Travelling with a camera: my photo scans from the early 90's

reallyloud

For some strange reason there is always a caddy or subaru pick up in there - air cooled VW's too are fairly regular - something to do with the volume of air cooled fanatics in the area - I recall there being tens of dozens of scenesters over the years. Best thing about the caddy was the local dealer sticker, which I nabbed. I like the 'VAG' font used on it.

I didn't know that the 323 was GT! Yey for me! The car was parked in front of what seemed like a traditional middle class 60's type open plan bungalow suburb (see the jensen pick) so I suspect it belongs to some older bloke whos had it since new.

That Dolomite is almost certainly has a toledo shell, and has a Rover V8 in it, so its almost certainly not original.

Thats the very same yard r.welfare. The Subaru pick up looks in fairly decent order too asides from the inner bed rot. The Vauxhall astra mk1 I posted a while back is in just as good condition but now has a smashed rear boot window.

Posted Image

Thats the very same yard r.welfare. The Subaru pick up looks in fairly decent order too asides from the inner bed rot. The Vauxhall astra mk1 I posted a while back is in just as good condition but now has a smashed rear boot window.

Posted Image

Now that's just criminal :x

Thanks VWpowered! The site is getting a bit unmanageable these days - there are over 3000 images of cars on there, so its high time for searchable facility on it.....Andrew E, I've sent you an message....The Astra is still complete, but its taken a few knocks and bashes since I took that photo. We all know that its going to take a real fan of these cars to save it but other than the GTE versions there doesn't seem to be that much interest in them - old enough to be interesting but too new to have that real collectability.

Thanks VWpowered! The site is getting a bit unmanageable these days - there are over 3000 images of cars on there, so its high time for searchable facility on it......

im approaching 10,000 now and well past that point looking at new ideas and doing a bit a day lolsadly my server for some strange reason wont let me use php, so html it'll stay for the moment..

I really like the MK2 Astra GL - I like the weird font of the rear badges, shame they didnt use it on any other models in the range at the time. IIRC the F-reg on 'small grille' ones had the normal font again.And surely those nice alloys on that SD1 will be of use to someone somewhere? :(

• 2 weeks later...

Settling into my latest abode, armed with camera found these local beauties.

Posted Image

Looks great in green.

Posted Image

Posted Image

These were the UKs most scrapped car - nice to see an earlier one.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Driven by an absolute honey. I was too gobsmacked to ask what it was doing in the UK on Portugese plates.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

This will be up for grabs soon - another one of joncedrics cars.

Posted Image

Chuffed to have seen this.

And a little self indulgance - I'm finally driving this thing around! I bought it way back in June 2005, and its been in storage ever since. Earlier this 'summer' Joncedric got it through a MOT (yes really) and its only now do I have space on a driveway to keep it. Needs a front valance, wings, a back seat, minor attention and a paint job to bring it up to scratch. It cruises really nicely and its the first time since I sold the Galant back in early 2007 that I've been enjoying a RWD car. Feels great.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I have a desire for one of these late model 80s. This is rather tidy.

Posted Image

This will be up for grabs soon - another one of joncedrics cars.

Would be great to repatriate this to Hull; I'd love to have locally registered old car, I wonder if I could justify the cost. A10 triple esses are not the cheapest Datty these days! Probably came from Jordans originally.

The roof is brown vinyl! And a horrid (but period) pop up sunroof.

A few more random spots while I've been roaming the roads.

Posted Image

These things are still very popular.

Posted Image

Lurking in someones garden. Probabily seemed like a good idea to keep it. I suspect its quite useful for storing compost, old CB radio magazines and chicken wire.

Posted Image

The same owner who has the Citroen van owns this quality motor too.

Posted Image

Another useful old japanese truck still in use.

Posted Image

Saw this accelerate impressively just prior to me taking this sneaky shot.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Why the steel rims and E30 hubs? Possible cheap replacements or genuine pov specification when new.

Posted Image

Lovely solid old relic, no doubt owned by an elderly owner. Kicking myself for not photographing a X reg yellow suzuki Alto which escaped from me and still in shock for after seeing a 1972/73 Carina identical (+ buggered wings and disoriented driver) to mine stuck in traffic. I shall hunt thy down.....

And finally this is for sale -

Posted Image

Posted Image

Not an unreasonable price neither. The car is at the Ford garage which is bang opposite Didcot train station - I would have considered it myself if it was the earlier version - but I suspect this is a far better machine.

There used to be a Golf identical to this one flying around Telford in the 90's, dont know whats happend to it since though.

Posted Image

My Dad used to have an A-reg Cavalier so I've a real soft spot for these, I would dearly love to drive one.

Posted Image

A neighbour in Telford used to have one of these many years ago, I remember he used to be into his scrambler Bikes.

Posted Image

Lord Sterling

I reckon you're right on the metric replacements for the E23, Andrew - a 728i might have had steels as standard equipment, but not a 735i - and certainly not with those horrid (IMHO) trims, which would have been E28 boggo standard spec of the day. I think E30s were still on naked (but quite nice) steels in those days, pre-facelift like.Carlton is a honey, I do like the design of those alloys. Never driven a 2200i but a carb'd 2-litre is nice enough for sure. No doubt this one will have the lump and 'box (if it's a manual) ripped out for a Manta, Ascona or Shovit when it dies.

Decided to brave the rain and attempt to enhance my social skills with a retro rides meet up at the Seven stars pub near Petersfield - quite a eclectic selection.

Posted Image

This was really well done, the car having previously been in a skoda showroom with ultra low mileage - but I don't think the current owner actually did the modifications through.

Posted Image

Another tastefully finished car, interesting owner too.

Posted Image

Did like this too, red velour interior with an autobox and painted wheel trims.

Posted Image

Very interesting looking device.

Posted Image

As posted on various forums recently, but full credit to the owners for spending a small fortune on getting it restored - his logic was totally sane - they've owned the car for 8 years and spent very little, so a full works paint job and spruce up makes total sense.

Posted Image

The Excellent Bicklemobile was appriciated by all.

Posted Image

And I removed the steel wheels with remould tyres and replaced with magnesium Enkeis. They have about 6 hours worth of air before they go flat but look quite swish. I plan to paint up the steels and get some real tyres over the next few weeks.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Good selection of ales available too.

I saw these fairly recently as well, kind of forgot about them.

Posted Image

A supersport no less!

Posted Image

Love the rusty hubcaps. I wonder how many 'ring me' notes have been left under his wipers over the years?

Posted Image

Not seen a basic spec saloon in a while.

Posted Image

humph.

Posted Image

Must be one of the very last ones before the unloved 19 came along.

Posted Image

Splendid and very solid.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image