Get this signed

Maltelec

I wonder what the success rate of such petitions is...

Its something I've often thought about too. If the Government wants to ammend or repeal a law I'm not sure whether we are strong enough in number to do so. They're making a shiteload of cash from us, so why lose that volume of income?

If you petioned for it to be for vehicles over 30 years you might stand some chance but I can't see the government suddenly making another decades worth of tat tax exempt. There's still a lot of early 80's vehicles on the road and that adds up to a lot of revenue.In the light of current environmental goings on, I can't see them wanting to tarnish their green credentials by being seen to encourage the ownership and use of old cars either. The government have precisely nothing to gain from allowing rolling tax free status to cars so why would they do it?

I'm sure a pretty hefty petition was given to them less that 6 months ago for exactly this reason (30-yr rolling exemption), they just said 'aint gonna happen'.

This is true. I think their main reason was 'why give up revenue and make running old cars cheaper?'. They (the magical and all powerful 'they'!) might move it forward in the future - to 1980, say, but it rolling along is not going to happen.I'm slightly amazed anything like free road tax ever was granted in the first place. Must have been a very well connected Tory MP with a fondness for old Bentley's!

Tories introduced the 25 year thingy, Labour took it off again.Personally I think they should encourage people to keep their cars, not force them to buy new "greener" ones every 5 minutes.Do you know how much energy is wasted in making a new car? Enough to run said car for about 3 years!!!!My land rovers have even been recycled once. Remove old chassis, put on new chassis. No plastic shite just pure steel, so that went to the scrap man instead of being crushed and shipped to China where they just dip the car, plastic and all, in the melting pot. They don't care about the plastic burning or the fact that the metal is piss poor quality.