Getting back to my Rootes...

mattblack

Cripes, that looks a total hunny!

If it's not a rude question, what kind of squilla is that costing you?

Won it on the 'bay at £756.

Had a chat with the owner, it sounds a decent motor... we shall see!

Hope it's as good as it looks. Always liked these. I presume they go quite well with the 1725 do they?

They go ok for an old car-manual has overdrive for better cruising.

Well, I had an 'eventful' day... :roll:

Got to the seller's place no probs, loaded up the O/H's Astra wagon with the three doors, bootlid and various other bits that came with the car and handed over the folding. Seller explained (as he had told me on the phone) that the car had the usual Rootes problem of the paint on the inside of the fuel tank flaking off, blocking the outlet pipe if the level was low... which it was. There was a petrol station not far from frome his house, so I pulled in while the O/H continued on the way home. Put in £25 worth... and realised that my wallet had fallen out of my pocket in the O/H's car. SHIT!... rang her after expaining the situation to the bloke behind the counter, and waited for her to return, feeling like a right twunt. carried on after that, got on the A50 around Stoke-on-Trent... cough, sputter... no power. Managed to pull into a slip lane and rev the engine to clear it. carried on for about a mile, same thing... this happened 3 times before I gave up...

Posted Image[/img]

...And when we got back to the lock-up, we had to wait 10 minutes for someone who couldn't grasp the concept of double yellow lines and 'KEEP CLEAR' in big letters to come back and move their car from in front of the garage... :x

Looks like I'll be pulling the tank out tomorrow...

My first post on here :lol: . Had one of these for a while , a later N reg jobby with a howling diff in a lovely shade of tahiti blue :oops: , Did the self same fueling problem over and over til I changed the tank and the fuel line , oh and the Twin Strommy carbs , great motor , but not in Tahiti blue :)

Seller explained (as he had told me on the phone) that the car had the usual Rootes problem of the paint on the inside of the fuel tank flaking off, blocking the outlet pipe if the level was low... which it was.

Is that a Rootes thing? My Avenger did that if you revved it too hard for too long (it was always nearly empty). I got quite adept at taking the bottom off the float chamber and taking the needle valve out.

90? A MoD Septic III must be able to hustle lots moar than that. My MkII would roll along happily at 85, and that was a total shitter coupled to a BW Auto. Though at that speed you could watch the fuel guage needle physically heading west.... :roll:

It was only firing on 3 cylinders at the time.