1997 Fiat Punto 60S. Full MOT. £295* West Norfolk

BeEP

As mentioned in the BeEP's Motors thread the 1997 Fiat Punto I saved from being scrapped last month went straight through its MOT yesterday.  Just two advisories for a light misting of oil on one shock absorber and one tyre close to the limit. 

Very solid underneath, never welded with just a few patches which could do with a bit of attention from a wire brush and paint/underseal/old oil etc.

Bodywork presentable, although the photos do flatter it.  There are a number of parking type dents, scratches and scrapes.

Interior nice; just one stain on the driver's seat which I have improved but not yet eradicated.  I'll keep trying.  S is base spec, so no electric windows, no power steering, no central locking, no temperature gauge, no rev counter etc.  In other words less to go wrong so has to be worth more!

The only issue is that the clutch release bearing needs changing.  The clutch drags very slightly, meaning a bit of force is needed to engage first and reverse.  Still perfectly driveable though.  And before anyone suggests it no, it's not the clutch hydraulics.  I thought that,  I was wrong!

So here's the (current) deal.  A friend has offered to help me do the release bearing on 4th March,  However, with other incoming cars and a preference for a lazy life if anyone wants it for what it owes me (£295 - yes, I probably paid too much) it can go as is (release bearing supplied but not fitted).

Alternatively, if there's an appetite for a £5 per ticket roffle that could also work, but only if all tickets are sold in time for the 2nd March draw.

Obviously afer March 4th the price will increase to reflect the release bearing having (hopefully) been changed.

Anyway, enough waffle, have some photos. it really is quite a nice little thing.

post-17876-0-97449700-1550265589_thumb.jpg

post-17876-0-96988000-1550265601_thumb.jpg

post-17876-0-60139900-1550265612_thumb.jpg

post-17876-0-88366900-1550265623_thumb.jpg

post-17876-0-44129100-1550265637_thumb.jpg

post-17876-0-78064500-1550265650_thumb.jpgpost-17876-0-96530800-1550265663_thumb.jpgpost-17876-0-24393000-1550265673_thumb.jpg

A few more things I should have mentioned (you'd think with the amount of cars I've sold I'd have got the hang of it by now!).

It comes with 3 keys including the red one.  Also has the original handbook in wallet, but very little history.

Original radio/cassette still fitted and in working order.

And it's only done 49,000 miles.

I love this thing, but I couldn't possibly justify it given that it's a long way away and I have other fleet rationalization issues to sort out. However I could risk a couple of roffle tickets and hide it in a shed till spring if I accidentally won it. So on that basis 6 and 16 please if you go for the roffle. I flipped a couple of these and can now proudly boast I can now change a cam belt on one of these in under an hour start to finish on a sunny day!

I saved ones of these years ago during the Beijing Olympics when scrap prices went crazy. I paid less than the scrap value for an almost identical model with a knackered clutch. The idea being if I couldn’t sort the clutch I’d weigh it in for a small profit.

I ran for it about a year, great wee car I found the fuel economy was the same thrashed or driving carefully so I used this as an excuse to drive it like an Italian everywhere.

There should be a shield over the coil to stop water from being splashed on it, I made one up using a microwave meal tray as shown in the pic, I would advise the next owner to do the same.

post-17353-0-63652800-1550268518_thumb.jpeg