Ashes to Ashes

Jazzy Jeff

I really liked 'Life on Mars' but I'm not looking forward to 'Ashes to Ashes'. Mainly due to the fact they are using an Audi Quattro as a Police car......No copper in 1981 would have an Audi. In 1981 Gene Hunt would have had a driver and would have been in a MK 2 Granada or a Rover SD1.......It just destroys the whole programme for me.....Audi Quattro wasn't even in RHD in 1981 and the RHD one I've seen in the publicity shots has a V plate that was originally on a biege 1979 Datsun Sunny, and has post 2001 numberplates!!!!....... Writers trying to make it like a 21st version of the Eighties which never existed, because an Audi Quattro is cool now....I've edited the drunken blathering bit :lol:

I see exactly what you mean. Did they not have several automotive anachronisms in LoM too? I'm afraid I gave up watching it towards the end of the first series. When it came on I would put my headphones on and watch a Sweeney episode on DVD. Like Top Gear, LoM appealed more to my wife.

They've already noted in the BBC bumpf that the Quattro ain't exactly realistic or indeed period - looks like an '83-on model to me (sloping headlights and of course RHD!). But, as they say, "who cares? It's a cool car". I'll be watching regardless...

I'll watch the pilot episode and decide whether to watch the rest of the series, although I highly doubt it to be the most tat filled show ever, for authentic 80s London just watch an episode of Minder or three :DTBH the street scenes will all consist of an over restored aircooled VW, rubber bumper MGB and a mk1 Sierra on a 1978 T plate. Rant Over :lol:

I think the 'bird' is Keely Hawes, who used to be in the 'Spooks' series, and also something about Victorian lesbians that got the Sun very excited!I agree about the Quattro, it would have well out of any cop's reach unless he was on the take. A SD1 would be been much more in character.The thing is.. 1981 was quite depressing as far as I can remember- strikes, a big recession, riots in many cities etc. The 'boom' years of the 1980s (that this show will reference) started a bit later - Yuppies, red Porsches, Duran Duran, etc - around about 1983 or so?

Mainly due to the fact they are using an Audi Quattro as a Police car......No copper in 1981 would have an Audi. In 1981 Gene Hunt would have had a driver and would have been in a MK 2 Granada or a Rover SD1.......It just destroys the whole programme for me.....

Yeah, but look beyond the obviously noddy realism of the setting (ie all the blatantly obvious chronological errors, like Sam Tylers Casio LCD wrist watch that got so many peoples knickers in a twist) and its quite a cracking bit of entertainment. It does not pretend to be "real" like the Sweeney (which I am not knocking and enjoy), its what it is, a bit of fun. Roll on February....

Yeah I right enjoyed it too - with a healthy dose of suspending disbelief of course.I thought it was good sport watching out for all the same cars in every episode.Tan Marina/green commer van/capri etc etc.Will be checking out Ashes to Ashes for the same!The Blue cavalier in the opening credits was the only one with a real plate.THAT'S how bored I get in the evenings.Jesus wept.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't seen any ads for Ashes to Ashes stateside but they did show Life on Mars which seemed to be popular based on the number of repeat showings it got. I really enjoyed it, especially the anticipation of 'and then he woke up and it was all a dream'. This article was a little bit interesting, Philip Glenister mentions how they came to choose the Audi. http://driving.timesonline.co.uk/tol/li ... 374905.ece