THE GUBBERMINT ALWAYS KNOWS BEST

MIG welder, 90 Amps or more and make sure it's not a gasless one.

Whats wrong with gasless ?My clarke has the option of using a gas bottle or not The gas in a pressured bottle kind of scares me, so i use it gaslessYes the welds can sometimes look a little less neat compared to gas,But as long as they penetrate propperly and are strong... who cares what they look like as they can be dressed ?Or in my stupid ways ... have i missed something ?
Isn't gasless wire about four times as expensive as normal wire? This sort of makes gasless welding a false economy.

Trigger, just buy a half decent mig and have a play around with it. Thats all i did and its sufficient. I did a college course about 8 years ago for £40 for 6 weeks and got a student card too which was a bonus. However I never started welding until a year and half ago where i had to learn all over again. Not that the college course was much help as working on the car was sooooo different to standing there welding 2 bits of THICK metal together. Plus we only spent 1 week on mig one on stick one on spot and so on.Practice a bit and you will get the hang of it. My welding is still pretty poor in comparison to a professional but is still better than taking it to a back street garage who will just plate over the griff for MOT standard. Its not up to there proper resto jobs that you see but its solid. Once its a solid bit of metal, a wee covering of filler will hide your sins. Plus i am getting better.

Yes i think your right, I might have to bite the bullet and buy one.^ I had just swept!, The last owner built the workshop about 6 years ago for building furniture in so it's never really had much old and dirt spilt in it, and the floor is painted, It's a nice size too, Lots of room for crap!.

Dependent on whether the rain stops - if so, it's a coolant flush/change and cleaning up the ABS pump connections on the 405 (as the latter is chattering away like mad all the time and making the brakes act odd), and fitting a new front foglight to the Accord; I suspect that wiring repair is required as well, and as the bumper needs to come off I'll rattlecan some of the flaking point again.

I have been "gifted" (read owed a favour) a Dead Citroen Ax petrol. It lost all lubricant and coolant during the foul weather, and the owner has bitten the bullet, and has bought a 3 year old Focus on the never never. Therefore the AX is mine, and I was meant to be picking it up from 12 miles away on a towrope on Sunday, but due to unforeseen circumstances (not giving me his address yet) I will do it next weekend. Anyone got a petrol AX engine?Uncertain of the size, but it's N plated I reckon...... Bonus!!

My main aim tomorrow is to not drive anywhere. We got back from our driving holiday yesterday, and I clocked up another 200 miles today. Oops. BX has some nasty crap on the windscreen so I must get to the bottom of that as it's horrific to drive in rain at the mo. Have tried many potions with no joy.2CV needs the crossbox fitting. Still. Renault still needs the starter removing, but I haven't got a new one yet, so no rush I guess, though I may bench-test the old one just to see if I can find out what's wrong with it.Saab was FAIL today as the brake caliper is still fooked. I'm just ignoring that. If anyone wants a Saab 900 and doesn't mind a bit of tinkering, let me know! Ratdat - your van is superb and with your skills, will be amazing when finished. Can't wait to see it again!

I have been "gifted" (read owed a favour) a Dead Citroen Ax petrol. It lost all lubricant and coolant during the foul weather, and the owner has bitten the bullet, and has bought a 3 year old Focus on the never never. Therefore the AX is mine, and I was meant to be picking it up from 12 miles away on a towrope on Sunday, but due to unforeseen circumstances (not giving me his address yet) I will do it next weekend. Anyone got a petrol AX engine?Uncertain of the size, but it's N plated I reckon...... Bonus!!

This won't make you feel any better but I wish I'd seen this earlier, I've just got rid of all the AX stuff I had sitting around. Had a couple of good 1.1 litre motors with it too. I will ask my mate if he's willing to let me have one of them back. Might be too late but I'll give it a go. :wink:

Umm. Well at some point i need to put new discs on my van, and the week after net take it to Mr_Bol for cambelt swappage, at the same time collecting the device to PUMP UP THE JAM on my Maxi. Oh and run the BMW in for an MoT too. Finding the time to do this could be interesting as I am FULLY BOOKED for weeks, including weekends. Why is it not possible to have time AND money??

Well, got the 2CV sorted, which is nice as I've been missing it. Had another look at the Renault but it's still too wet to lie around underneath it, so I'm not going to touch it again until I've got the the parts. I did push it forward a bit just to make sure the brakes aren't all seized up. Amazingly, they weren't yet the Saab, which has been sitting for just over a week, made a real bang when I drove it forward yesterday. Haven't tried moving the Mini yet...

My report should really be in the grumpy old man thread!I've done naff all to any of my cars for months. The Starlet needs a good dose of Bilthamber but it's been too wet when I've had the opportunity to do anything about it Mash Senior (Dash in fact!!) is using the 323 because his car is in the bodyshop after a minor prang on New Year's Day but at least that means he is tinkering with it too :wink: The Triumph I haven't driven since I don't know when and it's looking very forlorn at the moment. Still waiting for me to get round to doing the engine rebuild I've been threatening for ages.The Violet is SORNed and keeping warm and dry in the garage and the Datsun 1000 is tucked away too waiting for a relatively dry day to go out for a run.The B11 Sunny is still languishing on the drive awaiting better weather when I can get stuck into the engine problems (need to find one first and my latest lead is in fuggin' Wales!)So piss poor progress really and I'm sick of working my arse off in the office or going away on surveys with very little time to myself latley. Roll on spring!

Well, I shall be DJing in a bar called The Looking Glass in Leicester. Myself & 3 mates play a funk/Motown kinda night once a month at a couple of places. The night is known as 'Funky President' (after the James Brown track). So this afternoon was spent going through a load of records selecting a few new tracks, which is uncharacteristically professional of me.If anyone has the faintest interest, this shall be my set list:I Like It - Players AssociationKeep It Coming Love - KC and the Sunshine BandJerkin' The Dog - The FoundationsI Hate Hate - RazzyDance to the Music - EnchantmentHigher Ground - Stevie WonderLove is all you Need - Rita WrightShoo Rah! Shoo Rah! - Betty WrightYoung Hearts - Candi StatonFunky President - James BrownHot Thing - PrinceLook Up - SantanaYour Love is so Good For Me - Donna SummerFunky Music is the Thing - Dynamic CorvettesNutbush City Limits - Ike & TinaerFunky Street - Arthur ConleyBronco Dub - Lee PerrySuperstition - Stevie WonderSure Nuff and Yes I Do - Cpt BeefheartI'm the Only Sane Man Alive - Bellamy Brothers

For reference, our night went very well, and I didnt pay for a single drink all night. WIN!

Been to see the Vicsmith mystery motor and it's a minter. Forgot to take the camera though! Soz fellas. Next time.Also reversed the Laurel's foglight into a rock and knocked it off its bracket. No damage sadly. Shame as it looks rubbish.

Been to see the Vicsmith mystery motor and it's a minter. Forgot to take the camera though! Soz fellas. Next time.Also reversed the Laurel's foglight into a rock and knocked it off its bracket. No damage sadly. Shame as it looks rubbish.

Spill the beans then....what is it??Also, whats going on in your sig? OJC-The Comic?