1985 Accord EX-R SOLD!

Spottedlaurel

See my 'Your Cars' thread on OJC for more detail about it:

http://oldjapanesecar.proboards91.com/i ... 1199358196

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Tax expires end of March '08, MoT is end of September so you'll get a very pleasant summer's use out of it.

New rear silencer and two new Avon tyres fitted (fronts are an excellent pair of Michelins. It's very clean and drives very well, and the interior is pretty much immaculate (as well as being very plush).

Facelift model means it gets the 12-valve engine, which may mean there is scope for upgrading to later 16v or even VTEC units. Wheels are 4x100 fitment I believe so should be easy enough to change if you wish.

Or just leave it as is, it's a great thing just as it stands. Ratdat had a play recently and will vouch for how nicely it drives. It's very competent.

Inevitably there's a bit of bodywork required. Could do with a LH wing, or at least some repair to it, and there's the odd bit around the filler neck, sunroof and 'screen surrounds. Probably makes it sound worse than it is. All it needed for the last MoT was the ends of the sills repairing, which I had done by getting sills from Hadrian and cutting the ends off to act as repair panels, rather than just having them patched.

Has a fair bit of history with it, it used to belong to the parents of the chap who I bought it from. However I can't find any record of a recent cam belt change - I bought one for a fiver off eBay on the previous Accord and it was 2hrs labour to have it fitted. Water pump seems to be on a separate drive so isn't something you necessarily need to factor in if having it changed.

It owes me about £450, but I'm looking for something around £400 (p/x on an Xbox 360 considered!) for a quick sale to a good home. Buying a new house means running four cars is just a bit too much for me, and the Laurel hardtop is the one I really want to keep.

Immediate membership of the J-Tin Grandad Gang is assured, though I'm afraid I will be keeping the PROBUS and bowls club stickers. New owner can have the Werthers Original though...

Is your saloon the facelift of your red one? (itself a facelift of the first version of that style in the early 80s, my preferred version, although my out & out best is the MkI from the 70s. Do all your ones count as different styles of Mk2 or are they all separate marks?)

£60-70?! I get 30mpg out of it round the lanes, should be better on a run so only £40 or so I reckon. Open to offers which will more than allow for those sort of costs, and like I say I’d consider an Xbox 360 as part of a deal. Random I know, but if I can’t have so many real cars than at least I can pretend on Forza.

Is your saloon the facelift of your red one? (itself a facelift of the first version of that style in the early 80s, my preferred version, although my out & out best is the MkI from the 70s. Do all your ones count as different styles of Mk2 or are they all separate marks?)

Yes to the last bit. Both are facelift models which were sold alongside each other, but whereas previously the saloon and 3dr had the same front end, with the 1984-85 facelift model they gave the 3dr a slopy front and no chrome trim to make it more sporty (!) and had upright lights and glitzy trim on the 4dr. Looks as if wings would interchange though, maybe even bumper too, as it’s all just done with superficial bits. 3dr loses some 20cm in length behind the rear wheels giving it an oddly truncated look.It really was somewhat more than a facelift for 1984 as the engine and gearbox were new, as I understand. Whatever, it certainly worked as it’s a fine car to drive even by the competent standards of mid-80’s Japanese cars. Not massive inside though, but I find the saloon offers a touch more headroom at least.

£60-70?! I get 30mpg out of it round the lanes, should be better on a run so only £40 or so I reckon.

Ah, but I'd need to get to you first!!! I was figuring at about £40 for a return trip in my car and £30 odd in the Accord back here again.If you lived 5 minutes away I probably would have succumbed to it's charms by now.

• 3 weeks later...

So, to add to what seems like everyone else here on Autoshite buying or selling car, the Accord went on Saturday! As OJCers will know, it now lives with Mash and he seems pleased with his purchase so far. Good to keep it within Autoshite/OJC circles.Money's already been spent, sadly this time not a random 3rd car but a nice Olympus DSLR camera, freshly imported from the USA by local friends. Won't get used much for spotting duties but will be good at shows, and it frees up the Nikon compact for daily use by me.BTW, red Accord is still with its Polish owner but I've got someone on OJC very keen to get that so hopefully its future will be assured too.

BTW, red Accord is still with its Polish owner but I've got someone on OJC very keen to get that so hopefully its future will be assured too.

I think I must have missed something on that. When did you stop owning the red coupe, did that make way for the saloon, but you still have connections to it? :?:

BTW, red Accord is still with its Polish owner but I've got someone on OJC very keen to get that so hopefully its future will be assured too.

I think I must have missed something on that. When did you stop owning the red coupe, did that make way for the saloon, but you still have connections to it? :?:
Yes. I sold the red 3dr last year in order to free up some car money to get the Galant on the road. Trouble is I had the cash in my pocket and found the 4dr round the corner from me literally the next day, I was too weak to resist…If I hadn’t bought that maybe I’d still have the Galant, it wouldn’t have gone to the ‘Ring with PC and Hirst wouldn’t now own it. All because I chose to go one way home and not another.I have such confidence in the cars I sell that I’m quite happy to remain in touch with their new owners! The 3dr Accord went to the friend of a Polish colleague, so through him I’ve kept tabs on it. He knows it’s a good car and that I want to make sure it goes to a good home should he ever want to sell it, which he’s thinking of doing right now.