Last night's dinner warmed up

Mash

Looking at the Indian websites for dodgy saloons has thrown up a few designs given a new lease of life in developing countries. This is the Mitsubishi India website which is linked to Hindustan. Have a look at the Lancer and Cedia and see what you make of them. To me the Lancer is an old version with the current Lancer back end on it and the Cedia is the current Lancer with only one choice of engine:http://www.mitsubishi-motors.co.in/lanc ... erview.aspAnd this blurb for the facelifted Ambassador made me chuckle!http://www.hmambassador.com/avigo/index.asp

I loved that Hindustan website, very few photos of the cars on there, an excellent marketing decision!

In China the Geely King Kong looks like a squared off old shape Toyota Yaris and their Aoo (LC-1) looks just like an Aygo, apart from the obviously different frontal styling (see the link). I haven't found any links between these companies other than Toyota sued Geely for having a logo too similar to theirs. The Geely TX4 that is instantly recognisable in the below link will be imported next year. Chinese company Byd also sell a near identical Aygo look-a-alike with their F1 again without having any apparent direct links with Toyota.

http://www.chinacartimes.com/category/geely-automobile/

Posted ImagePosted Image

Volkswagen Apollo?

Posted Image

Yes, that's an 2 door Mk2 Orion (not a bodystyle available from Ford), with the 1.8 DX motor from a Scirocco. Round the back you'll find Sierra Sapphire back lights.

The Ford theme continues with oddball Fiestas, aside from the pickup pictured above also found this saloon.

Posted Image

Going back to 'things that should have never been resurrected' - I'm sure the Chinese can do better than a Montaestro

Posted Image

4k would have bought you a new one. Made in a city in ShanDong province called QingDao (you may have drunk the beer originating from this place). They are no longer in production but can still be found in the north-east. Yes, they did a van. I tried to buy one but the sales department (a mobile phone) didn't answer.Some of them found their way to UK.

I quite regularly contact Erik (mentionned on that A-R site) and hoped that he may join this forum. He is a fountain of knowledge of the Chinese car industry and I often send him pics of relics that I see on the mountain roads where I worked. That Maestro / Montego is now officially dead. FAW have so many projects on that this one didn't really figure in their progress. The fact is that for the same money you can buy something half decent and do not need to step back in time. The Chinese do not understand the term "retro" like the Japs do. Pity - there would be so much fun to have.I am back to China in a few days - and will soon be visiting QingDao. I will make every effort to get a pic of these Etsong Leopards or whatever they decided to call them.