Help with New-ish Shite

Minimad5

Well i posted this on the VW Audi Forum with no replies at all so im wondering if anyone can help me before i strip out the fuel pump again (Which i honestly cant be bothered with ... but if it has to be done then nothin else i can do)The Car in question is my dads Audi A4 its the 1.8 20valve job on an "R" reg (97)After recently breaking down in birmingham and taking over 8 hours to be rescuedWe traced the fault to be the fuel pumpI recently replaced the fault original with an aftermarket BOSH fuel pumpThe car now starts and runs but is sometimes hesitant and lacks abit of power (same symptoms as we had when the fuel pump was on its way out)And sometimes the car wont start unless you turn the ignition on twice (Allowing the fuel pump to come on twice too)I suspect because the fuel pump is a cheaper aftermarket replacement that it might not be displacing the right amount of fuelI will be removing the pump (yet again) to change over the plastic mounting brackets as the original one is a little differentBut as a quick question just wanted to ask could there be anything else affecting the performance or slight start-up issue ?

have you changed the filter? I'm sure the 20v engine has a valve on the fuel rail to check fuel pressure, may be worth hooking this up to check if this is actually the fault? Pumps usually get noisy before they die, and its a fairly rare faultMy first guess would be the MAF - unplug it and go for a run,see if it improves

have you changed the filter? I'm sure the 20v engine has a valve on the fuel rail to check fuel pressure, may be worth hooking this up to check if this is actually the fault?

Yeah mate i changed that along with the pumpat the same time did an oil change and air filter change i might check the air filter box again incase of any clips that sprung looseBut as for now the only option im thinking of doing is removing the fuel filter and checking everythin over againDo these engines also have chains ?Because upon start-up it make a rattling noise that clears after a minute or two which sounds like a chain So could this be a chain tensioner on its way out or faulty ?Sorry for all the questions and thanks for the speedy reply

No, thay are belt, but do suffer from rattly tappets,and I've seen a few with oil pump problems...

Okays mate thanks for your fast reply ill be stripping the fuel pump out again tomorrow and replacing its plastic bracket over with the original part so i know it atleast sits right(Why cant they just bolt in, instead of crappy plastic)[/minature rant over]As with the rattly noise on start-up ill check the oil level again and may change to thicker oil(The old man/ Dad did spend £40 on the oil so it seems like decent stuff)Thanks Again !

Nooooo, not thicker oil, 5W30 is recommended for these engines, thicker oil may make the rattle worse!

P.S- its the turboed engines that seem to suffer oil pump problems, is it an A4t?

No mate its naturally aspirated (non turbo)

First oil change i put castrol Edge 5W30 Posted Image

But this time when i did the oil change for my dad (as hes gettin too old to work on cars lol) i put in Mobil Super FE 5W-30 "special" http://washford.scene7.com/is/image/Washford/153067?$prod$

The castrol did cost alot more but i found the start-up rattle lasted for afew seconds like 2 or 3 seconds

But now lasts a good 2 to 5 minutes

Firmly read :lol: i dont see no mention of the non turbo But would the Turbo Oil filter fit the non-turbo ?Im guessing it will, but surely there would be mild differences as the more high performance Turbo engine would need a better oil feed etc etc i could be wrong !!Thanks (Again)