Another Sunday Kolleckshun Tread - Monday Kolleckshun Interlude

Saabnut

Well, last Saturday I went on a little jaunt across the border and met a really nice shiter and returned with a really nice smoll car. The journey involved a Saab, a Merc and two trains, and I really enjoyed the day, a great hassle free return trip was the icing on the cake.

So, I thought, what better to do this weekend than to repeat* the experience. This one will be more local (I shall be remaining north of the border) and no trains will be involved. The actual method of transport depends on the MOT test tomorrow early hours.

This fleet reduction is going really well*.

Sorry to disappoint but todays kolleckshun has been postponed until tomorrow, basically because I am a wimp! Loaded up last night and got an early night coz knackered and paid the price by being up at 0600 this morning, to be met with pouring rain. It is still raining and a quick phone call revealed it is raining at the destination, so we decided to leave it to tomorrow as the forecast is mostly for sun. The kollechun will involve getting it running after approx 4 years and we fully expect to have to strip and clean the k-jet injection system as they have a habit of gumming up after standing and rain will not help that! A clue there!

Watch this space.....

Been to the bank to collect the tickets for tomorrows collection, and hitched up ready for the off tomorrow.

Whilst I was out, there may have been more purchasing meaning a Monday kolleckshun is now on the cards, as well! FFS.

The collection vehicle of choice, as I do not yet trust the Discovery and the Holden blotted its copybook so the L200 it is (remind me why I am selling this :-) )

post-5203-0-94482300-1554567226_thumb.jpg

post-5203-0-93441500-1554567309_thumb.jpg

Well, after a 120 mile round trip I managed to return with an empty trailer! I forgot to take my winch controls with me, something I realised about 30 miles from home. Decided I was confident I could get it going and drive it onto the trailer, so carried on. Oh well, we all make mistakes.

It started off badly when my SatNav decided to reboot half way round a diversion in Dundee, and when it restarted had lost the destination. Managed to pull into a bus stop and reset it, but it then got confused and sent me down the wrong road into a large housing estate. Managed to escape, reset it again and eventually found my destination.

On arrival, my friend was just finishing stripping and cleaning the K-Jet system and all looked fine so we were off to a flying start.

post-5203-0-64710200-1554656162_thumb.jpg

Yes, it is an Ovlov in true Scottish fasion. It needs some fettling, and some welding, but hey, why not! Might as well get the pictures out of the way:

post-5203-0-26277500-1554656371_thumb.jpg

post-5203-0-22634900-1554656455_thumb.jpg

Yes, it is a little* faded but it has full cow

post-5203-0-75162500-1554656584_thumb.jpg

and it is fully waftable being Badermatic

post-5203-0-11849000-1554656687_thumb.jpg

I am buying this from the relatives of the owner who is sadly not long for this world being in a care home and suffering from Alzheimers. It has been sat untouched since 2013 and it is believed he was fettling it when he was taken ill. Whilst my friend put the injection system back together, I made myself useful by blowing up the flat tyres (nothing like being an optimist) and then jump leads went on and we tried a start. It would fire enough to throw out the starter, but with an occasional back fire through the intake. After many tries, we took the plugs out which were not in the first flush of youth, so round to the local motor factors and a new set purchased.

Much messing ensued, making sure the leads did not get swapped and - no difference! I was not happy with the backfiring, and as it was suspected the owner had been fiddling, I decided to have a play with the timing, and sure enough found the distributor was loose. Much playing followed, and eventually we got it to run for a couple of seconds, but it sounded rough. Lots of head scratching followed until I decided in a moment of madness to swap the leads around, one space at a time. The second swap resulted in a quick start and a nice smooth running engine, but only for 3 or 4 seconds. Trying to restart it straight away had no affect, just turning over but dead. Leave it for 30-60 seconds and it would start and run briefly, and sounded healthy.

By now I was running out of ideas. We had put a gallon of fresh fuel in and the gauge was reading over a quarter. Fuel is getting through (checked supply hoses and the removed plugs were damp) and there is obviously a spark. We pulled a couple of injectors, and there is fuel there, but the sealing rings seem to be a slack fit, and this could cause an air leak or lack of pressure differential to fire the injectors, and as it was running fine when parked, albeit 6 years ago, we have decided that this could be the problem and as by now we were cold and frustrated decided to call it a day. I have ordered a new set of seals and plan on returning next weekend and to be on the safe side will make sure I take my winch controls.

One thing that does confuse me is when turning the engine over, the speedometer needle bounces (note not the tachometer needle) and by the time we finished, the odometer had gone up by 2 miles! Don't understand that at all.

One thing that does confuse me is when turning the engine over, the speedometer needle bounces (note not the tachometer needle) and by the time we finished, the odometer had gone up by 2 miles! Don't understand that at all.

Prop shaft disconnected letting the autobox turn with starter? The boxes I work on have a lot of through drag, especially when cold.

You should have used a ratchet strap to pull it on that way - save having to go all the way back

I used to do that up the steep incline of my recovery truck before I had a winch. I remember pulling a Porsche 968 on that way. Ratchet it up, handbrake on, open the ratchet up again to let off slack, pull tight, handbrake off and ratchet up again and repeat and repeat...

I did indeed do it once with an old 240 Glt I had identical to this one albeit with a flat tyre too....nice little work out!

After yesterdays failure to kolleckt, time to give it another go! Not the Ovlov (awaiting injector seals for that) but a sudden rash purchase made on Saturday. This one is far more shite than auto, but variety is the spice of life, and at least the sun is shining!

Same collection transport as yesterday, but far more local, just popping over the hill for this one.

No breakfast shot, that was hours ago and just the normal hateful weetabix.....

Well, I unloaded it, and took it for a run after taxing it (£11 a month) and the verdict is - not bad! Everything* works, well electric mirrors and windows, washers, wipers and most importantly the radio! I also found 12p in it so reduced the price a bit! For a 1.2 it seems to go well, and the ride is pretty good. Rear seats fold completely flat so will double up as a tip run van and camper! :-)

So pleased with it, I think I will give it a slightly* longer test run next week, about 940 miles to France should do the trick! WCPGW?

our Nick has first chance as would only be right and proper as he is a loyal hooverer of shite.  Should he foolishly decline the oppertuinity to add this to his portfolio i shall of course  advertise on the open market on a first come first serve basis. Please keep an eye out for the opportunity of a lifetime in the coming days.