Can anyone help with ideas for freeing a back wheel?

carlo

Hi gang.

Am going to help my niece out tonight; she's come back from overseas and her Suzuki Alto appears to have decided to lock on one of the back wheels.  I've tried rocking the car, driving it a few yards in each direction but the wheel is locked on solid, attempting any more movement just elicits hot smells from the wheel.   I'm assuming the rear drum brake has rusted on?

Apart from attempting to get the wheel off and bang the drum with a mallet (don't know if that's a good idea or not), any other suggestions?  WD40?

We had an Astravan years ago that could literally do this overnight sometimes, fine others. As others have said, twat the drum, you may be able to get away with it without taking the wheel off if you can get to the back of it? The other thing that freed it off if it was pissing it down was reversing it up the road and driving it forward a few times and it used to free off but that was a bit aggressive.

Gently tap it with a small panel-pin hammer in the 12 positions of the numbers of a clock.

Then shout at the very top of your voice

- "BE OFF WITH YOU EVIL SPIRITS, RELEASE THIS WHEEL AT ONCE".

You have to really shout it out to get the message across.

And ring a little bell if you have one.

Repeat as many times necessary.

Worth a try. :-)

A while ago my 6 volt Traction wouldn’t start but I needed to move it. My driveway slopes down towards the garages. It was parked in front of one garage and I needed to put in the one next to it. I decided to tow it up and down the drive and shuffle it across. No one else was home so I had to point the Traction wheels where I wanted it to go and then hop in the tow car – and repeat. It turned out the Traction’s rear offside brake had also stuck but the drive surface was loose enough and the wheel skidded over the gravel. I got a couple of shuffles into this and the tow rope gave up – and hence the point of this rambling tale. The action of towing backwards and forwards and maybe the shock of the rope breaking freed off the brake and the car happily rolled down the hill into the door frame – as I watched from my Alfa’s driving seat. This was just a small part of what was a really crap day that Frank Spencer would be proud of. The Traction got some filler, a new bumper and 12 volts. But it did free the brake.

I don’t think this helps you one iota. Sorry.

Hi gang.

Am going to help my niece out tonight; she's come back from overseas and her Suzuki Alto appears to have decided to lock on one of the back wheels. I've tried rocking the car, driving it a few yards in each direction but the wheel is locked on solid, attempting any more movement just elicits hot smells from the wheel. I'm assuming the rear drum brake has rusted on?

Apart from attempting to get the wheel off and bang the drum with a mallet (don't know if that's a good idea or not), any other suggestions? WD40?

Is it fixed yet?

You say that if you move it it gets hot, so it isn't totally locked solid? Maybe the heat from moving it might actually free it off. I could be more heat than you think, for example it's designed to do a full on emergency stop from 80mph so that amount of heat shouldn't do it any harm.