"Owned by a non-smoker"

pogweasel

What is with the sudden prevalence of this phrase?Is it because of some sort of totally mis-guided handy-hints in the "How to sell a car on eBay" guide?Is it a result of the new laws on public space chuffing?Whatever, it's really getting my goat. Why does every eBay ad now state categorically THIS CAR WAS OWNED BY A NON-SMOKER (And then go on to NOT describe how it has no brakes, a blown headgasket and only 3 wheels)??? ANd how important is this, really, on a shonky old crate?What about if the -current- owner was a non-smoker, but the owner before the owner before that was? Can you get them on some kind of misrepresentation? As a shiter who is quite partial to a spot of golden virginia (or benny hedgehogs if I am feeling flush!) it's really not very high on my list of priorities when buying a car. But would other shiters bear this in mind? EG: "I WOULD NOT BUY THAT MINT MITSUBISHI TREDIA TURBO FOR £100 WITH FULL TICKET. IT HAS BEEN SMOKED IN. MEH!"Over to you:

The Charmant has a small cigarette burn in the headlining and one in the passenger seat. Have never noticed any smell of cigarettes or anything, I don't smoke, but to be honest I don't mind the smell.It wouldn't put me off, I like cars to have their own unique smell to them, it would add to the character.Now, where is that £100 Tredia Turbo?

I loved a lot of things about my R25 TXI, but one thing I couldn't live with was the horrendous stench of stale fags that came with it when I bought it. When the ashtrays had filled up someone had even taken to flicking their ash into the tape deck!!I guess I bought it thinking it would be an executive express, all leathery and sumptuous, but from an olfactory perspective it was like driving round in an old red phone box.

It's been annoying me as well. I thought this whole anti-smoking thing had gone as far over the top as it could possibly go, but apparently I was wrong. I'm sure several of my fleet hav ebeen smoked in, but to be perfectly frank I couldn't give a flying f**k. It's not like you're going to die of lung cancer from sitting in a car in which someone once enjoyed a Lambert & Butler, is it? I don't smoke myself and I don't particlarly like people smoking around me, but the way this whole smoking ban thing has been dealt with really cheeses me off.

Ahh, I suppose that would make something of a difference. I don't think I have ever used the ashtray for it's correct purpose, usually just full of coins for car-parks. Fag ash goes out the window, as does the end. And whatever vehicle it might be is hoovered religiously and meticulously. And flooded with magic trees. That's how I roll.

Guest greenvanman

It's been annoying me as well. I thought this whole anti-smoking thing had gone as far over the top as it could possibly go, but apparently I was wrong. I'm sure several of my fleet hav ebeen smoked in, but to be perfectly frank I couldn't give a flying f**k. It's not like you're going to die of lung cancer from sitting in a car in which someone once enjoyed a Lambert & Butler, is it? I don't smoke myself and I don't particlarly like people smoking around me, but the way this whole smoking ban thing has been dealt with really cheeses me off.

The second R5 I had was owned by a chainsmoker before me - the thing stank, and once you'd been in it for 10 minutes you did too. Shampooing the carpets and seats did nothing for it either. Have to say I won't be buying a car from anyone who smokes tabs in future.

Confession - I smoke Marly Lights and I love 'em. They're bad for me, but so are most of the things I do nowadays. I have smoked in every car I have ever owned, and will continue to do so till the wife's nagging finally does me in and I quit.I find that opening the window by 2 cm while sucking tar, positioning said fag between drags by the window opening so that smoke naturally flows out; never using the ash-trays; opening the window fully when stuck in traffic (and not smoking when rain is against the driver's side); being careful not to drop ash on the carpets; having leather seats wherever possible and insisting passengers do the same results in a car NOT stinking of smoke. I can't understand the pleasure of smoking still exists if you roll up the window and never empty ash trays.

i think every one of my motors bar the metro i owned from new has been smoked in. Even the ex gp practice owned blingo. Never bothered me. Kids on the other hand... Advert's should say if the vendor has had kids. The interior of the blingo is dirty and sticky where various things including i jest ye not toothpaste has been dawbed all over the upholstery. Kid muck defies modern cleaning methods.The interior of the bx smells like a take away thanks to the old ronie mac wrappers in the passenger footwell.

I've had a few cars where it's been an issue.My cousin always used the floor instead of an ashtray and he sold me his Marina. If you hit 50 with a window open it would kick up a dust storm.I bought a SAAB 99 that had nicotine on the windows thick enough to scrape off. Mr Muscle bathroom cleaner shifted that.We were given a Mazda 626 by the in-laws. I'd say there was rarely a moment when the car was occupied without a cigarette burning and they'd had it for about 6 years. That car was undrivable, whether you are a smoker or not. The windows were opaque and the interior was brown instead of blue. More Mr Muscle, coupled with foamy shampoo and lots of Febreze made all the difference.I've had dozens of cars though, most of which must have been smoked in without getting in that state.

Tabs and dogs do it for me - in houses or cars. On a car costing serious money, I'd probably walk, unless there was some other over-riding reason to buy it. BTW, as for kids, if one of them chucks up, I found washing the *very* offending area with biological washing liquid, then steeping it in that dog urine dissolving enzyme stuff you get from pet shops will get rid of the pong. You don't get top tips like this on Top Gear 8)

bloody kids get everywhere i bought an old ford cortina once must of been used as a playroom for em sticky sweets under the seats when i took the rear ones out maccy ds was there in all its mouldy glory half eaten stuffed behind seats

As an ex-smoker, with the occasional lapse, I wouldn't let a car that smelt like a lung put me off buying it - I don't think fag ash and the lingering aroma of lucky strikes constitutes a health hazard. Old cars have their own smell anyway, so I guess it adds to the character - in fact its unusual not to smell anything when you sit in an manky old SD1 or Victor.I think if the car smelt of rotting milk, then I'd walk away.

I loved a lot of things about my R25 TXI, but one thing I couldn't live with was the horrendous stench of stale fags that came with it when I bought it. When the ashtrays had filled up someone had even taken to flicking their ash into the tape deck!!I guess I bought it thinking it would be an executive express, all leathery and sumptuous, but from an olfactory perspective it was like driving round in an old red phone box.

Absolutely right!! If you're a non-smoker, that vile stench is reason enough to not even consider buying a car. I went to look at a really tidy R25 Monacco a year or so ago, but as soon as I opened the door and filled my nostrills with fag stink, I turned and walked away!

I can clear up the confusion - if you sell a car on eBay these days, thanks to their remarkable 'outsourcing' of the process, "this car has been smoked in" or "this car is owned by a non-smoker" are standard phrases you can 'drag and drop' into the description.As a reforming addict, albeit one who tended to pull into a layby to enjoy a gas-stick in the open air, rather than smoke it in the car whilst on the tabs, the fact that a smoker had owned a car I really wanted probably wouldn't put me off. My 405 estate has either been owned by a committee member of ASH or a tabacconist though - it really stinks. As did my old Sigma - what is it about chainsmokers and old estate cars?We're going to be getting my dad's Accord shortly for my wife to replace her troublesome Fabia, and that's been smoked in - a lot. I will be pulling every trick in the book (including probably removing the seats and door trims) to get the smell out before she drives it. Thanks, Dad :roll:

It's definitely annoying when this seems to be the vendor's priority over anything that actually gives a good clue about the car's bodily state.

Give me a good description of the car's mechanics and rusty bits first please. If I see non-smoker at the bottom I'd probably think, "OK that's a bonus" but it really isn't important on an old car to me. I reckon 20 years of dog hairs are harder to shift than a bit of fag ash!

Oh and here's the only Tredia Turbo you'll get for £100, Hirst :lol:

Posted Image

Seems the owner spent more on Players No.6 than Waxoyl :lol:

Thanks to Darren for the pic :wink:

By the way Marinast, any chance you can make your avatar a bit smaller please? I don't have widescreen and it's pushing the threads off my monitor! :P

Blimey Arthur - I thought you'd gone into hibernation! Bloody global warming - you've woken up too soon! Snuggle back down and we'll look forward to hearing from you again in a month or two. Shall we send someone round and sweep the dead leaves back over you? :wink: