Old Shite

ashmicro

Posted Image

My mate Johnny's 1990 Nova Sting 1.2. I rebuilt the brakes and replaced both driveshafts and all CV's, rebuilt the carb. Totally standard and going strong until April 2004 when the back axle parted company from the monocoque and nearly killed us both. The rear swingarm/subframe thingie dug a 16-odd foot trench out of the road surface, and pitched us into a bank. Loadza smashed glass and the sunroof popped out. Us and the car were taken home on a bulldozer transporter (from my work) and then I was taken to hospital to have glass removed from my head.

Posted Image

My (late) Uncle Bob's 626 1.6LX. This car still exists at the back of my Aunt's garage, and still starts! There's a HUGE coating of dust on it as it's been there about 10/11 years, but it's on axle stands and I start it up every few weeks. When the old bird pops off I reckon it's mine. Unfortunately the Lotus Seven that's in there won't be coming my way...

Posted Image

My (t)rusty mark 4 Fester 1.3. I was putting a thousand miles a week on it as a field service engineer for ICL (now Fujitsu-Siemens). Bulletproof crossflow never gave me any bother, handled well and kept up with the big boys on the motorway. I changed the oil, filter, plugs and pads every 4 weeks (£40). Super little motor.

Posted Image

Replaced the Fester with this beastie, a 190E 2.0 manual. A veritable TANK of a car, and fast too. My mother smacked it into the back wall of their garage, and because there was no damage to the car, we assumed there was no damage to the wall. Wrong! The door at the back wouldn't open, and the entire wall had to be knocked down and rebuilt.

I actually got more for this car when I had finished with it than I paid for it - a man came to the door and offered to buy it. An epic and truly beautiful vehicle.

Posted Image

My favourite car ever - the Rover 216S with great big "GB" and "NI" ovals on the back window. As you might be able to tell, this photo was taken sur la continent (southern France) in the summer of 1989 when I was 16. That day was 38 degrees, and the Frogs were saying "Ah, voiture Britannique! Nous n'avons pas de pompe à eau pour un Rover"

Didn't matter, the car didn't miss a beat all the way up France to Calais, all the way up England and Scotland to Stranraer, and then from Larne to Carrickfergus and home. Fabulous car, especially considering my mother and sister had a bootful of crap in it.

Hope you liked my old cars, I have some more photos to follow of my Dad's old motors.

That Mazda is indeed super-basic. My late Uncle was super-mean, wouldn't spend Christmas. Then he went buck-mad in his old age and bought a Saab 9000 Turbo and got chased by a 4 ton Royal Ulster Constabulary Land Rover. One of these at the bottom.

No digital cameras in those days, and the police couldn't prove it, so when they came to his house they just told him off

Posted Image

I think the yellow headlights would be painted on. You used to get special paint/varnish to use for continental trips. It was a bugger to get off again as I recall. Alternatively you could put black tape over part of the headlight lens.I'm pretty sure it's illegal to have yellow headlights now, even in France. The tape solution is illegal too. You have to buy deflectors that don't obscure any part of the lens.

As far i i know its not illegal to have yellow headlights, I had some on my MK1 Renault Five, when I got stopped by a copper i asked him and he said not, Plus a taxi company round these parts called 'Amber Cars' have most of their cabs fitted with them so you can spot them in the hoards on a saturday night.

As far i i know its not illegal to have yellow headlights, I had some on my MK1 Renault Five, when I got stopped by a copper i asked him and he said not, Plus a taxi company round these parts called 'Amber Cars' have most of their cabs fitted with them so you can spot them in the hoards on a saturday night.

I noticed that cab firm's cars when I used to go through Holbeck. All newish stuff too. They had a Marea estate with yellow headlights which I thought looked good so it had crossed my mind to do my Brava the same, if it was possible....

The stuff on the 216's lights was indeed a nail-varnish like substance called "Conti-Lens" (therefore known in the motor trade as CuntyLens). Removal was an absolute bugger, requiring cellulose thinner. Having got some of it on the bumper, I had to take said bumper off and blow it in.

Yellow lights are indeed perfectly legal in the UK, and should pass an MoT fine.

They must show a steady white light to the front, or a yellow light, if incorporated in a headlamp which emits yellow light.

Note that the yellow paint is not intended to alter the beam, it's just the French used to use it to prevent dazzling. The beam deflectors would still need to be used when using a RHD car on LHD roads, and vice-versa.I quite like the 'fried egg' look of painting the bulbs, not the entire lense... still looks pretty yellow in the daylight but not quite as urine-y.