Travelling with a camera: my photo scans from the early 90's

reallyloud

What a great update!, I was planning on going tomorrow but can't really afford it at them moment, Which is a shame, So it's great they you have snap some of it for us! :P

Posted Image

That's a sorry looking Alpine, Looks too tidy to have been brought in like that, Bet it's happened on the way to the show, And is that a Tagora in the back ground!

OI! GET OFF MY MANOR YA SLAG! (and stop stealing my skoda thunder)

Haha. Car spotter rage. Yeah, I'm gonna hoe your bitches. I spent the night near preston park for some crappy halloween thing hence my stealing your original spots...

And is that a Tagora in the back ground!

It was indeed, I saw it for the first time in June at the Bletchley show.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Christ, its all too much! Its like an FHM cover but with cars, and therefore better, in the sense that they can be purchased and used at will.That early Delta is a total honey, I could look at it for hours! As for the crunched Alpine, you can keep your World Wildlife fund, Oxfam, help the aged etc, THAT is a charity worth donating to. 8)8)8)8)8)8)8)8)8)

Since I'm going to the NEC tomorrow I shall refuse to look at the previous page of this thread tonight in order not to spoil the surprise. I will then, tomorrow evening, have a look through the photos here and go "Where the hell was that!" cursing at the various cool cars I will have no doubt totally missed.

GR9 pics as always :) I love that little Civic - reminds me of one I had (Plod stopped me in it on a country road for allegedly speeding - he followed me for about a mile, and I was only doing about 55! He said it took him a mile to catch me, and I said, "look at it - it won't do more than 60!" He harrumphed and drove off ... ) I'd like to put a CRX donkey in one, think they slot in 8)

What stand was the 180B on? I wonder if it belongs to a Scottish chap called Gary?

Thats the exact guy, co-incidently I was on toy stall buying a model of Datsun Auster when he happened to hear my banter with the stall holder. What are the chances? He drove up in his B310 Datsun Sunny, which unfortunately I never got to see. The car was actually placed on the main entrance to hall 3 and not part of any club. He mentioned that he will get chatting to the Datsun Owners club and try and organise something for next year.

Setting the camera to the appropriate white balance would sort that out.

Absolutely, with a DSLR camera its perfectly possible not to use a tripod if you practice holding the camera as close and stable to your body as possible (e.g not holding the bloody thing up in the air) and take multiple shots - one is bound to come out half decent. I used the lowest F number possible with a high ISO number - but anything higher than 800 is too grainy. I set the white balance to Tungsten light - which produces a slight blue hue if used with a flash but again its one of those things you mess around with until your get the best results. The type of lense and hood is important too - I'm using a crappy standard 18-55mm lens that came with the camera, it produces adequate results but is ok for all round use. I'll put the remainder of the shots up tomorrow, so it won't ruin Seths day :) I missed a few stalls myself - I unintentially didn't explore the corner where the MG/healey clubs were and missed out on some Maxi action.....maybe.

Posted Image

That's a sorry looking Alpine, Looks too tidy to have been brought in like that, Bet it's happened on the way to the show, And is that a Tagora in the back ground!
Don't think so somehow - if you looks at the other cars on the stand - Solara etc there are a couple of 'Police - Accident' type signs in the background so I'm guessing they've set the stand to look like some big Chrysler / Talbot road carnage thing. Probably because the guy with the Alpine bumped it a few weeks before the show but decided to go ahead with it anyway.

I was quite tempted to go to the NEC but tbh couldn't be arsed in the end. If both me and Mrs L go then it's a £60 day out, plus fuel, food and then the quantity of tat I'd end up buying. Plus I'd have to get up early and didn't really want to do that.

That brown 810 Bluebird is absolutely stunning. Interesting about the DOC stand possibility next year as I was thinking there ought to be mor Japanese presence. Would be nice to see the B10 there if everything could come together OK.

This B11 is identical to mine (save for being a Maxima). The reg number is particulary apt for mine at present...

Posted Image

• 1 month later...

Rounding the year up with my last spots of the year - its been a surprising year, with the odd gem popping up unexpectedly. This batch are from the last month, with a few that I didn't post in Oct/Nov.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Just hanging on to dear life. I bet it starts perfectly every morning.

Posted Image

Posted Image

E24 (I think) Nissan Caravan - a comparative import rarity as most import vans seem to be Toyotas or Mazdas.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Ginaf are a Dutch company who convert DAF trucks into heavy duty muthas.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Seen this hobbling around Southampton, the driver looks aggressive. Neat plate though.

Posted Image

This used to belong to a mates brother, glad to see it still in use.

Posted Image

Started life as a Fiat, became an Iveco in 1983/84 I think. The replacement model was essentially a tranny in a frock.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This was spotted behind the local Ford garage, probabily waiting for the distributor to dry out....

Posted Image

Posted Image

....and these two were also behind the new car lot. The plateless 2CV worries me slightly. I'm hoping that they're not part of any scrappage scheme.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Oh yeah! Chuffed to have seen one in use.

All of the cars below were seen on a private bit of land, in which the owner quite happily allowed me to explore.

Posted Image

Posted Image

June 1978 model - not quite as late as the '79 I spotted at beaulieu but still interesting. In solid condition too.

Posted Image

1 of 3 minis

Posted Image

Posted Image

1 of 2 Sciroccos. This was a '85 model with small headlamps, the other was a later 1989 model.

There were also 8 Citroen 2CV6's in various states of decay.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2628/4231036885_e01bf99de3_o.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4027/4231036775_28d2f41fa2_o.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4028/4231805698_1d989a9415_o.jpg

http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4052/4231805836_be14c141a2_o.jpg

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2788/4231036659_10cfca9eb4_o.jpg

Posted Image

E24 (I think) Nissan Caravan - a comparative import rarity as most import vans seem to be Toyotas or Mazdas.

That there be a Nissan Largo. It's a C22 so based on a later Vanette and also sold as a Nissan Nomad I believe.

Thanks for the Nissan van correction, I didn't really get a chance to sniiff around it. Quite a handsome machine in a Toyota space cruiser/model F kind of fashion. Those cars with the Jag, are identified correctly by you keef - I would have like to have got closer and investigate but it was on a very busy road. Cheers for correcting my sloppy edit too VWpowered!

Posted Image

This was spotted behind the local Ford garage, probabily waiting for the distributor to dry out....

Hey look, its got lengthened front wings, and the wheels are seriously oversized - I bet its got a K-series. In which case its probably waiting for a new head gasket.
My money is on a Honda V-tec unit.

Great spots, I really appreciate the quality of your pics and the the shite within.