New Year Resolution

Electric Leyland

New years resolution is to finish off the Avanzato and either drive it regularly or punt it on so I can buy something else I'll use more!

Not to buy any more cars.

*bids on Rekord estate on eBay*

More seriously, paint the back doors on the 405 estate so it's all one colour; change the wing for an undented one; and get the towbar wired up.

Get the saloon running on veg oil - must read up about pre-heaters - and wire up it's towbar too.

House-type DIY is going to keep me busy for much of the first half of 2008 so cars must take second place for a change.

I'm hopefully going to see some use out of both my old timers. My resolution is to get at least one of them into regular use again. The Renault hasn't been in action since last April but thanks to Nigel is now road ready (well, still needs MOT, Tax & Insurance but that's by the by), the Ritmo will hopefully receive some overdue attention & will hopefully be recommissioned in time to make a show this year. I'm hoping to get both put onto some kind of classic limited mile policy but we'll see!

I've just made one serious one. To stop neglecting this website.

Good! Will the same go for Mr H-S too?As we might be moving house, tat-based activities will have to be curtailed for a bit. Well, at least in the sense of acquiring more, but hopefully the opportunity to reorganise things will alow me to make use of the rather ample amount of stuff I already have.Honda might have to go, but I'll keep the Laurel going for this year at least then make sure I tuck it away if it does have to come off the road for a bit.

I haven't made any new year's resolutions this year apart from not buying any more basket cases that I'll never get round to sorting. I was going to make a resolution not to buy any more cars until I've got the current fleet sorted, but we all know there's no way I would ever be able to stick to that unless eBay were to go bust (and that ain't going to happen).

I've not really made any resolutions however thinking about it, in 2008 in need to get my R4 sorted, find the bits I need and fit them and then use it more. Being an R4 I tend to treat it as though it is water soluble so it doesn't go out much in the rain so in 2008 it needs to see more use! Then later in the year find myself a decent R11 - Turbo or ph1 TXE would fit the bill nicely!

1, Get a new job....One that allows me a life (including more "Autoshite" time).

2, Buy a big motorbike....Probably German (Haven't quite worked out where the funds for this are coming from yet)

3, Prove that the fabled Renault 20 DOES actually exist!

please remind me what sticky means!

EL - it's that sensation you get every time a Gamma appears on ebay.
That's certainly one interpretation, the one I had in mind is the facility to make a thread or topic sticky as in 'sticks to the top of the page' as used on other forums. Anything important that needs to be remembered or topics that are frequently covered & re-covered can be made to stick or be 'pinned' to the top of the message board so that they never become lost amongst all the other threads. Then for example when a new forum member asks how to post pictures or do such & such we don't have to keep telling people, they will see for themselves if they read one of the sticky topics! Voila :D I don't know if it has to be installed though or is an option that just needs to be 'turned on' I just know it's damn useful.

please remind me what sticky means!

EL - it's that sensation you get every time a Gamma appears on ebay.
I geddit. So a "sticky thread" is one's monitor screen wearing a pearl necklace, right? :wink:

That's certainly one interpretation, the one I had in mind is the facility to make a thread or topic sticky as in 'sticks to the top of the page' as used on other forums. Anything important that needs to be remembered or topics that are frequently covered & re-covered can be made to stick or be 'pinned' to the top of the message board so that they never become lost amongst all the other threads. Then for example when a new forum member asks how to post pictures or do such & such we don't have to keep telling people, they will see for themselves if they read one of the sticky topics! Voila :D I don't know if it has to be installed though or is an option that just needs to be 'turned on' I just know it's damn useful.

I see now. Thanks Sir Mr Ritmorrison for the clarification. How many current topics could this apply to? About half a page's worth?

I see now. Thanks Sir Mr Ritmorrison for the clarification. How many current topics could this apply to? About half a page's worth?
Could be......sounds like a job! :shock: That proves the problem because you'd have to search out what has been previously covered, which wouldn't need to be done if the threads had been 'locked'. Darnit there's another term - Sticky, Locked, Pinned, they all amount to the same thing. Might be best to just use it for anything that applies in future.

Purchase (or at least drive!) a Ford Cortina Mk1. Shame I waited about 9 years, during which the price of a decent one has increased by about 300%. :( Sell the Rover 75 as it is sitting around doing nothing.Otherwise, as I will hope to buy a flat this year, shite efforts will be probably be limited.

Purchase (or at least drive!) a Ford Cortina Mk1. Shame I waited about 9 years, during which the price of a decent one has increased by about 300%. :(

Sell the Rover 75 as it is sitting around doing nothing.

Otherwise, as I will hope to buy a flat this year, shite efforts will be probably be limited.

Sorry if this has already been posted on here before, but....

Jim Clark's Cortina Sells For £136,000

Dec 6 2007

Posted Image

A 1965 Ford Cortina driven by Scots motor racing legend Jim Clark fetched a world record £136,800 at auction.

The 42-year-old Lotus Mk1 saloon was expected to fetch £80,000.

But frenzied bidding at the auction, held by Bonhams in London this week, saw the car go well above the guide price before it was snapped up by an anonymous buyer.

Mechanics spent a year restoring the vehicle, which was previously owned by Team Lotus, one of Britain's most successful racing teams, to its former glory at a garage in Exeter, Devon.

A spokesman for Bonhams said: "Ford's 1960s profile-raising competition programme included recruiting Lotus boss Colin Chapman to give the new Cortina a makeover.

"The Lotus Cortina in the auction was one of the original racing saloons.

"It was driven during the mid-1960s by legendary Formula 1 world champion Jim Clark while touring car champions Sir John Whitmore and Jack Sears also competed in the car."

Ford sold the car to Lotus in 1966, where it was then bought by an employee, and later sold on to collector Richard Coombes.

In 1965, it was possible to buy a Ford Lotus Cortina Mk1 saloon for just £1100.

Ford made 3301 of the Mk1 Ford Lotus Cortinas between June 1963 and November 1966.

Fife-born Clark, who won the Formula 1 world title in 1963 and 1965, won the British Saloon Car Championship in 1964 driving a Lotus Cortina.

My New Years resolutions are , to not get too stressed/angry at work...that lasted 2.1/2 days !!!And ........ to get the engine for the 405 back together and fit it into the car , mot it and get some use out of it!