Renault 12 Estate Rescue - Old Autoshite celebrities???

mouseflakes

No, wuvvum, you do not need another Renault 6.

A nice 12 estate, on the other hand...

And that 18 TD sounds like a useful bit of kit. Didn't think they ever sold the turbo diesel version over here?

Pretty sure it's just called that as the petrol models were TS, TL etc. Didn't the Supercinq come as a 'TD' without turbo as well? Still sounds like a useful derv-belching classic wagon to me...

Pretty sure it's just called that as the petrol models were TS, TL etc. Didn't the Supercinq come as a 'TD' without turbo as well? Still sounds like a useful derv-belching classic wagon to me...

It actually says "turbo diesel" in the ad - I was just too lazy to type it out in full. A mate of mine in France had one about ten years ago and it was bloody quick, did about 50 to the gallon too. It's an old ad though so probably long since sold.

It actually says "turbo diesel" in the ad - I was just too lazy to type it out in full. A mate of mine in France had one about ten years ago and it was bloody quick, did about 50 to the gallon too. It's an old ad though so probably long since sold.

Oops, I didn't read that. Probably worth a call anyway, sounds like a rare bird...

I've got four old Renners at the moment plus a few spare sets of keys from ones I've had in the past - I'm sure I could persuade at least one to fit. Won't be much use to you at the weekend though. If you need to open them to get them on the trailer, I should think old Renault locks probably aren't that hard to get past, and ignition barrel removal should also be relatively straightforward.

SORRY! An old copy of the page must have been cached on my machine - just tried a shift-refresh et voila - the ads are still there! Dope! :oops: My R12 door 'locks' opened using my thumb nail. Ignition will be more awkward. Steering lock on those if I recall. Need the key to unlock the barrel and remove it. There must be a way though......

Check the ads on the RCCC site.

Aren't these two R12 (mark2) estates someone's spots? Torsten, datsuncherry, Electric Ladylumps? They are currently 'in distress' apparently.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Yep they certainly are. The oldish couple who own them have these plus at least 1 saloon, and they are all parked up between Crouch End/Finsbury Park. Talking with the old dear who uses them to transport plants around, she says the cellar of their (rather large) house nearby is crammed full of R12 parts/engines/all sorts.

Lovely, lovely motors. Especially the blue one (now faded to purple), well shabby.

You can normally take the cowlings off and chisel the shear bolts round to remove the whole lock from the coloumn, long process but will work.

Ah - but I seem to recall a steel pin that pops out the barrel into a hole in the steel tube it sits in when the ignition key is turned to 'off'. Luckily the hole is not blind-ended, so perhaps possible to drill the pin from the outside?I might have a spare barrel for rebuilding 'after the event'.

Yepp thats right- but its a bugger in situ. I'd take the cowling off to see if the shear bolts still have their heads on -some do. If not. I'd smash a t handled screwdriver down the ignition, hearty twist and jobs a good 'un. Fun explaining to the nice officer!!Dont need one -thank god -but willing to help -if needed -and back willing.

According to the nice lady the purple one's the better of the two! Looking forward to it honestly, one of my colleague mis-spent his youth in a manner that should assist me getting them moved!

She's responsible for the upkeep of that greenery area on the apex of Upper St and Essex Road in Angel (Islington Green is it called?).

Those two 12s are superb! I love slightly eccentric old dears who have ridiculous motors. Round where my parents love there's two sisters in their 90s who live in a massive dilapidated house and drive ther white '71 Mini - but only in first, second, and reverse. Saw one of them nearly do a U-turn into the path of a bus once. There's still a tax disc from '74 on the window... Spoke to one of them once, it's got 21 k on the clock apparently, but looks like it's just come from Iraq or something.Seriously though, good luck on saving them. BIG fan of 12s.

They're mine, mine, all mine!!! Luckily the Purple one was left open so I have a chance to get at the ignition, green one a little trickier though there is a huge pot of Renault keys which they're trying to find plus the hoard of R12 spares in the cellar. The Bonus is it looks like I'm snaffling the 1976 saloon as well a little later in the year!