Timber and brown - crashed

dollywobbler

Posted Image

Another addition to the fleet. We're the guardian of this delightful Moggy Traveller while a friend spends a year working in New Zealand.

It's a 948cc model and the wood and body seem nicely solid. Poor thing has only done 400 miles in the past year, well, until the weekend. She's probably done 300 miles this week now...

Has LPG fitted, but it doesn't work. Need to get that sorted for extra thrifty points, though as it's so good, I'll be taking her off the road for the winter I think.

Rose Taupe actually Mr Christoph sir. LPG isn't a major worry as it doesn't exactly guzzle the juice anyway but thanks for the offer! I've no idea how they work at all. It has a three-stage switch and it says "switch to middle position (cuts both fuel systems) to clear fuel from the carburettor before switching to LPG." Problem is, with the switch in the middle position, the fuel appears to still come through and the engine does not start dying away...

Blimey, spares must be a nightmare to get for that..... :P

not at all, there are still loads of Moggies around and they have a huge following (not just in the UK) with parts still available off the shelf. While the metal bits are easy to get, the back half of the car body is made entirely of wood so MOT failure here means enlisting the help of a carpenter :shock: . This one is lovely though... 8)

^sarcasm (plural sarcasms)

1. (uncountable) A form of humor that is marked by mocking with irony, sometimes conveyed in speech with vocal over-emphasis. Saying something that is opposite of what is intended to be meant.

That looks great, brown is a really unusual colour for one of these, usually see them in more 'appealing' colours.

^sarcasm (plural sarcasms)

1. (uncountable) A form of humor that is marked by mocking with irony, sometimes conveyed in speech with vocal over-emphasis. Saying something that is opposite of what is intended to be meant.

That looks great, brown is a really unusual colour for one of these, usually see them in more 'appealing' colours.

Oh... :oops::oops: , I ain't with it today..... :lol:

Whats the appeal? I don't mean that in a derogatory way, just like to hear from an owners perspective.

I can see the appeal, bimbling about country lanes in not-too-much of a hurry, farty a-series exhaust and whiney gears, surely it's a statement of 'I couldn't give a toss for your modern world' kind of thing. Though I'd rather have a saloon, in white or grey with a nice tide-mark of clag repairs and a primer-coloured wing.

Yeah, that's pretty much it Pog. It's certainly not like the 2CV, which I can thrash mercilessly and hurl into corners with gay abandon - it's another world of motoring and once you settle into it, it really is quite pleasant.I'm still 'bimbling' at 50-55mph, so in real terms, it's not like I'm crawling along - though it's hard to tell as the speedometer has packed up now...

There's a core of owners to be avoided at all costs in the same vein as the MG Moaners who see them as the be all and end all of old cars (there are better cars out there - get over it) but having a Minor saloon in the fleet to pootle around in is something that appeals to me, they certainly do seem a fun and minimalist way to get about. I am of the opinion that values are a little over inflated though :?

This is the only one I've ever been in!

Posted Image

On the "cult" thing, I know a couple locally who have 4 Minors - a brace of 2-door saloons (one of which runs Marina innards now), a Traveller that's a rolling resto and a 4-door, I think. They've had "moderns" including a Sierra and a Rover 214, but have decided that they prefer Minors. Pretty rabid club members (do annual trips to France en masse, etc), but nice people nonetheless.I do like the tromboney-fart noise they make when you change up into 2nd, though!

I do like the tromboney-fart noise they make when you change up into 2nd, though!

I love that too, decribed it to my Niece and the next day she saw/heard one. She was nearly crying with laughter, and now wants one.. She said she doesn't care what they drive like, she just needs that noise in her life. What better to cheer yourself up on a grey morning, that flactulanty parping your way to work.

My brother had one about 20 years ago, a 1967 2 door with the 1100cc engine. I never really got one with it as it seemed to like going slow, you could change into top gear at 20mph with that trombone fart (© r.welfare) behind you. The indicator switch had a green light on the end that seemed to light up the whole inside of the car at night 8)

Oh dear. It's all gone a bit bad.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

My wife lost the back end on a sharp bend, slid sideways into a concrete barrier and ended up on the roof. It was one heck of an impact but the Moggy looked after her well, and my wife walked away with only a few bruises to show for it. Sadly, the car is pretty much destroyed though.

Bad times.

Thanks folks (lol@Pog even though I shouldn't!)Yes, we were 'looking after' the car but it is in my wife's name and it's on my insurance policy. I've just taken a new policy out with a new company. I fear I might get my money's worth as the premium (including Bond and 2CV) was £159...Time to test them!