Cedric

pompei

Sounds about right to me, for the era. 2.8 carb'd Granada Mk2s put out 135bhp, and the Opel Senator/Vauxhall Royale 2.8 puts out 140bhp. It was only BMW and Mercedes getting decent outputs out of normally-aspirated 2.8s (185bhp ono) in those days!

Speaking of BHP anomalies, yesterday I read a review of the forthcoming (2009) Peugeot 308 RC Z

Posted Image

apparently it boasts the same 1.6 litre turbo as featured in the Mini Cooper S Works which puts out 218bhp & does 0-62 in 7 secs & reaches upto 146mph. If that's all possible from a 1.6 why the hell is my Alfa, (2 litre I might add!) only churning out 155bhp, isn't that a bit pathetic in comparison? That's like the sort of output the yanks were offering from their huge barges with equally huge engines, it just doesn't make sense!

Also, considering the engine is so small, does that mean that Driver A with his 1.6 capable of 130 mph & with 140bhp for example has a more economical car (spends less on petrol etc) than Driver B who has a 2.0 giving the same performance figures & with the same bhp or would they cost pretty much the same to run because the 1.6 must be revving it's nuts off? :?:?:

Was it the same engine that went in the 280ZX?

Basically yes, but 280ZX had injection and probably more adventurous compression, cam etc. It’s the L28 engine, which is an enlarged version of L20, L24, L26 family that saw service in 240/260Z, 240K, Laurel etc. Can be taken out to 3.1 with the right combination of bits.

it boasts the same 1.6 litre turbo as featured in the Mini Cooper S Works which puts out 218bhp & does 0-62 in 7 secs & reaches upto 146mph. If that's all possible from a 1.6 why the hell is my Alfa, (2 litre I might add!) only churning out 155bhp, isn't that a bit pathetic in comparison?

Yes but (a) the Alfa is 10 years old and (B) it does a bit more than 3.2 mpg.