SL's latest car quest: Sorted!

Spottedlaurel

Am I right in thinking it's just a radio controlled Subaru MV pickup? Did they called it Brat in Japan? I'm thinking how cool it would be if there was a radio controlled toy version of all the cars we like! Imagine, radio controlled toy Morris Marina van with AA decals one the side! 8) Or Radio contolled Citroen GS with raising & lowering suspension!

Hmm - total sales would be about 6!Tamiya are re-releasing a lot of their old stuff at the moment, re-engineered for the new Millenium. I noticed the Lancia 037 came out again a couple of years back, but at £200 just for the kit it was too much for me. And these days, because shopping centres and supermarkets are open on Sundays, there's nowhere decent to run the things. Been a good five years since my last Tamiya R/C car. I have experimented with those small ones though, XMODS, Kyosho Mini-Z and the Tomy equivalents, quite entertaining if you have laminated floors and not too much furniture... :lol:

A buddy of mine has a Vanessa's Lunchbox with lots of fancy "tune-up" parts fitted, great fun to skid around his garden!As for the cars, SL, you MUST get the Medalist. I mean, just look at the radio!! You know it makes sense. The 323 is cool - too cool for the likes of us.

Massive danger of taking this a long way from the potential coolness of a pillarless sedan with a pimp interior but yes the Tamiya brat is legendary. I got hooked onto tamiya R/C cars after watching the rich kids show them off at lunchtime in the school hall when I was 12. I bought a sizable amount of them off friends a few years later when they started going off them and getting interested in recreational activities, such as casual alcohol abuse and skirt. I have about 10 of them in various states of condition, the best on is a mid eighties Toyota Celica GR5 rally car, I also have the afore mentioned Lunchbox, brat/frog, monster beetle, a very unstable Pajero that wheelies and a few off road buggy things. I used to have a Ford Ranger, but that got smashed up by a boy racer in a Manta. They are expensive and I've only ever bought 2 new, and thats only because they were heavily discounted after xmas - a racing mini and a VW 1300, both a ton each with radio gear and batteries from Modelzone in Holborn.

They are expensive and I've only ever bought 2 new, and thats only because they were heavily discounted after xmas - a racing mini and a VW 1300, both a ton each with radio gear and batteries from Modelzone in Holborn.

Why's it called Brat, may I ask?Holborn Modelzone......don't tell me the last Beatties in the country is now just another Modelzone?Modelzone in Brighton is great, any more than 5 people want to go in at once, you have to take a ticket & stand outside! The stairs to the stock room in the cellar are just behind the counter, so you see the bloke steadily get shorter & shorter as he disappears behind the counter, down the stairs! I swear if you leaned over the counter, he'd just be crouched down there waiting till you've gone, and there'd be no staircase at all! :lol:

I think it's to do with that Subarus here were firmly marketed at farmers, whereas the Brat was marketed towards young drivers looking for something fun and different. Don't think farmers would go for that!

Red doesn't seem like the right sort of colour for these sort of cars, one of my Charmant brochures has a red one and it just looks totally wrong.I reckon just obtain the badge for the bonnet (via Yahoo Auctions?) and go cruising! It's cool even with hubcaps.Though I reckon the usual J-wheel choices would go well, SSR/Impul Mesh type stuff.Out of curiousity, wonder what my Equips would look like on it?

OK, doesn't look like there are any badges on it saying Brat, but it's certainly what the brochure says...

Posted Image

Posted Image

The Subaru Brat will take you and your gear anywhere you want to go. It will then stop halfway there, turnaround and take you back the other way, because it's a petulant sod!

:wink::lol:

Right, I'm getting a bit confused. These 'hardtop' things look quite nice (although I have to say that white/black combo on the SL version isn't -very- appealing)... they seem fairly sleek. But the Laurels we got here seem much more upright and frumpy, with a steeper angle on the rear screen. Or am I confuzzling my Laurels?I'm thinking of the sort that SL had last winter or the winter before... seeminly only available here in tow-tone blue or gold....

Red doesn't seem like the right sort of colour for these sort of cars, one of my Charmant brochures has a red one and it just looks totally wrong.I reckon just obtain the badge for the bonnet (via Yahoo Auctions?) and go cruising! It's cool even with hubcaps.Though I reckon the usual J-wheel choices would go well, SSR/Impul Mesh type stuff.Out of curiousity, wonder what my Equips would look like on it?

I agree about the colour. White and gold would be my choice any day.Badge can be dealt with in part by putting the UK one on, at least it'll fill the hole. Getting one in conjunction with a rear light and other oddments from Japan is a good idea.

I quite like the colour scheme, but I would prefer some obnoxious combination like champagne and dark blue, if they did that.However, I have truly awful taste.

Small update. Collecting it next week, when it's going to be whizzed straight round to the capable and symapthetic hands of R-Rer Stuyizz for an MoT.

My Dutch friend Iwan kindly did a couple of brochure scans for me:

Posted Image

Posted Image

Which Hirst and the IT elves at OJC HQ have sorted for me. Thanks!

So, who is the mystery laughing Japanese man? Looks like the other chap is holding an LP or something with him on, and Nissan at this time did have celebrities tied into various cars - Paul Newman on the Skyline, Jack Nicklaus on the Gloria, Jocky Wilson on the Stanza, Una Stubbs on the Pulsar etc etc.

Well, by accident I found this excellent site: http://car-cm.zdap.jp/nissan/laurel.htm

Which basically seems to be a series of stills from Japanese TV ad's and is certainly worth further investigation. Found the C32 one easy enough, and there's the laughing man. It says music by Sadao Watanabe, and there's a pic of him with a sax. Quick Google revealed that's who it is! So, I really ought to buy something by him for when I'm wafting around in the C32 (nothing later than 1985 mind).

Edit: Yes Pog, the UK version was the pillared sedan with a much less sleek roofline. Here's my old one, still festering on the drive (and I'm now very glad it hasn't gone, with all those handy bits on it).

Posted Image

Posted Image

So, who is the mystery laughing Japanese man? Looks like the other chap is holding an LP or something with him on, and Nissan at this time did have celebrities tied into various cars - Paul Newman on the Skyline, Jack Nicklaus on the Gloria, Jocky Wilson on the Stanza, Una Stubbs on the Pulsar etc etc.

Looks like he's holding a special Asian edition of Phil Collins' Face Value album!