Moving forward. Please read.

Autoshite Admin

Autoshite Changes  

202 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see the proposed changes with more sub-forums?

• Yes, I'd like to change to the proposed structure
    • No - remain with Main, Open, Modern and the existing rules of no politics/religion/potentially sensitive allowed anywhere

So because some people couldn't talk about a certain subject without behaving like particularly insecure and challenging children, we have a simple yes/no vote for something that will change things for all of us and could have far reaching implications for the future of our Na, erm , I mean Forum ?

You couldn't make it up.

Some people don't like change, some aren't that bothered, I think this is a positive move however non of the issues raised in the other thread have been addressed by the mods and it seems unlikely they ever will but these changes make sense, the forum needs splitting up a bit so the content is easier to find and categorise, as for far reaching implications? have a word with yourself.

I disagree, one of them has. This vote is to create a section where more difficult discussions, such as politics, can take place.

That's a fundamental change for the biggest objection I could see.

It doesn't address the pre-mod or banning of users who were making personal insults, but I think that's fair enough. Others may disagree.

Oddly I rarely ever went onto politics/ religion bits to view, and never to post. I Did feel it essential to embrace the eccentricity and diversity of the forum populus by allowing as free an expression of opinion as possible on such matters. Over the course of this debate I have seen an intolerance of the other sides opinion on both sides, such as is still being expressed on this thread, but I’m grateful to everyone for engaging in a dialogue about the direction of the forum.

What do all these threads and posts about the subject mean contained on the beige? To me they show people care about this site, And at the end of the day that is what I take from it and to my mind what matters most.

Thanks to all, member, mod or other. And here’s to the future!

I disagree, one of them has. This vote is to create a section where more difficult discussions, such as politics, can take place.

That's a fundamental change for the biggest objection I could see.

It doesn't address the pre-mod or banning of users who were making personal insults, but I think that's fair enough. Others may disagree.

Wait, it also doesn't get rid of Cavcraft.

But I don't actually think many people have a problem with him, just the process the mods have been following for dealing with stuff

Can't we have a separate Invacar section? Obviously, you'd need to ask to be allowed in there too.

A vehicle that was widely ridiculed at the time of use? Check.

A vehicle that was/is seen as uncool by many? Check.

A vehicle that is quite old now? Check.

A vehicle that is incredibly spartan and bare-bones? Check.

A vehicle that was once common place but now rare and obscure? Check.

A vehicle that is/was pretty effective at repelling the opposite sex? Check.

A vehicle that isn't particularly safe? Check.

A vehicle that your average motoring populace would run a mile from driving? Check.

A vehicle that has little knowledge about them apart from an obscure internet forum? Check.

You may not like them (I don't massively care about them either tbh), but it fits most criteria of the stereotype Autoshite vehicle - more than many other vehicles common on here.

Plus this forum always has had vehicles of particular interest that grow and wane over time in phases. Like this graph Dave_Q nicely shows:

post-17573-0-98481100-1489056068.jpg

(Numbers and scale may not match reality)

Yep! We were tripping over laguna 2's a few years ago, now we just don't hear about them!

A vehicle that was widely ridiculed at the time of use? Check.A vehicle that was/is seen as uncool by many? Check.A vehicle that is quite old now? Check.A vehicle that is incredibly spartan and bare-bones? Check.A vehicle that was once common place but now rare and obscure? Check.A vehicle that is/was pretty effective at repelling the opposite sex? Check.A vehicle that isn't particularly safe? Check.A vehicle that your average motoring populace would run a mile from driving? Check.A vehicle that has little knowledge about them apart from an obscure internet forum? Check.You may not like them (I don't massively care about them either tbh), but it fits most criteria of the stereotype Autoshite vehicle - more than many other vehicles common on here.

Most shite makes me happy when I see pictures of someone enthused about it or even better seeing it on the road being used. The Invacar has the opposite effect on me tbh. It evokes no feelings of affection or nostalgia and only conjures memories of the poor souls I used to see struggling in and out of them when I was a kid.

Perhaps those who used them in their day might have fond memories of the independence afforded them by its production, who knows?

I don’t find it offensive that there seems to be some love for them now as a ‘classic’ of sorts but I lean towards finding it in marginally bad taste that the able bodied treat it as a toy.

I know that’s not anyone’s intention though and I’m not suggesting it is.

Each to their own but it’s certainly not for me.

I don’t find it offensive that there seems to be some love for them now as a ‘classic’ of sorts but I lean towards finding it in marginally bad taste that the able bodied treat it as a toy.

Interesting point and I can see where you're coming from.

How do you feel about, say, people restoring and playing around with classic emergency vehicles? I'm sure many ex-service ambulance or fire engine has seen and been involved in a horrific incidents. Now of course being a classic they are very much toys.

The way I see it is that if people don't restore and use these vehicles they are more likely to disappear. As they are part of the history of this country, I rather that not happen.

Interesting point and I can see where you're coming from.How do you feel about, say, people restoring and playing around with classic emergency vehicles? I'm sure many ex-service ambulance or fire engine has seen and been involved in a horrific incidents. Now of course being a classic they are very much toys.The way I see it is that if people don't restore and use these vehicles they are more likely to disappear. As they are part of the history of this country, I rather that not happen.

A good point but I don’t associate any of these vehicles with an individual but ofc you’re right about preservation.

Classic hearses too. I mean, almost no-one apart from car freaks enjoyed seeing those vehicles when in service.

I don't feel I have to justify my interest really, but I suppose I am by posting

- There are 37 of my type of Invacar left - actually running and driving - maybe less than 5.

- I'm doing it for the challenge of restoring something unloved and unwanted by almost everyone - but, everyone I have spoken to so far about this project - is interested and engaged, including the invalid carriage register which has disabled people involved.

- My long term goal, if I can surmount the obstacles of restoring this would be to (a) take it to shows including some information about its role in social history (b ) see it displayed somewhere more regularly.

Personally, I feel this is a more worthy project than my 90s hatchbacks, but I recognise we all have different opinions.

Classic hearses too. I mean, almost no-one apart from car freaks enjoyed seeing those vehicles when in service.

I don't feel I have to justify my interest really, but I suppose I am by posting

- There are 37 of my type of Invacar left - actually running and driving - maybe less than 5.

- I'm doing it for the challenge of restoring something unloved and unwanted by almost everyone - but, everyone I have spoken to so far about this project - is interested and engaged, including the invalid carriage register which has disabled people involved.

- My long term goal, if I can surmount the obstacles of restoring this would be to (a) take it so shows including some information about its role in social history (b )see it displayed somewhere more regularly.

Personally, I feel this is a more worthy project than my 90s hatchbacks, but I recognise we all have different opinions.

That’s fair enough and your interest in raising awareness of its place in society certainly gives me another perspective on the subject.

The politics subforum was an idea so people can chat (sensibly) about the subject, whereas before it was taboo which caused a fair bit of upset I think it's fair to say.

To start by taking a subject that instigated immediate post hiding etc and enabling freedom to talk sensibly about it is surely a good thing.

Ooooh shit hot invacar talk time to jump in weeeee *splash*  :mrgreen:

its always interesting just how much specific dislike invacars generate, many ex invacar users do actually have fond memories of their machines, and where pretty happy with them (by 2003, there where about 200 people still running around in invacars, those people could of jumped ship to motability long ago, keep in mind the Invacar scheme ended to new applicants in 1978 or thereabouts, although we are still trying to figure out what happened in Northern Ireland)

while im sure there where plenty of people/users who did not like them, I do feel like a lot of hate was generated by the media so to speak (much like how when top gear shits on a old British car)

espically as if you listen to peoples complaints about them, Most of the time they are usually complaining about an earlier type of invacar, but everyone just sees the Model 70, no one ever realises, there where Many different types of invalid carriages/invalid tricycles

and that the Model 70 was a massive step up from earlier types, much more car like in many aspects

id also like to note, that I do actually plan to use my future invacar, much like DW uses TWC, and Zel plans to use TPA

I pretty much plan to use it for what it was built for, as someone who is disabled, using/wanting an invacar to help themselves get out the house and get around, is pretty much what they where built for no? :)

and I do find it a bit sad how many Model 70s where/are bought just to sit around, get dragged to shows so the owners can go "look what I have!" and then dragged home to sit once more

especially as most dont Appreciate what they have, and the social/history behind it all,

(edit: I do realise this is pretty much what i imagine egg will be doing with his Mk12 a lot of the time, but im pretty sure egg knows what he has so to speak, and it sounds like he would be doing it to raise awareness etc as he mentioned in his post above)

(and I also realise it would be much harder to daily a Mk12 then it would be to daily a Model 70 LOL)

ah well, im guess im an old grumpy flat capper on the whole subject on of invacars now  :mrgreen: (but hey at least when I go round shows tapping on invacars, ill be pleased to hear its fibre glass LOL)

I kind of like someone's idea on this thread of a pre-1990 (pre 1986 surely!!) project section, although I expect that wouldn't have popular support and could be argued just adds to the complexity.

But a sub-section that was just projects on Humber Snipes, ADO16s, Renault 16s, Reliant Foxes, Pontiac Chieftains, and yes Invacars etc would be my idea of brilliant. But I appreciate that people with fleet threads that cover all age groups would be much frustrate (e.g. Zel who does great work on all his vehicles).

I can see that having four Invacar threads that are all (currently) regularly updated might be frustrating to some. However it's the old mantra, if there is better content - just post it and it will rise!

The politics subforum was an idea so people can chat (sensibly) about the subject, whereas before it was taboo which caused a fair bit of upset I think it's fair to say.

To start by taking a subject that instigated immediate post hiding etc and enabling freedom to talk sensibly about it is surely a good thing.

I was one of the critics of moderating the open forum. I'm prepared to give it a go. Hopefully most of the other dark wobbers will be content with a foot in both camps too. A split diminishes both.

Past shite - up to 1986.

Present shite - catering for the bangernomics crowd and mingebag motoring.

Future shite - modern stuff.

Selling shite (motoring and other stuff)

Other shite (incorporating the murky depths of conversation staße)

Job jobbed.

(P.s i wasn't here.)

Just to add to the debate I think '86 cut off is too early. Sometime in the 90's is better for me as a modern European car is anything with an airbag ? There was also a real watershed moment when Rover went bust so maybe DR (During Rover) and AR (After Rover)?

Im pretty happy with the current preposed changes and have voted accordingly, (but i dont feel like we should split things up into anything more then a Modernshite and autoshite section when it comes to cars, ie i dont feel like we need a past present and current shite thing, especially as people are doing baganomics with a large range of cars from 1970s Triumphs to 1990s Micras)

but at the same time im not going to be bothered in the slightest if things end up staying the way they are currently :)