Probably the best automotive country in the world........

Tamworthbay

So which country is the best in terms of automotive excellence and development?

Uk - home of most F1 teams, some big names who were there at the start of car development.

Germany - arguably the originators of the car, home to some ‘premium’ makers and sports car behemoth Porsche

France - weird wonderful and what could be more beautiful than a Panhard?

Italy - Ferrari and Lamborghini homeland as well as the Rally giants Lancia and fix it again Tony’s Fiat makers of some of the worlds finest small cars

Japan - quality, if slightly dull, cars for masses and some crazy shit as well like some Kei cars

Sweden - Saab and its turbos, Volvo and it’s safety and antique dealer friendly

estates

Russia - utilitarian transport for the masses* (possibly, if you could get one)

USA - home of the straight road and enormous V engines of minimal power output but amazing sound.

So who is the best of the best?

A Steyr Puch is certainly the pinnacle of automotivedom.

So you need to take one to New Zealand, because of the inherent lack of amazing driving roads, scenery and import cars in Austria.

The problem with New Zealand, however, is that it doesn't have a village named Fucking.

https://www.trademe.co.nz/motors/used-cars/mercedesbenz/auction-1955513084.htm?rsqid=d2396a2971b342e98c7989933229367c

How fucking much?!

I can't decide on the merits of various countries engineering prowess but for shiters there is no better country than the UK.  Cars are cheaper to buy and own, roads are better for driving and regulations far more sensible than anywhere else.  Even the traffic and creeping big brother state do not outweigh these benefits.

Shite cars in America are expensive, the roads are mostly dull and the rules dangerously lax.

Mainland Europe has ridiculous restrictions despite some remarkably shitey cars.

Australia is regulation hell with a hatred of anything old or modified.

Japan doesn't even allow chod, once it gets too expensive to pass the Shaken it's shipped off to NZ, Russia or the UK.

The prosecution rests.

Czechoslovakia or whatever they call the bits now.  They gave us air cooled V8s, flat fours, rear engines, swing axles and rally class winners, and that's just the cars.  They pioneered independent suspension and air cooled V12s for HGVs.  I do, of course, acknowledge Austria's contribution to much of this by Hans Ledwinka.  Although I've not been there, I'm told that there is some stunning scenery in that area as well.

I have owned several rear engined Skodas and loved the way they handled.  In the 1980s I and a friend came close to buying a Tatra 603. Our respective wives applied common sense (mine wanted a new kitchen).  About 25 years ago there was a Tatra dealer at Fosters Booth, just a few miles down the road from where I live.  This presented me with more unachievable dreams, but I've got a brochure for the RHD Tim Bishop 613.

Scotland, duh!

I give you the Argyll Turbo GT.

Argyll_turbo_GT.JPG

It has a Rover 3.5 V8 shoved in it, with a turbo bolted on. It also has the suspension from a Triumph 2500 and the dashboard from a Volvo (SVM approved!).

It's also utterly shite. They only made two of them. The one in the photo is just up the road from me, in Alford. :D

Scotland, duh!

I give you the Argyll Turbo GT.

Argyll_turbo_GT.JPG

It has a Rover 3.5 V8 shoved in it, with a turbo bolted on. It also has the suspension from a Triumph 2500 and the dashboard from a Volvo (SVM approved!).

It's also utterly shite. They only made two of them. The one in the photo is just up the road from me, in Alford. :D

alexander dennis anaw (i know its only bodies but meh)

^ I seem to remember a tangled-up connection between Argyll Cars from Lochgilphead and Minnow Fish carburettors. They may have been agents or something like that.

Reminds me of the 1970 Minnow Fish Avenger 'Highlander' Turbo.

(Yes, turbo!).

2jFJg7t.jpg

From a couple of years before the Tigers were built by Hillman. Have never seen one so can only assume they made very few of them. A limited amount of info on the net. Why wasn't it a success? I don't know, high cost possibly, or maybe technical issues.

Sorry, distraction from the main point of this thread. Out of the whole world we've temporarily landed at Lochgilphead. But someone may be interested.

Carry on :-)