Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
Project

Subaru MV284 fixing up again.

Project

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31 OFFLINE   Joey spud

Joey spud

• Full Members
  • 1,096 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • LocationKent

Posted 15 March 2019 - 10:52 AM

My inner ball joints (drum sticks) have had a bit of play in them for years.

Inner and outter balljoints are sometimes found on ebay so are brake pads but discs are very hard to find and are often incorrectly listed and are the smaller early pick up non vented ones.

Rockauto in the U.S have everything you need and if you try to order parts from the same warehouse (A,B,C) then the postage isn't too bad.

I use an '86 brat as my look up.

https://www.rockauto... hub,rotor,1896

https://www.rockauto...,brake pad,1684

https://www.rockauto...ie rod end,7428

• Burnside, Jim Bell, Shite Knight and 1 other like this

#32 ONLINE   Anglevan

Anglevan

• Full Members
  • 680 posts
  • 2 thanks
  • LocationWakey

Posted 15 March 2019 - 05:44 PM

Another thumbs up for rock auto. I sourced all my parts from there. Only rear shoes were wrong as the US brats have smaller back brakes. I managed to source a rear disc set up so that solved that issue. In the process of fitting a new fuel tank in mine and a steering arm for the mot.
  • Burnside and Joey spud like this

#33 OFFLINE   Joey spud

Joey spud

• Full Members
  • 1,096 posts
  • 7 thanks
  • LocationKent

Posted 19 March 2019 - 11:16 PM

20190319_120834.jpg

Finally decent weather today so i got outside and played Subaru.
I had previously cleaned the oil and crap from the front cross member and now decided to get the hoist out and swing the gearbox back in.

20190319_125642.jpg

20190319_135957.jpg

I then fitted the new driveshafts but left them loose in the hubs so i could raise the box up higher than normal if needed to fit the engine.

20190319_141718.jpg

I don't have a levelling bar so again used my best b+q blue string.
I got the engines angle of attack a bit wrong but it's only a short arse thing so i was able to tilt the gearbox up enough to make them match .

With the hand brake on and the gearbox in first gear to stop the input shaft turning all it needed was a spanner turning the crank via the front pulley and a bit of vigorous shaking / cussing to get everything mated together without any drama.

I'm well happy with getting the heavy bits dropped back in this afternoon as i had only planned on refitting the gearbox.

The engine crane lives up the far end of the garden and it churns up the lawn big time whenever i drag it up and down to the front of the house so that task is now ticked off.

I do love a bit of simple,well designed Japanese engineering and as i get older my joints are now creaking so i dont have the patience / mojo for doing big jobs on fiddly ill thought out European stuff anymore.

20190319_143305.jpg

• Burnside, RobT, Lacquer Peel and 6 others like this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Project

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users