Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
Project

2007 Volvo V70 D5 2.4 automatic - SOLD - New Owner Updates

Project

• Please log in to reply
105 replies to this topic

#91 OFFLINE   Tepper

Tepper

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 41 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 25 March 2019 - 02:29 PM

Haven't had any time to look at it this weekend, it's penciled in for next weekend. The issue of bad fuel still needs to be checked, I'm going to try running it on neat diesel purge to see if that makes any difference. Opinions differ as to whether it'll run with a gravity feed straight into the HP pump or not.

I think the plan is to try the diesel purge then get the car up on the lift to check for boost leaks and also to loosen the downpipe from the turbo to rule out an exhaust restriction. Timing was also suggested, so I might try seeing if I can get locking pins in.

#92 OFFLINE   Tepper

Tepper

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 41 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 31 March 2019 - 10:46 AM

Not much of an update on this sadly, I didn't have as much time as I wanted on this due to the workshop being full of assorted other chod:

IMG-20190330-WA0000.jpeg

All I really managed to do on the Volvo was attempt a diesel purge, only to find that it wouldn't run without pressure from the lift pump. I ran a load of diesel purge through the HP pump and filled the fuel filter housing with the stuff, then started it - no difference. I think this can probably rule out bad fuel, as it would've been running on neat diesel purge straight after start up. I had it up on the ramp to check for any sign of boost leaks and couldn't see anything wrong. I also took the timing belt cover off and couldn't see anything obviously amiss there. Finally, I was going to take the downpipe off the turbo but the small bolts holding it were not keen on shifting and also fairly inaccessible, so I soaked the one that I could get to, binned it off because I didn't want to snap the bolts and went to the pub.

In other news, my pisshat ticked over 100,000 miles today - only needed an engine, turbo and DMF to get there.

IMG_20190330_192543.jpg

• Lacquer Peel likes this

#93 OFFLINE   Tepper

Tepper

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 41 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 06 April 2019 - 05:23 PM

Some tinkering took place today - no results just yet annoyingly. I tested the fuel pressure to the HP pump from the in-tank pump which was fine (4 - 4.5 bar) and didn't drop off as the engine speed increased. I also rigged up an injector leak-off test which didn't show any problems - all injectors around 10ml after 1 minute:

IMG_20190406_134749.jpg

IMG_20190406_144203.jpg

Fault codes are still MAF high and boost pressure low. At the moment I'm wondering if there might be some kind of fault with the valvetrain - there's a ticking noise coming from the top end somewhere, I don't think it's an injector because all of the tests I've done on them so far have been OK. The next step is going to be a compression test, I picked up a socket on the way back from the unit that should hopefully work for the glow plugs.

Am I barking for thinking that if there was a sticky lifter/valve/damaged rocker, that could be causing these issues? I feel like the engine would still rev, but be very noisy. I would've whipped the rocker cover off for a look but the injectors have to come out first, so I'll wait and see if the compression test reveals anything.

#94 OFFLINE   Isaac Hunt

Isaac Hunt

• Full Members
  • 828 posts
  • 8 thanks

Posted 06 April 2019 - 07:49 PM

I can see you have changed the fuel filter.

I assume the filter was the correct unit. https://www.volvofor...p/t-115368.html

#95 OFFLINE   solid61

solid61

• Full Members
  • 234 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 06 April 2019 - 10:56 PM

This will not be a valve/rocker issue,nor will it be low compression and removing the rocker cover is quite involved and needs £££ of gaskets to replace,i would be looking at air flow restrictions on the inlet and exhaust sides of the engine before spending money on it,egr valve can stick open,dpf/ cat could be in trouble,inlet pipework can block up and the inter cooler is prone to splitting causing running problems,I really hope you can fix this car without too much aggro,I take an interest cos I am a v70 owner scince last year and it has been the most troublesome car I've ever owned by a mile.
  • SiC likes this
1988 Honda cb1000 f 2005 v70 d5.
2005 STILO JTD 1979 YAM TY 250.

#96 OFFLINE   JoeyEunos

JoeyEunos

• Full Members
  • 736 posts
  • 20 thanks
  • LocationDurham

Posted 07 April 2019 - 07:37 AM

I too wish you the best of luck in resolving this.

I can't offer any useful advice, but I can sympathize with the woes of broken Volvo life (My 940 is currently sat outside with it's carpets soaked in antifreeze)

I'm sure it'll all be worth it in the end!

#97 OFFLINE   SiC

SiC

• Full Members
  • 10,912 posts
  • 126 thanks
  • LocationBristol

Posted 07 April 2019 - 08:00 AM

Does the turbo spin if moved by hand?

Is the MAF code still immediately there after clearing? If not, does it reappear quickly once the engine is started?

If turbo spins by hand and does does freely, I reckon as solid61 said it's likely an airflow issue on either intake or exhaust side.
Oldies: 1972 Austin 1100 2dr - Project Rust bucket, 1974 MGB GT - A stereotypical classic car.
Moderns: 2000 Boxster - New enough to drive sublimely but old enough to nearly feel like a classic, 2010 Aldi A4 - Owned to placate the wife on my crap buying.

#98 OFFLINE   Isaac Hunt

Isaac Hunt

• Full Members
  • 828 posts
  • 8 thanks

Posted 07 April 2019 - 08:05 AM

I assume the filter was the correct unit. https://www.volvofor...p/t-115368.html

I read the original poster said the problem happened shortly after refilling with fuel. I think misfuel has been rules out, although I've known as instance where the wrong fuel was put in the underground tank, that is rare, but it has happened. So just cos it said DERV on the receipt is irrelevant in such an instance.

The next possible problem is that there was a lot of shite in the fuel that clogged the filter within a few miles, and has then clogged the new filter very quickly.

Although you've been getting fuel samples from your leak off test, one assumes these look OK. Having said that, if the fuel filter is taking out the crud, the fuel sample with be clean and the filter becoming more clogged by minute.

It could be a coincidence that the problem occurred soon after fuelling, but effect also follows cause

#99 OFFLINE   Tepper

Tepper

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 41 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 07 April 2019 - 10:06 AM

Yes - Bosch filter installed which went on fine.

This will not be a valve/rocker issue,nor will it be low compression and removing the rocker cover is quite involved and needs £££ of gaskets to replace,i would be looking at air flow restrictions on the inlet and exhaust sides of the engine before spending money on it,egr valve can stick open,dpf/ cat could be in trouble,inlet pipework can block up and the inter cooler is prone to splitting causing running problems,I really hope you can fix this car without too much aggro,I take an interest cos I am a v70 owner scince last year and it has been the most troublesome car I've ever owned by a mile.

I think you could be right, but so far I've ruled out pretty much everything on the inlet side apart from the manifold itself by disconnecting the pipework and letting the engine breathe atmospheric air straight into the manifold, if that makes sense? Intercooler looks fine, I took the panel off underneath it and couldn't see any splits/bulges/oil. It's probably worth making more of an effort to get the downpipe off the turbo before taking the rocker cover off, that and taking the air pipework off the turbo to rule out a restriction there. Sorry to hear that about your V70, it's annoying because I reckon it'd be quite nice if it worked!

Does the turbo spin if moved by hand?

Is the MAF code still immediately there after clearing? If not, does it reappear quickly once the engine is started?

If turbo spins by hand and does does freely, I reckon as solid61 said it's likely an airflow issue on either intake or exhaust side.

Haven't checked the turbo yet, I'll have a look next time I'm up there.

The MAF code doesn't come back until the engine has been running for a while, can't remember exactly how long but certainly not straight away. Would I be right in thinking that the reading from the MAF is likely correct but the ECU doesn't like what it's seeing?

I think you and solid61 are on the money, will have to do more checks on airflow next time I'm at the unit.

#100 OFFLINE   jonathan_dyane

jonathan_dyane

• Full Members
  • 1,383 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • LocationLiverpool

Posted 07 April 2019 - 10:12 AM

Even in the unlikely event the turbot is seized I would expect it to rev and be drivable simply to be dog slow.
  • solid61 likes this

2004 Saab 9-5 Aero Estate

1979 Citroen GS Club Estate (rusty)
1951 David Brown 30D (derelict)

1991 Kawasaki GT-550
1986 MZ ETZ 250

2004 Tomos Noped

#101 OFFLINE   cort16

cort16

3.5 tonnes maximum

• Full Members
  • 23,529 posts
  • 37 thanks
  • LocationScotland

Posted 07 April 2019 - 11:35 AM

Have you tried cleaning the maf? Or just replace it they’re sub 20 quid by the looks of it.

The diagnostics is useful but if you’re getting a maf code , it looks like it’s air flow related and the part is jus 20 quid it’s worth just changing it. If it doesn’t work it’s one more thing ruled out.
  • Stevebrookman likes this
Say aye to a 320si

#102 OFFLINE   Tepper

Tepper

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 41 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted 07 April 2019 - 01:51 PM

Where are you? Try my MAF if you want as long as it isn’t killed....my xc90 is running well!

Would this still be a possibility maybe next weekend? Could save me picking up a MAF. The part number on my MAF is 0281002730, which I think is different to Euro 3 (up to 05-ish) D5 engines - if this matches your XC90 I'd be very grateful for a loan!

#103 OFFLINE   njgleeds

njgleeds

• Full Members
  • 1,083 posts
  • 15 thanks
  • LocationPendle hill, witch country

Posted 07 April 2019 - 03:01 PM

I’ve come across a couple of euro4s that have had valve train issues...the head castings crack around the hydraulic lifters.
If there’s any rattling from the top end, it’s well worth investigating as it can result in a severe lack of power due to some of the valves failing to open.
  • Tamworthbay likes this
1993 T4 2.4D
1990 C124 300E
1994 C140 500 SEC
2005 XC90 D5 Dog cart
How many P38s??
1990 Eunos Roadster
2004 9-5 Aero HOT estate

#104 OFFLINE   Wingz123

Wingz123

• Full Members
  • 1,562 posts
  • 43 thanks
  • LocationLondon

Posted 09 April 2019 - 09:12 AM

Would this still be a possibility maybe next weekend? Could save me picking up a MAF. The part number on my MAF is 0281002730, which I think is different to Euro 3 (up to 05-ish) D5 engines - if this matches your XC90 I'd be very grateful for a loan!

Missed this can you pm me maybe you could do me a favour and turn my airbag light off that randomly came on the other day in it...

Thanks,

James
URGENT! PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE Read my thread.....

http://autoshite.com...ease-read-this/

#105 OFFLINE   Isaac Hunt

Isaac Hunt

• Full Members
  • 828 posts
  • 8 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 08:41 AM

Any progress, proving a tough one to crack or has time been spent on getting the BBQ running ?

#106 OFFLINE   Tepper

Tepper

Rank Morris Ital

• Full Members
  • 41 posts
  • 0 thanks

Posted Yesterday, 09:31 PM

Any progress, proving a tough one to crack or has time been spent on getting the BBQ running ?

Sadly no progress to report since the last update, the temptation of beer in the sun has been too strong to resist so the moody Swede will have to wait. Hoping to have some time on it this week, have also got top mounts to do on another V70 - broken Volvos for everyone!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Project

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users