W639 Vito £1600

Fabergé Greggs

I hate those fucking things with a passion.

We ran three, a 56, a 58 and a 59, the latter two from new. Back brakes were a service item, they were an absolute bastardarsed fortune to tax, pantshittingly skittish in the rain and they were cripplingly uncomfortable on a long journey.

Well bought!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

IN4 MOR PIxORS.

I was actually seriously looking at these things recently, but concluded that every one for sale was:

A) fooken expensive, anything with an MOT and seats in the back seems to be 2.5-3k

2) been to the moon and back, I saw an ex-taxi on 398k (declared) and barely any below 200k.

iii) fucked: rot, black death, interiors that look like they've occupied by a particularly savage dog on a dirty protest, etc etc.

If you have managed to avoid even one of those 3 without shelling out a 5 figure sum you've done pretty well.

Knowing what he paid, some of you will be surprised. I think it has an endearing quality, somehow. Also, its London, so something like this is equally at home down a residential road half outside a parking bay, as it is in the back corner of a semi abandoned cash and carry car park.

Also, probably a bit better on the juice than the Saab.

I just saw it advertised for what seemed like an unmissable amount on another obscure forum that I frequent.. I've always been tempted by a van for OMG camper conversion/buying motorbikes in Scotland and selling them in London/taking my Vespa on holiday by the beach/driving to Spain and importing Vespas so I just sort of panicked and bought it.

I bought it from Panalux who do lighting for films. They have a massive, well maintained fleet of Mercedes trucks of all shapes and sizes. This one has been replaced by a ULEZ compliant one so they let it go for peanuts.

It seems rust free, has FSH (loads of money previously spent keeping it tip-top: subframe removed to replaced gear linkages!!! £1200!!), is clean and has windows and provisions for seats in the back as fitted by MB. I can go and pick up the rest of the seats in a month or so but right now they're using them in the replacement.

The guy did say that it "needs an injector maybe due to occasional missfire- just being cautious".. and there is a little whiff on diesel in the cabin so it could be early onset black death but it certainly seems to run like a fucking champ to me. The glow plug light stays on if it's cold for 5 seconds or so after running and 2nd crunches if you rush it when cold but other that it's niiice.. for a van..

I snapped it up from another community but I’m a community minded fellow: so if a shiter wanted to make me an offer such that they felt they were getting an bargain for something they really wanted then feel free to get in touch.. the webuyanycar price is £2000 as a guide.

IMG-0052.jpg

IMG-0053.jpg

IMG-0054.jpg

IMG-0055.jpg

IMG-0056.jpg

IMG-0057.jpg

IMG-0058.jpg

IMG-0059.jpg

IMG-0060.jpg

IMG-0061.jpg

IMG-0063.jpg

Huh. Well I go to London a lot and see these everywhere, but it could just be me? Wasn't a dig at the city, don't worry, I ain't one of them London haters.

Oh right ok... now I come to think of it the bloke over the road has one...so maybe you're right... but I hadn't noticed them being any more ubiquitous that any other kind of van really. I suppose popular as a crew van / minibus / taxi sort of thing. A bit more status than a Transit, so probably good for ferrying and film crews and creative types about in.

Anyway, looks nice Jack. Are you going to keep it? I'd be tempted but even if it's cheap at 2k it's still out of my budget ATM.

Anyway, looks nice Jack. Are you going to keep it? I'd be tempted but even if it's cheap at 2k it's still out of my budget ATM.

I set out with honest intentions to keep every car I ever bought but that never seems to work out...

hey, who said you’d have to pay £2k? ;)

pantshittingly skittish in the rain

This one has 88 bhp so shouldn't be too scary...

I've always fancied one of the daft 220bhp ones with the 3-litre V6 out of the E320 CDI, but they're a bit* out of my price range still.  Also they have the usual intrusive Mercedes traction control, so probably not even much fun on wet roundabouts.

This one has 88 bhp so shouldn't be too scary...

I've always fancied one of the daft 220bhp ones with the 3-litre V6 out of the E320 CDI, but they're a bit* out of my price range still. Also they have the usual intrusive Mercedes traction control, so probably not even much fun on wet roundabouts.

Ours were only 111CDis and they were bad enough, even with that Mercedes TCS. So twitchy, even an LDV 200 feels more planted.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Some unexpected bills and a general drive for simplification:

Do any shiters want this for a bargainous £1600?

Yes, I’ve had it less than a week, but this is AS, give me a break!

Clearly those that pondered “why” had some grounds

Some unexpected bills and a general drive for simplification:

Do any shiters want this for a bargainous £1600?

Yes, I’ve had it less than a week, but this is AS, give me a break!

Clearly those that pondered “why” had some grounds

If monies are needed for paying bills why not take the £2k off Wbac?

Also not sure if they knock loads off for the bit of rust on the arch etc? Anyone got any experience?

They do. I got a £1200 quote on a d4d Yaris. And it actually looked canny. By the time the lad with the clipboard had gone round noting every tiny scratch or paint chip, it was down to £450.

Joke was on them though as the head gasket was fucked. They didn't even lift the bonnet.

May very well do that, just offering up some karma.

Also not sure if they knock loads off for the bit of rust on the arch etc? Anyone got any experience?

That would be well under a grand on WBAC after they've decimated it.

I've got one of these and they are great vans, I've mailed mine everywhere without brilliant tyres and found the handling absolutely fine on it.

Mine needs work but I got laughed at on here at £750 so probably best selling through the free ads etc.

Price seems good to me, they good their money well. Yours has exactly the same faults as mine, plug light staying on is simply a failed/failing glow plug which makes no difference on these, they're on the button in any weather. 2nd gear stiff? TADTS, change to thinner oil helps greatly (mines had a new clutch/DMF) and the injector washers always fail and give you a chuffing sound (be cautious about MOT fail for this as they will eventually start smoking more and more, but still drive fine).

I've seen some absolute nails for £2k, which is why I'm going to weld mine up, MOT it and then either use or sell on.

They fly too, well the 110 version I've got does, bet yours moves ok as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Wonder how easy it would be to camper this up?

Insurance..... bottom raping or reasonable?

Pretty easy as a lot of T5 parts fit for to similarities.

I looked in a guy in works T5 and found it had less headroom despite these being rwd? Strange but true.

Plus an equivalent T5 would be £15,000,000 I expect.

Pretty easy as a lot of T5 parts fit for to similarities.

I looked in a guy in works T5 and found it had less headroom despite these being rwd? Strange but true.

Plus an equivalent T5 would be £15,000,000 I expect.

Aye true enough. I had a t5 for four years. It was alright but not great by any stretch.