Best car I ever had

Roc 24v

...was a 1984 Nissan Cherry 1.3 SGL, did over 200000 miles with no bother.It was snot metallic green with a CB aerial. The paint would blow off the sides if you jetwashed it.Great car, nobody else liked it though.Haven't seen one in years. I guess it was a bit shite.Other great car, although far less reliable, Fiat 127 Sport in black, I'd love another now!

My first Rover 213 wasn't my favourite. It got the nickname 'Parky', because it use to shake violently over 50. Driving into work with a horrible hangover with this happening (doing 70 because I was horribly late) was not nice.My dad then bought me and him a blue 213 that I could use to work because I'd fallen on hard times. I remember taking it out that night for a long drive and it just felt so solid and safe and comfy compared to the previous Fords I had owned. He then lent it to my sister in law and the water pump went. He replaced the pump and didn't do the timing properly and it destroyed the valves and was scrapped.

Hmmmm difficult one for me as my favourite cars haven't been the most relaible (Rover SD1 Vitesse) nor the most economical (Rover SD1 4.5i) or just had too many niggling little faults that ended up pissing me off (BMW E30 325i Sport)

I think in retrospect my favourite car despite owning the aforementioned BMW still as well as a newer M3 has to be....my 1996 Honda Accord Aerodeck, love it, bought it for a long European drive that it managed without so much as batting an eyelid, its crammed full of toys inc Air-con and cruise-con for them long journeys and it has cloth seats which I prefer, its reasonable on fuel and is generally very comfortable. I love it despite showing its age with bumps and dinks and being an auto its just perfect for slobbing out when you're trying to shift your carcass from the English breakfast emporium to the sofa. I do find the engine just a tad rough but then I do generally hate four cylinder engines, I have decieded to sell my M3 and keep the old girl thats how much I love it. (the Merc 190e 2.6 behind it was so smooth it actually hurt! just stank of burning oil.)

Posted Image

I think my favourite car is one that I haven't owned yet but will do hopefully soon will be a Lexus LS400, I've driven many big barges including loads of Lexi but the LS400 ticks all the right boxes, well made, refined, V8, reliable, crammed full of toys and boring-perfect!

Haven't seen one in years. I guess it was a bit shite. Funny you say that i seen a puple 3dr in birmingham think it was an A reg yesturday in the works van. :) Hadn't seen one in ages! My best car was my c reg talbot samba style in silver with the lacquer completly flaked off the roof an bonnet and dented rear quarter and front wing on the passanger side with no radio an a diffrent key for almost all the locks. Had a pop up sunroof though. So i was happy. My first car too an haggled the guy down from £200 to £130! Without doubt the best car ive ever or will have. Fond memories.

"Best" in terms of dependablity and easy-to-live-with-ness was my Mk3 Astra L75SWV. Dog slow, keep-fit steering & windows, and generally dull, but economical & reliable. I bought it off my mate's mum for £600, cheap at the time because it was up on the miles and kept overheating, the cause of which was a fecking huge hole in the bottom of the rad. Did squillions of miles in it all sipping the go juice. 'Er Indoors liked it too and would often abscond with it when I was on a train-to-london day. It's still out there somewhere, must have an interstellar mileage by now. Favourite was my E30 318iS, but my E36 variant comes pretty close.

I have a lot of affection for my Citroen BX 14TE. A very loyal servant.

Total agreement there; my BX 14 Leader was the most comfortable car that I ever owned. I had it for over 4 years and it only went when I needed something more suitable for motorway commuting; the low gearing and weird and wonderful valve gear made it sound like an explosion in a knitting needle factory.

I had a BX 1.6 TG, lasted a fair while, eventually the rear wheels ended up pointing inwards and the suspension pipes were totally fubared, so it was sent to heaven in 2000.Current crop of shite are 05 Citroen C1, I guess it doesn't qualify really, but weekend runaround is a 95 Ford Probe 24v, hated by some, but utterly fantastic piece of powerful, noisy, shite, I love it. Had it for over 6 years, and run the largest owners club in Europe for them (nearly 700 paid members).

Passat GL5 estate. Quick,quiet,loads of room and very economical. Sounded brilliant too. Had about 5 in total, 1 being an auto,which spoiled the car completely.Horrible old 3 speed box. Then on to a Santana GX5, which was mint and cost £200, thrashed it through Germany 5 up at well over the ton. Never spent a bean on it.. Some young lad bought it off me on sight for £500 and I've regretted it ever since.Moved on to old shape Audi 80's and 90's. 80 sports were a hoot,and never gave less than 38MPG. Wouldn't have a new VAG motor as a gift now though..

...was a 1984 Nissan Cherry 1.3 SGL, did over 200000 miles with no bother.

I had an 83 GL and loved it to bits. I wish I'd kept hold of it now. The little levers which remotely opened the rear windows always made me smile!

Posted Image

I'd forgotten about the window openers, great idea that.

A424 ODV was mine. I wonder what became of it.

Best? Hmm, depends on how you define it really.Possibly best was my Alfa 145 Cloverleaf. Fast, looked great (to me at least), great to drive and really had character. And also had hopeless reliability.I suppose best real world is my current Seat Toledo. Fast, comfy, reliable, relatively cheap to run, spacious.Could be the Citroen AX Diesel also. That was impressively cheap to run, reliable but also dull to the point of insomnia inducing.

it's between 2My Mk1 Fiesta 1300S Reg - UYE 5S - my first ever 'quick' car, would take hours of abuse and never missed a beat. (will scan a photo of it in when the scanner decides to work)or my beloved Renault 5 GT Turbo which I cherish to the point of obsession (I carpeted the garage for gods sake)

...was a 1984 Nissan Cherry 1.3 SGL, did over 200000 miles with no bother.

I had an 83 GL and loved it to bits. I wish I'd kept hold of it now. The little levers which remotely opened the rear windows always made me smile!
I'd forgotten about the window openers, great idea that.A424 ODV was mine. I wonder what became of it.
I passed my driving test in a 1.5 SGL Spirit or summat. I've had an active dislike for most Jap cars ever since.(Although the window openers were cool)

A Citroen Dyane called Mildred Mildew the Marshmallow.Purchased in 1997 for £375. It just scraped through an MoT, though not sure how as it was leaking almost as much oil as it burnt and on a trip up to Blackpool (on an evening, after work, from Birmingham - and then we went back home!) it seemed to use almost as much oil as petrol.However, I had the engine from my very first 2CV (scrapped due to rot) so the old engine was pulled out (it had done about 168,000 miles) and the other one dropped in. I then used the Dyane to drive all over the place. It did 14,000 miles in a year, once doing 1100 miles in a week. It was brilliant. It had a green/white stripey roof and metallic purple wheels. I took it off roading in Yorkshire and almost ripped the rear wing off - clearly it was quite rotten but gaffer tape made things 'sort of' secure.I also remember once racing across the flatlands five up. Came to a bend in the wet. Locked up on the way in so had to take it quite quickly - lift-off oversteer on the way out, a very scared looking Volvo 740 driver waiting at a junction but I somehow held it all together! Friends were rather subdued after that...It was clearly completely rotten but it had some fun for an extra year it didn't appear to have in it. The engine was fitted to yet another Citroen (an Ami this time) and Mildred went for scrap. I've still got the grille and number plate.I don't think she ever let me down in those 14,000 miles, despite only being serviced once! (rather than the recommended 3000 miles...)

The best car I've ever had I still own. It's my 1967 Triumph 1300. I bought it for £400 in 1994 when I was 18 and still hadn't passed my test. It was in fairly average condition but proved to be a fabulous daily driver and a very good example overall that was worth restoring so I gave it the works. That was over 10 years ago and it's still the one car I get out if I want to drive purely for enjoyment. The engine's getting a bit tired now so that's this winter's project but I would never part with it, it's such a good all rounder.

Best car ever?

Posted Image

This is quite an Autoshite story - I'd wanted a Charmant for yonks and one finally turned up on RR as a members car, I made some fuss and eventually it was offered to me and I took it on. Ran a bit lumpy and the rear arches were utterly shot, but a low mileage car and pretty tidy overall. Beggars can't be choosers. Serviced it myself, got some new rear arches fabricated and welded in, had the carb set up, lovely stuff. Still some remedial work to do - rear arches are bubbling up again a tad, never had the proper driver's side mirror, bonnet/front valance need sorting, wheels need a refurb, some other stuff to do. I don't mind chucking money at a fairly worthless car though.

I think part of the enjoyment is the fact that I can actually use it for dreary everyday life. If I couldn't break up work days with the fun of driving around in a strange car with Bill Withers blaring out of the MW radio, I'd have probably caused some kind of Robocop-style hostage situation by now.

Most reliable , most grin factor and most ratty paint is my Commer Imp Estate I got from a scrappy for £50 in 1991 , still got her , still going , great car :) Most fun ever , Stage rally prepaired 1986 Audi 80 Quattro running a tuned 2.2 5 pot , one man fuel crisis though and the insurance was wallet crunching , sold earlier this year , still crying :(

Best car............well to most deffinitions it has to be my legacy quad cam saloon.........very early model, never let me down, had her for 4 years then I was made bankrupt and hid her away for a few years, then I coulodn't afford to get her on the road again so I sold her on evenytually last year................ :cry: car I miss most ?............ too many to mention, but I'll plump for..................................................................................................................................................................................................................2 door mk4 Cortina 2.8, had to let it go last year as well :cry::cry:

Most fun ever , Stage rally prepaired 1986 Audi 80 Quattro running a tuned 2.2 5 pot , one man fuel crisis though and the insurance was wallet crunching , sold earlier this year , still crying :(

W00f! Actually, a 5-pot 80 quattro was my best car ever, too. A 51k, one-owner from new B-plater that set me back a paltry £300 thanks to a naff internet auction writeup.

Most fun ever , Stage rally prepaired 1986 Audi 80 Quattro running a tuned 2.2 5 pot , one man fuel crisis though and the insurance was wallet crunching , sold earlier this year , still crying :(

W00f! Actually, a 5-pot 80 quattro was my best car ever, too. A 51k, one-owner from new B-plater that set me back a paltry £300 thanks to a naff internet auction writeup.
Great car , FIA registered , rollcage , plumbed in fire extinguisher , no carpet etc , high lift cam made tickover a fumed filled disaster but over 4000 rpm WOW :D , AS SAID IM STILL CRYING :oops::cry::cry:

Been on here before, but a standout for me was a 71 morris 1800S. I don't really know why, but it was a great car and went very well. It MUST have been tweeked by the previous owner. It was also the first car I owned with power steering! I have owned hundreds of cars, big and small, fast and very slow, so this one had something :D

Posted Image