Taxi!

On that mystery middle car, I thought it may be a Datsun Bluebird (like wot my dad had).

Posted Image

In searching for a piccy, came across this cracking site from chile:

http://200.6.96.203/compraventa.asp?codcli=624&pag=2

some old j-tin halfway down past the Daewoos. Apoligies if its been found before...

And a Ritmo on page 3!

Second post. Woo hoo. :lol:

The minicabs around here are all fairly dull.... mostly crap like those Kia bloatwagons (sedona?) and big new Citroens. Does surprise me how many minicabbers have 57-plate cars though, does it really pay that well? One chap has a 57 Mondeo Titanium thingie, must be well over £20k worth!Back in the student days (1998-200ish) when minicabs were a daily hazard, I remember plenty of pug 405 diesels and sierra sapphires. I once threw up in the back of a bluebird too and legged it without paying the soiling charge.

The Sunday papers often carry ads for leasing midsize saloons (usually 407s) fully kitted out for taxi duties, along with those Fiat/Citroen van type jobs - not the Partner/Blingo one, the slightly bigger jobbie the name of which escapes me - anyway, it's called the "Eurotaxi 7" because it has 7 seats. So perhaps for some cabbies it's easier/simpler to do it on tick, rather than the hassle of garnering some ex-lease crap down at BCA.

Some years ago, a lot of the taxis in Telford were diesel FSO Polonez. :shock: I think it was because the council said taxis had to be under three years old, so all those nice five-year old Carinas went, to be replaced by the BOGOF (as with Asda baked beans) 'Shite before it left the Showroom'.

Hi,

this one drove around in Frankfurt some time ago. Hope it still does:

Posted Image

Posted Image

It is the 64 bhp non Turbo version :D But it does look great!

Daniel

Oooh, that's really nice. I'd miss my turn in the taxi queue just to get a ride in that!

• 4 months later...

Hi,here is an interesting German video - a children's program of 1972 about a Taxi driver and his life. The "Program with the mouse" was similar (but better) than Sesame Street:

Great pics of old cars and Cologne- but somehow very depressing! Even the commentator sounds depressed :D Danielp.s. four years later, new drugs seem to have hit the streets of Cologne: "we are the six of the garbage collection..."Great to see them in a good mood! No wonder our generation turned out strange!

I used to love the Toyota Taxis in Hong Kong when i was out there in 1995/96 with their industrial sized rear door openers operated by the drivers, I always wondered if the old Morris Oxfords and Austin Cambridges of a generation before had the same mechanism but could never find anything, anyone know about that?

i spent a couple of days in Singapore in 1985..aged 18..alone with money!..i remember being very impressed with the new Jappers..having jus come from Australia where it was still Ford and Holden dominated..and local info declared cars to be very expensive at that time...so it was all well flaash!

Posted Image

Posted Image

beige gallant in the back ground too :lol:

along with those Fiat/Citroen van type jobs - not the Partner/Blingo one, the slightly bigger jobbie the name of which escapes me - anyway, it's called the "Eurotaxi 7" because it has 7 seats.

Fiat Scudo / Citroen Despatch (also Jumpy?)/ Peugeot Expert

Bucharest cabs I've been in:

Citroen DS, summer 05,

1977 Merc 280 S-class, summer 07.

In the smaller provincial towns it's quite normal to find 70s stuff still used as cabs, especially stacked headlight Mercs and very early Dacias. Not quie as great as one town in the 80s which used a 5-door Rometsch coachbuilt Beetle, circa 195e, just like this:

Posted Image

I used to love the Toyota Taxis in Hong Kong when i was out there in 1995/96 with their industrial sized rear door openers operated by the drivers, I always wondered if the old Morris Oxfords and Austin Cambridges of a generation before had the same mechanism but could never find anything, anyone know about that?

Never saw that when I was there 18 months ago - sure I opened the door myself! The cabs are pretty random though, mainly Toyota Crown Customs with a very formal, square bodyshell and high roofline, squashy vinyl rear bench with stacks of legroom, column shift and running on LPG! There were a few Nissan equivalents, but Toyota had the lion's share. Dirt cheap form of travel too...