Old Boy Car Repairs

As we all had a good laugh at that Honda Accord screw/bumper repair a while back, thought I'd show you this.

Today, despite a bloody rotten cold, I decided to take off the 3 remaining mudflaps (one was missing already) on the Galant as they were tatty, too low and I feel they just serve as mudtraps (pun not intended). I was particularly not looking forward to the driver side back one as that was an area I already know needed a bit of welding.

Anyway, with a bit of effort got them all off and started poking the rusty area on the lower back arch to see how bad it was, I already knew there was a hole, had a good tap and it opened up to an inch square. As I do not own a welder, welding it up is not an option, so I referred to the "Old Boy Car Repairs Manual".

Posted Image

Posted Image

PROBLEM SOLVED

But seriously, I will get it welded up. This is a temporary fix to stop the hole filling with crap, I intend to get all the rear bodywork done at the same time in the near future.

Looks fairly authentic though eh!

I was actually intending to do it with duct tape, but I couldn't find any in the shed, so I made do.That transparent stuff isn't actually sellotape, it is some weird tape I've never seen before, think it's for wrapping Christmas presents. Pretty strong! The black stuff wasn't much use mind.

Damn, that's rotten! Is it a 710 SSS :?:

Sadly, yes it was. I broke it for parts because it was just too far gone to be worth repairing :cry: I needed some of the interior for my yellow one so it did come in very handy. I actually swapped a rust free F10 semi auto for it which was kind of regrettable but I needed the interior trim bits and they were more important. No idea what happened to the F10. It went to Milton keynes but never heard any more from the bloke who had it.

Here's some more pics of the poor old thing...

Posted Image

Slight lack of sills...

Posted Image

Front of the roof...

Posted Image

Certainly looks beyond "rolls of tape" repairs, which I imagine are the reason it got into that state in the first place. The roof rot looks terrifying, I shudder to think what is under some of those vinyl roofs.

Gah! Bodger! Don't you know that you need pop rivets and some glavanised sheet steel to effect a proper repair?!

Posted Image

I much prefer lead flashing secured with sikaflex. Its very malable to any shape.

Damn, that's rotten! Is it a 710 SSS :?:

Sadly, yes it was. I broke it for parts because it was just too far gone to be worth repairing :cry: I needed some of the interior for my yellow one so it did come in very handy. I actually swapped a rust free F10 semi auto for it which was kind of regrettable but I needed the interior trim bits and they were more important. No idea what happened to the F10. It went to Milton keynes but never heard any more from the bloke who had it.

Here's some more pics of the poor old thing...

Posted Image

Slight lack of sills...

Posted Image

Front of the roof...

Posted Image

Blimy check that rot out!

I'd stick to BL tin, Allegros never rot out that bad. :D