R20 Update....

Baz

Oh,what a great car. I want it! Renault 20 TL, 1977- that red interior is just incredible!!!http://cgi.ebay.fr/renault-20-TL-climat ... dZViewItemDaniel

Hey that french one is literally the Mooses' cock AND balls!Bit snazzy on the inside there - is that a French market thing?The one my dad had when I were a lad was a 20TL... that had black vynil with black cloth inserts. None of that red & cream jazz. Oh, ace spotting restecp due to torsten as well.

Cool....It even has an "11" in the number plate, just like....

Posted Image

....Glad it's not my ACTUAL car though....You had me worried there for a while!

The good news is, Darren has sent me all the documents for the car (including a HUGE pile of invoices for parts purchased/work done, and some really rare brochures)....The car itself is nearing completion too - I dunno if I dare be so bold as to say that it'll be with me THIS YEAR, but it's definately getting there....I WILL prove all of You who are doubting that this car even exists wrong eventually! :lol:

It's interesting though....'Cos now I know how a Morgan owner must feel!

Wow Baz, that looks lovely - got any more pics to share??

The only pics I have are those that I posted in my original thread about this car, and the ones I posted at the begining of this thread, but rest assured, as soon as I've taken delivery You'll get so many pics, from so many angles that You'll be sick of the sight! :lol:

how do they feel ?

They have to wait ages before they take delivery of their cars! I cancelled my order for a brand-new, top of the range Fiat Panda a few years ago, because I was gonna have to wait 3 months for it, heaven knows how I've managed to wait this long....12 months and counting....I'm pretty sure it's gonna be worth the wait though! :D

This....

http://autoshite.commlm/forum/viewtopic.ph ... ht=renault

....Is the original thread, from what seems like about 10 years ago, but I'll just re-post the only two other pictures I've got here to save the searching....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Price? I paid a fahzand pahnd for it....Initially I considered that to be a lot, but coughed up cos I really wanted the car....Given what similar Renaults from this sort of era seem to be reaching on ebay and the like recently, I'm confident that I'd be able to recover my outlay if I sold it on....Which I won't be doing! :D

Y'know there isn't one single photo I've seen that makes me understand why restoration was necessary! :?:?:

Put simply, the vendor is somewhat of a perfectionist....Originally it was gonna be just bosh an M.O.T on it....Then we got into discussing the possibilities of fitting the lowered/uprated suspension from a 20TX that was sitting about (which has all been powder-coated), then a flange from one of the front wings got mislaid, hence the purchase of the Paris-Dakar wing!I was even offered a brand new engine....Of which he has two! :shock: Vehicle is in the paintshop very soon, so I believe we have light at the end of this very long tunnel! :D

Y'know there isn't one single photo I've seen that makes me understand why restoration was necessary! :?:?:

Put simply, the vendor is somewhat of a perfectionist....Originally it was gonna be just bosh an M.O.T on it....Then we got into discussing the possibilities of fitting the lowered/uprated suspension from a 20TX that was sitting about (which has all been powder-coated), then a flange from one of the front wings got mislaid, hence the purchase of the Paris-Dakar wing!I was even offered a brand new engine....Of which he has two! :shock: Vehicle is in the paintshop very soon, so I believe we have light at the end of this very long tunnel! :D
all of this at no extra cost? :shock:

all of this at no extra cost? :shock:

Yes....I have clarified this on two or three occasions, as I was worried the I was gonna be asked for another great big wodge of dosh at delivery time, but he just wants me to have the car in a condition in which he'd be happy to receive it!

I've pointed out that it's a £1000 car, nearly 30 years old, but that's the deal apparently....I'm looking forward to meeting Darren in person, he's obviously quite an enigmatic chap....And to hopefully seeing his own 30TX, which has had MANY, MANY times it's market value spent upon it over the years! :shock:

Baz, sorry dude I just can't get my head around this free upgrade bizniz..Does the guy have millions of time or something? some sort of ragged overalled philanthropist? odd car owners and sellers tend to verge on the greedy.Can't help but think he's gonna ask for a wedge nonetheless.. (not a princess :roll: )

• 4 months later...

Spiffing....Received an e-mail from our man last night, which can be summed up in five words: "I'm skint, so screw You"....In it he casually explains that I'm a long way down his list of debtors, and that he can "probably afford to pay me £2 a week" :lol: No hint of an apology....He seemed rather proud of the situation! :roll: He is claiming that he can't afford to finish the (unsolicited) work that he has started on the car, and complete his side of the bargain by giving me an M.O.T'd car that I can drive home....I'm a reasonable chap, so have offered him a way out: He has my car....I want my car....I am willing to go up there and collect the pieces of my car on a flatbed truck, bring it home, and put it back together myself....If he's genuine, there shouldn't be a problem should there?We'll see....

What a nobber. Get down there with the flatbed pronto and recover the car. Or you may end up with no car at all. You can find a way of inspiring him to reimburse you after you've safely secured the motor.I can sort you a drivers side front wing if it still needs it and that saga was a load of tosh :)

....If he's genuine, there shouldn't be a problem should there?We'll see....

Sorry Baz, but I sincerely doubt he is 'genuine' in any way shape or form.How did you pay for the car? (as going back in this thread it appears you have not met him).Are you sure that you legally possess the car? If you are then I would go and physically it get ASAP, don't ask for his opinion/permission. It may be being kept on premises that aren't his anymore, for example.If you are not, then I would consider contacting a solictor or citizens advice bureau to find out your options.

I've been watching this saga with increasing disbelief!! Surely, if you payed for the car, it's yours (do you have the V5) so you are within your rights to just go and get it? I have actually met the guy once- I posted a pic of a near derelict R 30 in here about 3 years ago, and he actually bought it, and came over to try and get it in a fit state to drive it back to his place. Arrived with an impressive selection of tools, plus boxes full of brake parts etc., hoping to drive it home (no tax or MoT, been sat for over 10 years!!) In fact, it refused even to start, though it turned over ok. Suspected a problem with the auto box, or possibly the injectors. He left it where it was, and eventually gave up on it- I think, sadly, it was scrapped. He seemed like a genuine, knowlegable, enthusiast, but there's definitely something very odd going on here.