Small car petrol only £2000 to £3000. Advice!!!!

Matty

A 2004 Polo really ought to be quite well under £1,000 even with low mileage. For £2,000-£3,000 I'd humbly suggest something Japanese, Korean, Vauxhall or Ford.

Exactly that. You're paying for perceived provenance even though those 40000 warranted miles might've involved some old giffer revving it's knackers off on a slipped clutch in first whilst shunting a supermarket trolley. I still like ivecos though!!

Swift is an excellent shout. That budget would get a fairly decent Ibiza as well if you fancy a slightly sexier Polo but for minimum hassle a Swift, i10, or Picanto may be the way to go.

After all the good suggestions my money is on an early Fiat 500, Mini, or Alfa Romeo Mito with no service history ending up on the driveway

Thanks everyone for making the effort. Problem is she doesn't want Japanese or Korean ect cos perceived image. I'm reckoning Mk6 fiesta/ MK2/3 focus

So she’s wanting advise but has already ruled out anything decent?

Trying to help people choose a car is a fools errand, all they want is for you to tell them their idea is best.

Personally if it were my money id be going bigger. Small cars don't seem good value for money. And I'm amazed that no one on here has said ax yet!! Once again thanks to everyone who has posted thanks for making the effort. Statistically the winner on here is small and Japanese. And that's what she won't be buying ! As Jonathan Dyane said a fools errand! Still you can but try..

I thought the Mk7 Fiesta was the current one!

When I said ‘Mk6’ above I meant the 2008 to 2016 one. Is the Mk7 the Mk6 with the ‘Aston Martin gob’ facelift from about 2013 onwards?

Ford are probably up to the Mk37 with the Transit.

Anyway all petrol Fiestas are a good call, although I wouldn’t be sure about an Ecoboost 1.0 7 or 8 years down the line...

Don't spend £2,000-£3,000, spend £1,000 on a Fiat Panda.  Delightful to drive, simple, cheap to buy and incredibly cheap to run.  Have character too.

Keep the rest in the bank.

This would be my advice.

Audi A2s are supposed to be good too.

I take the lady in question has ruled out Japanese and Korean cars, due to ‘the image’. Perhaps too granny for her.

Channeling my inner Billy for something ‘cool’ how about an Astra H Sports Hatch?

There are probably five door Astra J’s (2010 onwards one) around for £3k, but might be right at the bottom of the price scale for them and thus not the best model to concentrate on.

I’m sure there are plenty of mildly fucked examples that started life as Motability and daily rentals about, ready to ensnare the innocent bargain hunter and populate the ‘All Vauxhall’s Are ...’ thread.