THE GUBBERMINT ALWAYS KNOWS BEST

In response to complaints of not much posts about shite lately, how about a bit of a news update thread? Might work. Fetch the news van!

Posted Image

I'm sure someone might be doing something interesting - quietly welding up some old heap, etc. Don't just tell us about your own lot, I'm sure most of us end up messing around with other motors. I'm just at work today, but there's some shite either side of it.

Posted Image

Installed the roof sign on the Laurel the other night, then took it off again. Also won a centre box for the Stanza at the cost of 99p which is proudly sitting in the hallway. Just need a back box, which I should be able to obtain for £15 and a drive to Leeds.

Posted Image

After work I've got to pop over and finish sorting out a mate's Alfa 155. This isn't it, looks exactly the same though. Nowt spectacular, the battery has been flat from him not using it in the rubbish weather. I disconnected it all and stuck it on charge last night - astounded at how much faffing around it takes. Loads of weird ground leads held on with fiddly bolts, with everything absolutely drowning in grease. Took me ages to do it with my rubbish £2.50 spanner set. With a bit of luck it'll have charged up OK, otherwise it was a gigantic waste of time!

Posted Image

Meanwhile, Autoshite villain and enemy of the people, Vicsmith, is hopefully taking a break from his busy schedule of constantly watching The Wright Stuff in order to collect some giffer-spec mystery shite soon. You should find out in due course, unless he doesn't bother going or it turns out to be a right old shed or something. Doesn't sound like it though!

Anything happening at your end? Make it at least car-related, if not shite-related. Not interested if you bought the DVD boxset of Bread, or went to see your gran and she started moaning about kids sitting on her wall and the fact that Morrisons have put the price of lard up by tuppence. Unless you also went to see her because she's got a Maxi with crispy sills and you blathered them in Isopon and underseal prior to MOT.

Stick a few pictures up as well, might make it interesting.

painting the bonnet of a Cortina mk3staring up a Cortina mk4Digging a drainage ditchdelivering cataloguessorting out my network hubconverting my old vynil to MP3tidying up the spares shed and moving some engines infeck knows after that.....

This weekend I shall be spending Saturday doing a few jobs on the Sprinter - flat paint needs a bit of buffer love to make it look more respectable and osf wing could do with some paint if its warm enough (ha!). Then on Sunday, said Sprinter will be getting flogged down the M6 & M5 to deepest Gloucestershire to collect some 'retail display equipment'. Might try and find a nice pub for lunch on Sunday as well :wink:

No photos I'm afraid but this week I have fitted a new master cylinder to my p100 truck, overhauled the front calipers and changed the brake fluid. I've also replaced the cambelt and pump belt and changed the oil, and fitted a dangly door mirror to it which I am most chuffed about. I have reassembled the Integra following welding/painting and dropped it off for an MOT this morning as well. Good productivity this week! Next week nowt is happening as i'm away in Romania with work! BUNA ZIUA.

No photos I'm afraid but this week I have fitted a new master cylinder to my p100 truck, overhauled the front calipers and changed the brake fluid. I've also replaced the cambelt and pump belt and changed the oil, and fitted a dangly door mirror to it which I am most chuffed about. I have reassembled the Integra following welding/painting and dropped it off for an MOT this morning as well. Good productivity this week! Next week nowt is happening as i'm away in Romania with work! BUNA ZIUA.

Sub tropical Rumania or is it frozen tundra Rumania for next week?

I Ar up to my ears with old car stuff at the moment.

The Herald is running quite nicely with its new motor but there's plenty of finishing off to do. Some is to get it done so its properly drive-able (finish trans tunnel, air filters, re-wrap loom) some is to continue the disguising of the engine (plug leads, cam cover mods)

But more importantly its MOT runs out next week and I was hoping that a day or so in the dungeon would have the small(I hoped) amount of welding I knew it needed done. I spent all day down there on Wednesday and uncovered more than I'd hoped. As ever it would be possible to bodge it and get a ticket but there's no point doing that on a long term car like this.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Still, you've got to hand it to this car. We've owned it for 12 years during which time it has never been garaged and has done more than 100,000 miles. Its relative lack of deterioration is quite amazing.

The B is getting readied for sale. There are a few small niggly things to sort out first, like the broken 1/4 light catch, hazard flasher unit etc. Bits should arrive shortly so hopefully I can get them sorted over the weekend, clean it up adn get some good photos for adverts.

Hillman soldiers on as necessary too. Windscreen washers got bunged up completely on our run to Manchester at Christmas and the two way jet broke as I was trying to remove it. Got a temporary solution in place but need to fix it properly.

Last Sunday I made some rear light gaskets for the Peerless, fitted the tail lights back on, wired them up and they mostly seem to work. I drilled the scuttle to fit the screenwasher jets but because they were meant for 1mm steel instead of 8mm GRP it was a fiddle to get them on properly. I put the front bumpers on but didn’t have the correct nuts to hold them on so I went to buy them from a fastener supplier today, a great place where all the blokes where overalls and they’ll sell you screws in (paper) bags of 1 or by weight (by the pound, naturally).This weekend if the weather is dry I’ll have a go and firing the engine up again, stale petrol hasn’t done the carbs any favours and I probably need to reset the points and timing. Then I’ll reconnect the front indicators and relay up and see if everything flashes when it should.The Polo just keeps going, never needing anything more than a few drops of petrol every month. I used to check the oil every few weeks but it never moved so I haven’t bothered for ages. If only everything in life was as reliable as a 1987 Volkswagen with 135,000 on the clock

........I plan on climbing Stob a'Choire Mheadhoin and Stob Coire Easain in a rush, so I can get back to the workshop in Glen Roy to rip the ignition out of a fecked Volvo 440 and replace the barrel with the switch out of a domestic electrical appliance.Predictably the car will have an electrics related fire of doom some time next week - but hey that'll be another good weeks service it has given :D£76 for a scrappy sourced ignition barrel? :evil:

No photos as yet, but i have finally manged to drag myself out of the warmth to start welding up some more of the Imp. Had been dreading this bit as it looked the worst bit of the car when i started, as the inner wheelarch had started to have been repaired at some point and had never been joined to the wing, as it was about 2-3 inches off the side all the way round but its weathered surprisingly well (i.e. the metal had been cut out and never replaced). The cutting must have been pretty recent in relation to the other repairs on the car as upon removing the underseal its pretty solid, so just needs an extra bit of metal to attach it. How it had previously got an MOT i have no idea? The metal behind the gap looks surprisingly good too but i am reaching behind and giving it a good coating of hammerite. There was obviously a bit of fibreglass on there like on most of the car but at least this time they had not fibreglassed anything structural. Was just the boost i needed for imp based shenanigans. My housemate said that it was about time something went right on this car. I also need to look at the Rocco as i need to tart it up for sale and get myself another car. Really want to get shot and buy another hatchback to tootle around in but cant until i have 1 car less. I am lacking Rocco based motivation. Keep seeing cars i want and am getting moist but need to sort myself out before i get any more heaps. Have avoided drinking so i dont do something stupid on e-bay.

I will be trying to find a front wheel bearing for the 9000 (must be the season for bearings going - it's the second one I've had to do this week) and fixing the exhaust blow / trying to sort out the choking up in traffic and crap fuel consumption on the 104. And hopefully selling the Fourtrak.

I'm getting my Dodge van ready for a full respray. It's by far the biggest thing I've ever attempted to paint and the prep work seems endless! It took me three days to sand the paint off the roof. Little bit of welding needed here and there but not too bad considering it's nearly 30 years old. I reckon with the paintjob i have planned, it'll make me about three weeks to actually paint it :roll:

Posted Image

I have been finishing a few small jobs before installing my Herald's rebuilt engine. I had planned to have the thing running by now, but just before Christmas I busted my back picking up the gearbox. It's only this last week I've been flexible enough to return to the garage. I'm very glad I bought expensive assembly lubricant rather than chancing it with engine oil, should have paid off after this unscheduled lay up. The clutch release bearing has already beaten me (farmed out to local garage), but I've replaced the clutch itself and rebuilt the master cylinder, which had spent the last couple of years seeping fluid over the bulkhead.

Sadly not a lot. Proton: Hoping to get a cash injection so I can lob some four star into it and give it a bloody good 'Italian tune up'. I'm actually looking forward to it as so far the handling seems fantastic and I want to push it a bit more to see how far I can take it. I shall also probably try and find some Chavs in kitted up Saxos to race. Try and bum a stereo off a mate and fit it, no Radio 2 or cheesey quaver cds=fail. Pajero:Nowt exciting but need to start play with the myriad buttons/switches/dials and see what they do. Also could do with removing the wheels to see if there's an obvious reason there's a slight pull to the left.Merc: Maybe, just maybe, it's time to wheel it out of the garage for the first time in like ages. Then I'll probably just clean it, take some more pictures and push it back in.Can I bring myself to sell it? I don't know.

Well, I shall be DJing in a bar called The Looking Glass in Leicester. Myself & 3 mates play a funk/Motown kinda night once a month at a couple of places. The night is known as 'Funky President' (after the James Brown track). So this afternoon was spent going through a load of records selecting a few new tracks, which is uncharacteristically professional of me.If anyone has the faintest interest, this shall be my set list:I Like It - Players AssociationKeep It Coming Love - KC and the Sunshine BandJerkin' The Dog - The FoundationsI Hate Hate - RazzyDance to the Music - EnchantmentHigher Ground - Stevie WonderLove is all you Need - Rita WrightShoo Rah! Shoo Rah! - Betty WrightYoung Hearts - Candi StatonFunky President - James BrownHot Thing - PrinceLook Up - SantanaYour Love is so Good For Me - Donna SummerFunky Music is the Thing - Dynamic CorvettesNutbush City Limits - Ike & TinaerFunky Street - Arthur ConleyBronco Dub - Lee PerrySuperstition - Stevie WonderSure Nuff and Yes I Do - Cpt BeefheartI'm the Only Sane Man Alive - Bellamy Brothers

Well, Im working Sat and Sunday 7am to 1pm then so long as its not raining I shall be breaking out a nice tin of Dynax S50

Posted Image

and Bilt Haambering the Micra to prevent crustyness (actually the cross member is already displaying slight crusty tendancies so that will be K rusted first then Dynaxed)*

Posted Image

*Other rusty Japanese cars are available.

Well, Im working Sat and Sunday 7am to 1pm then so long as its not raining I shall be breaking out a nice tin of Dynax S50 and Bilt Haambering the Micra to prevent crustyness (actually the cross member is already displaying slight crusty tendancies so that will be K rusted first then Dynaxed)

I was reading in PC the other day that you should not use rust cures before using Dynax or BH as it makes matters worse.....

I've been spending the last few weeks tidying up the sill's on my 1602.

It's had a few patches over the years and then stonechipped over so I've been grinding them back, Treating them properly with etch primer, normal primer, fresh stonechip and painting them like they should be.

Posted Image

Wings are a bit rusty but I'll worry about that latter, Also been wirebrushing under the arches and brushing them black with underseal, Lovely.

Posted Image

Got to fit my lowering springs at some point but I'll have to get my dad to do that as i don't know how do!

This week i started on the nearside, Took the chrome trim off and got to work with the grinder.

Posted Image

Oh, Not as good as the other side, luckily this has another skin behind, I should get away with some fiberglass and filler here.

Posted Image

Oh cock, this/was is my jacking point, I can't weld and haven't got a welder even if i could, Bollocks, and the car isn't taxed, Double bollocks.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Oh, Not as good as the other side, luckily this has another skin behind, I should get away with some fiberglass and filler here.

Dude, I know this is Autoshite but don't take the fibreglass and chickenwire approach here, sills are structural on a car like yours!

Ebay or Gumtree for a MIG welder, 90 Amps or more and make sure it's not a gasless one. Get a visor that's suitable for MIG (the arc is brighter than for gas welding), Argos for an angle grinder, disconnect your car battery and alternator and get going.

Or if you don't fancy it and don't have any mates with welders nearby, ask at the local college if they're doing welding courses and tap up the teacher to see if you can ask for a volunteer from some of the students.

This weekend I will be mostly replacing the cooling fan on the wife's 106, the cambelt on the Polo, the front wheel bearing on the Cavalier (and swapping it back to standard shocks) and pouring a kettle or 2 of boiling water over the Cavalier's rear parcel shelf, to kill the mould.

Dude, I know this is Autoshite but don't take the fibreglass and chickenwire approach here, sills are structural on a car like yours!Ebay or Gumtree for a MIG welder, 90 Amps or more and make sure it's not a gasless one. Get a visor that's suitable for MIG (the arc is brighter than for gas welding), Argos for an angle grinder, disconnect your car battery and alternator and get going.Or if you don't fancy it and don't have any mates with welders nearby, ask at the local college if they're doing welding courses and tap up the teacher to see if you can ask for a volunteer from some of the students.

I did do welding at college but that was 13 years ago so can't remember how to set the welders up, I've done Oxy-Acetylene as well as Mig, Keep thinging about geting a Tig welder as they don't get so hot but can't afford one.I have a mate at work who said he will do it but it won't be until March and I will plate the other hole, If I'm doing the jacking plate it be daft just to bodge of the other hole.

MIG welder, 90 Amps or more and make sure it's not a gasless one.

Whats wrong with gasless ?My clarke has the option of using a gas bottle or not The gas in a pressured bottle kind of scares me, so i use it gaslessYes the welds can sometimes look a little less neat compared to gas,But as long as they penetrate propperly and are strong... who cares what they look like as they can be dressed ?Or in my stupid ways ... have i missed something ?

No pictures but I will be taking the Micrap to the former Mrs Claim's favourite lesbian, gay, bi-sexual and transgender MOT testing station for it's £20 quid in the ashtray ticket. I had "forgotten" it had expired but a nice £60 fine courtesy of a Merseyside Police ANPR unit helped jog my memory no end.