of my ace new Whitehead - A Pictorial History book.I think it was Tomsy Phillips who owned it.The one just before it (on the Carrick side) was owned by a different Tommy. Ace guy. Used to repair my Dad's clunkers (Hillman Hunters/Simca 1000s/Hillman Avenger estate, Colt Sigma etc etc) all the time, and I'd go play in all the cars round the back gently rusting. LOVE that old leather/Petrol/Diesel smell. Very evocative of my youth.*sigh*

Rawbrae garage is still original, ancient lettering, peeling paint and 1980s LED petrol pumps. Loads of shite stuffed up the side of it in an unfortunately unphotographable position. And yes, the arse end of that old series 3 Jag is still sticking out the gate. After a gazillion years.There's an original Triumph Stag in there too that Alan McKinty (the scrap man, you probably know him) has been wanting to buy for about 15 years.I shall endeavour to get a photo of the place (and some of the cars if poss).I think the Tommy you're talking about was from the Cable Road Garage. Tommy McWilliams, now sadly departed. A thoroughly decent man, with an truly biblical collection of shite. In 1990/91 he had about 70 or 80 cars round the back of the garage, none less than about 10 years old - SD1 Rovers, Simcas, Jags/Daimlers, an Ro80, even a couple of old Rollers. I bought a Rover SD1 V8 and a Daimler DS420 limo off him for £50 the pair.I'm kicking myself now for not photographing that lot - me and my mates used to go and yarn with Tommy for hours. The man was a legend and could tune a car by smell.

Yes! Tommy McWilliams indeed!Awesome awesome garage. The like of which will never be seen again.That was me Dad's old Simca your talking about!You remember the dogs? Always sat by the big gas burner. Jack and ???The wee office was ace too. Hadn't been an office for like 14,000 years. Was really weird in there. Paperwork for cars going back to the 30s. And I betcha he knew where they all were. His brother's really cool too - Ian.All my Dad's old cars went there to rest.A proper true mechanic like.Alan McKinty - I reckon that would be Kyle's dad - was in school with him. He had a moustache in P7!Ah.Memories eh?

I think the other dog was called Troy. Ian might well have been Tommy's bro, but I think the son is called Ian too. He helped me fit a 205GTi engine (I got it from Tam-Paddy Crawford in Raloo) in my Samba. Top bloke too.

I meant son!Wow, this convo is sooo close to home!Ian McWilliams is step Dad to one of me friends - Jo.I'm liking this tat car/home chat combo.