Rover 420 has left Bedfordshire, enroute Nottingham

flat4alfa

I HAD three serious offers on.the table, from Cavcraft, the doctor and Clayton.

I offered said car to my brother in law who owns a mk1 focus, and his son who owns a mk1 focus, and my daughters boyfriend who has a broken 1.25 fiesta, and was turned down. You can't help some people.

I discussed them all the offers with my wife, and then made a sensible decision.

Probably.

Thanks to both POD and flat4 for making this collection a breeze.

No collection thread as it was all a bit back to front and didn't want to jinx it until cash money changed hands.

This was my pre collection lunch prior to journey from hell on a tram which caused me to miss train by 10 seconds. I ate it before I took a photo.

Am I doing it right ?

2374bdc5c07a860bed36541eb97b8813.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Soz for radio silence, at parents. Tis I whose derisory bid was accepted. Safe to say I absolutely love it. Done 225 miles so far, another 125 today to go. Parents approve19602a88af2e9a2154acd9de40acbad3.jpg

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Kinell that is one seriously clean car. You won't be letting history repeat itself will you........metallic red Rover with halft leather trim..........that didn't end too well..........runs for cover.

When the clutch release bearing lets go on the 420, not too bad a job, I had to do that on my MIL's car a few years ago, 420Sli in doom blue.

I think this may just have pipped the Streetwise to 'favourite car on my fleet'. I can see this getting some serious daily usage.

It's done 360 miles in my ownership already and hasn't missed a beat (apart from me stalling it at a set of traffic lights after the M1 because I forgot it was a manual - blame that too handy foot rest, which features in the 45 and the 620, both autos).

It likes a drink, but that's possibly down to my spirited driving, which it responds well to. It's a darned sight more responsive than the asthmatic 1.4 K series in the Streetwise (all 84 horses of it) and I find myself really having to rein it in on roads in built up areas.

Few issues to iron out, not least a couple of tyres so I can restore it back to full alloy glory on each corner (although it rather rocks the odd steel wheel look). There's also some odd little electrical gremlins, and the brakes feel like they may need a good bleeding. However, it rocks like a 25 yr old car should, thanks to the love given by the previous owner ;

And that engine note - so reminiscent of the old Marina (my 2nd car), down to the engine's ancestory (T->M->O->B ) 

Safe to say I'm in love...

I'll do a proper project thread in due course, but just gearing up for the 620's MoT this PM

The brakes have felt always felt a bit wooden on this one and didn't improve after the new rear callipers were put on. Saying that, the fluid must be donkey's old anyhow so a good flush will be a start

The improvements I INTENDED to do:
Bleed brakes, new pads
Fit struts and antiroll bars all round from MG ZS
Waxoyl the sills inside
Remove the towbar and vanity* plate to fund the above
Fit Triumph Acclaim III badging throughout, to play with the minds of gammonised clubber types