Beep beep beep - living the P38 dream

The Moog

PROPER collection thread. Mucho respecto, yo.

Quite fancy a P38. But no.

Same here, but I've always thought that it would be a bit like having an outdoor swimming pool in this country, cost a fortune to run and only be useful a few days in the year (probably be full of water as well)

Lucky for you good people there is a once in a shiter's lifetime opportunity to purchase a *fine example of the P38 model of your very own at an initially very affordable price from my good self :)

(will require trailering and the sort of big bollocks ably demonstrated by the interpid adventurers on this thread) :)

Please form an orderly cyber queue :-P

I have 2 top cars of all time I got for £500 - the Celsior from our beloved Wuvv's on here that was a bloody miracle on wheels - just immense.

2nd is the P38 I ignored all sense and advice and bought ebay blind with 'possible leaking airbag at the rear and unknown battery drain'...…. WGPGW - took munchkin - who was the grand old age of 5 - with me and we did London zoo before collecting and driving back to Brussels. Only time we stopped on the motorway was because he couldn't wait until the next services!

It was fantastic…….

I went for the 4.0 - it sank every time I switched off and if it was more than 3days I was left with an 'alternative' bonnet opener and battery charge - then the key turn tango. Apart from that it was fucking brilliant and towed anything and everything I loaded up between here and Germany regularly. truly loved it.

I know I got lucky - but £500 - what can you expect? It blew the bags on one tow - so they were replaced - not actually too bad and can be done relatively quickly too. Ex had it towed as part of her revenge when we split (long story).

Looking forward to you getting through this and having it in use. they really are a proper nice place to be when botching up the miles.

I'm fine for now - but a supercharged version is on the wish list - hopefully in time for next winter...…..

Top buying, fixing and fetching…….. keep the updates coming.

One thing we forgot to mention was that Saabnut had said that the RR kept locking itself no matter what.

Cue moving it into the garage for work to start and the car kept locking and unlocking.

Many eyes were rolled until we worked out njgleeds had the keys in his pocket and kept rolling on them :-)

As a result, I’ve been on the lookout for something that could replace both the Volvo and the recovery truck. It needs to be able to tow a 3.5t trailer if needs be and have a full compliment of seats/windows which rules out a van. Also, four wheel drive comes in handy a few times a year as we live in semi-rural Lancashire up on the edge of Pendle hill.

This P38 seems like a fairly decent tow car:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tQ1SCNGO34c

FFS. Just checked the service specs as I’ve no idea when it was last done......

.....nine and a half bloody litres!!!

And Junkman thought he was hard done by.

Last oil change was 2 years and about 3k miles ago, when the oil cooler split and had a secondhand one fitted. That, new water pump, belts etc cost oooh, that will be 600 quid Sir!

Been a bit busy this week with paying jobs hence not much progress to report yet...however I’ve had it up in the air and found one or two bits to be attended to.

I’ve also agreed to buy another with serious engine issues.

As you do.

Anyway, it’s about time I resurrected my ‘grim up north’ thread and kept it all in one place so as they say on the beeb when the snooker is over running, action of the P38 variety will resume shortly over there.

The 2.5 DSE is slow as hell, but I did find out something interesting about that side of things.

If you have a later one with the EGR valve, it also has a MAF sensor just after the air filter which not only operates the EGR valve but also helps calculate fuelling. Earlier DSE's without the EGR had a manifold air pressure sensor for fuelling calculation instead, which the EGR model lacks (as MAF's are more accurate). If the air filter hasn't been changed regularly, the MAF is likely not working properly.

HOWEVER.

This MAF has no feedback for operation to the BeCM, so you will get no error message when it fails or if it's failed already. After realising how unbelievably slow my DSE was after getting it back on the road, and learning about the above, I unplugged my MAF.

Pulls like a bloody train now.

Obviously not a proper fix, it needs a new MAF, but my god it's slow as a god damn snail with a knackered MAF plugged in. Must be stuck right at the bottom of the fuelling curve. With the MAF unplugged the BeCM defaults to pre-programmed curves.