Allo Allo, Topless French fancy or Pug deux-zero-cinq or how to fix fuel injection without resorting to fire or insanity

Tamworthbay

post-19712-0-58870700-1553183558_thumb.jpgOne day to go to the MoT, so just time for one more pointless parts pic. Jobs planned for tomorrow: Swap washer pump, check lights are still working, syphon fuel so I can put some fresh in, fit battery tray, change plugs and leads, mess about with intake plastics, bit of a clean if time, then MoT with fingers crossed.

Think I saw the rally car at lunchtime near Stone..

Sent from my Moto G (5) using Tapatalk

It was red with sponsor stickers on the doors and front wings. Looked very nice. It has a 1.2 106 engine in. The guy said it’s a better engine to tune but stay in the 1.2 class.

So the idle......... I swapped out the plugs and leads and also parts of the intake system including the valve that shifts air from the cool intake to the manifold as it wasn’t working. I reconnected the battery withoutbthe ICV attached and it was idling beautifully. I then reconnected the ICV and it started hunting again, disconnecting it made no difference (almost as if the ECU had learnt bad habits! It was not stalling though so off to the MoT with it disconnected. The emissions were through the roof (not surprised as plugs were black) so thanks to kind MoT man I reconnected the ICV and they came down instantly AND it started idling nicely! Then on the way home it was idling at around 3000rpm. I took out the spacer I had put in to prevent it stalling and hey presto all is good. All this has convinced me I know the square root of fuck all about how and why this is happening but just possibly today’s work has sorted the problem, if not we will keep at it as the car is driveable if not perfect so no biggy.

It was easier having a fail sheet to work to than just one out of MoT. The list was ‘quite long’ but it was mostly just working through the list and doing a service as well. I have done a few other bits, mostly rust protection as well. Next job for this afternoon is to recur the wheel trim- the plastic bit came off and left the metal ring firmly attached to the wheel. That was the very first thing I did to the car! Then I plan to look at the stereo as well but think I will need to buy an adapter as the Renault one I gained from LAFF on here just has a hole and some pins at the back.

Gave the 205 a wash this afternoon. My other half helped and commented on how much better it will look once I put the wheel trim back on. Ah shit, I did put them all back on prior to the MoT. So after 26 years I have managed to lose one in a month, bugger. BUT it’s only been from my work to the MoT place. So I jumped in the Ovlov and headed to retrace my steps. Home to MoT place saw about a hundred McDs cups but no wheel trim, MOT place back to work was empty up to the really rough estate where my work is on. No chance then as it will have been stamped on or used as frisbee. My only hope is that it fell off in the work car park. Driving along the main route through the estate and I spy a circular shape, thankfully face down so dark grey. There is only 20yds of grass in a mile and it’s sat slap bang in the middle of it. Quick stop and woohoo! We have a full compliment of wheel trims again! It looks bloody fantastic for a clean as well. Just need to track down some new rubber trims for the Windows now.

Anyone had any luck with any of the bumper restoration products? I tried some cheap ‘back to black’ type shizzle from Morrisons but it’s not done much. I have seen the heat gun trick but sure about that as there are other plastics bordering the bumpers.

I used some gtechnic on my cavalier great

On the black bumper bits and the side strips. Expensive but it lasted ages. Didn't work on the Honda scuttle panel though. I think certain things suit certain plastics somewhat annoyingly. I have not tackled the peugeot plastic yet. But it seems like a hard plastic so reckon it could be worth trying maybe the autoglym bumper trim

The weirdest thing I can remember has happened. I spent a couple of hours trying to track down an adapter for the Renault stereo I got off here but could only find din- male connector. So I gave up and ordered an adapter that was don one end and bare wires the other so I could solder it to the existing one. It arrived today but instead of a bare end it has the exact connector I need on the end, seeing as A: I ordered a bared ended one and B: that particular socket was only used for 4 years and only on Peugeot cars I would imagine the chance of this coincidence must be millions to one!

So happy me takes the adapter and stereo out to the car. It’s perfect for the car and looks spot on buuuuuuut it’s not responding in any way to my attempts to put the code in. It just beeps whatever button I press. It should work by cycling through using the preset buttons but no go. What a fecker. I have left it plugged in in case it needs time to reset or something after being disconnected for so long but I am not holding out much hope. So where can I find a naff early 90s stereo from? I sense a trip to the tip shop coming.

Anyone had any luck with any of the bumper restoration products? I tried some cheap ‘back to black’ type shizzle from Morrisons but it’s not done much. I have seen the heat gun trick but sure about that as there are other plastics bordering the bumpers.

post-20412-0-24206100-1553633660_thumb.png

This stuff is the best for faded 205 bumpers. Comes in Black or varying shades of grey. It actually dyes the plastic back rather than coat it. Tidy unshrunk upper window trims are like rocking poo to find these days. Apparently the Peugeot Museum are about to start remaking a batch but probably won't be cheap.

attachicon.gifScreenshot_20190326-205138.png

This stuff is the best for faded 205 bumpers. Comes in Black or varying shades of grey. It actually dyes the plastic back rather than coat it. Tidy unshrunk upper window trims are like rocking poo to find these days. Apparently the Peugeot Museum are about to start remaking a batch but probably won't be cheap.

Any window trims seem hard to find! I have messaged a dozen people bteaking 3 door 205s and not even had a ‘sorry nope’ back yet.