Right up their own arses

bigstraight6

The Fiat 500 always gets attention, presumably because it's so little and so loud (sport exhaust for that extra 1 bhp). But "serious" classic car types look down their pimply noses at it. It's great at Italian car events parking up near the Ferraris, as it's "cute and cheeky" as opposed to brash and vulgar, and the Ferrari people hate that.

Shall we start posting photos of the tossers we are talking about? Sort of like naming and shaming? I have just found a website with a picture of the bloke I was talking about and his fat wife sitting in his stupid car...Probably better not on second thoughts!

Give me a Fiat 500 any day over a Ferrari, They don't appeal to me in the slightest.I went to a show the other week were there was a Lamborghini Murcielago next to a Ford Capri RS2600, Everyone was around the Ford, Not one person seem bothered by the Lambo :lol:

I think that will be because so few people have a personal memory of a Lambo, yet everybody knows somebody who has/had/was related to somebody who had some kind of Ford. In fact, I defy anybody to say they have had nothing to do with a Ford of some kind whatsoever!

It's not just MG's though. There was a small car show in Yorkshire (IIRC) a few years ago which was full of Jensens, Astons and some more mainstream Ford, MG, GMC stuff, but they would not allow any Austin/Rover/BMC stuff in for fear of bringing down the show's standards and anyone turning up to show their British Leyland stuff, however nice it was, was turned away in no uncertain terms.... :roll: In my mind, the classic car movement should be as one, but there seems to be a growing air of elitism between rich man/poor man classic cars owners which is a shame because someone like myself likes to see a variety like this when I go to a car show.

Last show I did I parked next to a twat with one of the last original minis (1999?). As soon as I opened the door he ran over and told me to be careful not to dent his mini as 'you can't get the panels for them any more'

What a wanker, anyone who is remotely interested in Minis knows you can still buy every genuine panel still not to mention a new shell like with MGs etc.I've been asked to show my Mini as some local show is trying to get fifty minis together, to be totally honest I'm dreading it, I like a brisk walk round a car show and maybe take some snaps of the cars that appeal to me then I'm done and the thought of having to be there for hours on end does not appeal to me GET YOUR FUCKING GRUBBY LITTLE HANDS OFF MY FUCKING CAR KID.

The MG crowd are one thing, the Rolls Royce scene is something very, very special.I was at a classic show at Duxford a few months back and the RR club were there. No Silver Ghosts, original Phantoms or Camargues, just the usual array of tonced up old Shads and Spirits. You've never seen so many "£149 plus transfer fee" number plates in one location.Anyway, sat around the back of one of these Gems was an elerly couple - him in a cravat and her with big floppy hat, a bit of floral print, pearls....the whole fucking Queen Mother nine yards. Picnic hamper on the go, spot of smoked Salmon and gold rimmed glasses for a bottle of Chateau De L'Idl.They looked at us as though we were scum. We are, but that's not the point.I so badly wanted to let rip about their £6000 Crewe shitter. I've had more expensive Fords Love.

Just get a proper old car and join the Vintage Sports Car Club. Whether it's a toff with an ERA or an eccentric with a beard and an Austin 7 they are all refreshingly down to earth and really know how to enjoy themselves:

http://www.vscc.co.uk/vsccweb/gallery/default.jsp

Or you can have an MGB and polish the inside of the exhaust pipe :(

There was a car show local to me yesterday. Didn't go as I was at work although I did see quite a lot of them leaving as I was going home. Looked like an awful lot of MG's, Stags and the usual suspects. I really do dislike the snobbery you get at an awful lot of shows. I used to do the whole displaying thing at quite a few shows but now I very rarely go to any even for a wander around. I just can't be arsed with endless MGs, Triumphs and the pillocks with the whole 'thats not a real classic HA HA HA' condescending twat attitude.Most clubs seem to be the same with a small handfull of cars considered to be the real classics and anything else just an outsider.However, I own old cars because I enjoy them, not for anyone elses benefit. If someone else appreciates it then thats nice - The other week I got a beep and thumbs up from a French guy as he overtook my R4 and it really made me feel good about the world!

I'm lucky. 2CVers are used to snooty attitudes and our meetings are as far away from the 'shiny, shiny sit down DON'T TOUCH' as you could get, often being little more than a group of drunkards in a field who just happen to drive the same cars. Engine polishing just isn't how we do things. Thank goodness! Give me a shabby, used-looking engine bay any day of the week.

There are so many snobbish bastards in the classic car movement I find it really depressing at times. I always wave at other classic car owners, and find it is almost always the Triumph TR/MGB owners that ignore you, the twats :roll:

This is true, with the exception of TR7/8s for which the snobs have a special level of hatred as they see them as 'not proper Triumphs'. Same with the MG Metro as it's 'not a proper MG'. So pretentious.

I'm lucky. 2CVers are used to snooty attitudes and our meetings are as far away from the 'shiny, shiny sit down DON'T TOUCH' as you could get, often being little more than a group of drunkards in a field who just happen to drive the same cars. Engine polishing just isn't how we do things. Thank goodness! Give me a shabby, used-looking engine bay any day of the week.

I must be unlucky with 2CVers. Almost every time I've flashed and/or waved while passing in the GSA, I haven't got any reaction. Even without trying to attract their attention, the drivers' eyes seem to be glued looking straight ahead. Nothing beats the time I got a honk and a big thumbs up from a gorgeous white CX coming the other way... or when I saw a gold CX flashing yellow headlights in my rear view mirror one time on the motorway 8) Most of the time my GSA seems to be anonymous. I got more attention when I was driving my friend's cornflower blue GS (with oodles of chrome rather than plastic).Mark.

There are so many snobbish bastards in the classic car movement I find it really depressing at times. I always wave at other classic car owners, and find it is almost always the Triumph TR/MGB owners that ignore you, the twats :roll:

This is true, with the exception of TR7/8s for which the snobs have a special level of hatred as they see them as 'not proper Triumphs'. Same with the MG Metro as it's 'not a proper MG'. So pretentious.
Sorry, I meant TR4's, 5's and 6's not TR7/8's, which are proper shite. The same goes for Triumph Acclaims. It's worth owning one just to piss off your average snobbish Triumph owner! :twisted:

If I may repost the pic I took at a show earlier this year...

Posted Image

Sums up the level of interest taken by MG owners when they attend a show.

While I’m a bit reticent about waving, or engaging other classic car owners in conversation (just through natural wariness/shyness/apathy), if someone seems open and friendly I’ll have a chat. Haven’t had many waves or anything in the Laurel – young lad in a Mk1 Fiesta flashed his lights recently. These days, there aren’t many Datsun owners on the road to give a special greeting to.

i just tell em there only a cambridge convertable anyway... pisses em orf rapid :lol: if you put em in the corners of fields you wont get any flies by you all day, cos flies only go to SHITE :roll:

I quite like the Macdroitwich description: the drop-head Sherpa, but is actually a slur on the Sherpa.

I had a Hungarian guy come up to me at the Croxley meeting the other day-he stared at the Wartburg & asked if I'd start it up, which I was happy to do. His eyes misted over and he explained that his parents had owned one back in the days before the Iron Curtain came down & the engine noise took him back 30 years! He was quite emotional and even sniffed at the exhaust before shaking my hand and thanking me for making his dayTHAT'S what owning a classic car is all about; no MG owner gets that response!Andrew353w

couldn't agree more. most amusing wave I had was when I was belting round the M25 in my old Daf55 - a bus full of dutch overtook me and the passengers were all going mental and banging on the windows and waving - take their Daf's seriously those cloggy types you know.The snobbery of some of classic owners is astounding - I spoke to pne the other day who had a very nice MG roadster he was telling me he bought it restored and towed it everywhere - I pointed out (I had had a few) that what was the point in having a fugging car if you weren't going to fuggin drive it ever? Another chap pulled up in a magnificent Morgan, he was posh as you like (missus had a hermes headscarf on and a tartan thermos (class) but used the car every day for the last 20 years sun and snow - the MG chap was desperately trying to impress him but he was more interested in my rusty old XJ40. takes all sorts - snobber doesn't seem to have a lot to do with so called class where cars are concerned

Daf 55 and the M25... I'll keep an eye out for you-I seem to live on that bloody motorway! I owned a Daf 33 a few years ago, as well as a 55 and a 66 over the years. Great cars and a great club. I'd love a 33 or a Daffodil again-air cooled, simple and HUGE boot; great for the shopping!Andrew353w

Ginettas are a different kettle of fish altogether, for which I am thankful. They are seen as hardcore racing machines so don't attract ther preening, polishing types. Instead owners tend to modify, thrash and crash them as much as any boy racer. In terms of waving most people do, including those in trackday specials and once a pre-war Packard. I have found American car owners as a rule to be a sound and friendly bunch. I suppose it's because they already have a better v8 than the one the MG bods lust after.The Volvo once garnered waves and thumbs up from a group of lads in a Mk1 Fiesta. I suppose this is where the future of classic cars lie - cheap eighties tin being preserved by those who remember it. People will pop over for a chat, on occasion; which makes owning the thing a worthwhile experience.

Yea, very similar stories here. But sometimes you get the opposite: you get a hyper enthusiast nutter that just won't go away. They rabbit on and on - talk over you, state facts about your car that are just wrong, say things like "O, I can chat anyway - I'm off today" withou asking if you are...Or nutters who race up behind you or over/undertake hen slow down beside rubbernecking and taking both their hands off the 'wheel to give you TWO thumbs up... :x thanks! but ffs..I overtook a Bristol on the A1 north of Peterborough last month coming home and the driver just had a general look of derision - I overtake - he overtakes repeat. The exact same thing happened a week prior on the M3 to Southhampton this time with a red Jensen Interceptor. On both occasions I was merely going to give a subtle gesture of admiration but got nothing but a stony face from the Jensen mamma's boy. I reckon they are of the fairly sad old species that just can't get over their hatred of french cars (and their superior design) This though delights me though.

Turning up to classic car shows in a hot rod or some festering old Yank barge is a sure fire way to hack off the cravate brigade. I got banned from out local Boxing day classic car run some years ago for turning up in a severely rodded Model A Ford, the great unwashed public loved it, the Bentley boys regarded me as some sort of pond life. Uncorking the headers and starting it up was probably not the best way to ingratiate myself............................................................

Turning up to classic car shows in a hot rod or some festering old Yank barge is a sure fire way to hack off the cravate brigade. I got banned from out local Boxing day classic car run some years ago for turning up in a severely rodded Model A Ford, the great unwashed public loved it, the Bentley boys regarded me as some sort of pond life. Uncorking the headers and starting it up was probably not the best way to ingratiate myself............................................................

I can see there being loads of Bentley Boys here in Jersey on that Boxing Day Run, it seems to be just an outing for stuck-up toffs. I do remember your Model A Ford-was just awesome! :lol: