Allo Allo, Topless French fancy or Pug deux-zero-cinq or how to fix fuel injection without resorting to fire or insanity

Tamworthbay

So an extension, Capri and general life just isn’t busy enough so a new arrival is (relatively) imminent from the superb Strangeangel of this Parish. The fail sheet is fairly extensive but nothing too scary. Once it has been delivered (by a Northern bloke called Ron) I will do a full inspection and see what it needs to get it ready for some summer fun.

Parts wise it will need at least discs and pads, possibly calipers and possible some rear end attention as handbrake is marginal according to Sir MoT man. It needs a lower suspension arm as the ball joint is fubar. Does anyone know if there were any/ many differences across the 205 range? ECP are asking £95 but list one for £27 on eBay for a 1.4 205 but the fitment range doesn’t include the convertible. Then comes the joy of fault finding electrical issues and French fuel injection. I am truly excited! As I don’t have a pic of my own, have one from the for sale thread:

post-19712-0-23511800-1549915414_thumb.jpeg

So an extension, Capri and general life just isn’t busy enough so a new arrival is (relatively) imminent from the superb Strangeangel of this Parish. The fail sheet is fairly extensive but nothing too scary. Once it has been delivered (by a Northern bloke called Ron) I will do a full inspection and see what it needs to get it ready for some summer fun.

Parts wise it will need at least discs and pads, possibly calipers and possible some rear end attention as handbrake is marginal according to Sir MoT man. It needs a lower suspension arm as the ball joint is fubar. Does anyone know if there were any/ many differences across the 205 range? ECP are asking £95 but list one for £27 on eBay for a 1.4 205 but the fitmentbrange doesn’t include the convertible. Then comes the joy of fault finding electrical issues and French fuel injection. I am truly excited! As I don’t have a pic of my own, have one from the for sale thread:

attachicon.gif6ADC2779-AAEA-4A1E-A91F-85FAB85408AE.jpeg

AFAIK all suitcase & TU engined 205s use the same front suspension including the CJ. Only the GTi & CTi are different.

I have spent a bit of time trying to research the dodgy idle issue with very little success. Air leaks, MAF and dodgy coil pack are the usual suspects and at £9 for a coil pack I tempted to just chuck one at it as worse case scenario is that I have a spare. Until I get the car (Friday) and have a look at the running problem (sometime the week after next) it’s rad to diagnose as distance but does anyone have any experience with the single point injection on these? It’s a 1.4. I am guessing they have some sort of idle control valve so that will be worth a check as well.

Other than that I have priced up the other parts and service bits needed and best case scenario is around £200, worse case about £300 but only if it has one type of calipers and they are beyond repair which I hope is unlikely. Plus any bits that come to light as I work around it.

I am really looking forward to it Ken, the welding looks a bit involved to do it well as opposed to a quick patch, but it can’t be as bad as the Capri. Brakes is brakes and suspension isn’t that bad if you know a few tricks (and own a BFO ratchet strap) so the idle issue is the one that might take the most head scratching.

That is what I thought, thanks for the confirmation.

With old pugs and brakes I've always found the best course of action is to take the part off and dump it on the counter of your fave motor factors and say, I'll have one of those please. There's no rhyme or reason to what type gets fitted to what model, it just must have depended on what day of the week it was.

With old pugs and brakes I've always found the best course of action is to take the part off and dump it on the counter of your fave motor factors and say, I'll have one of those please. There's no rhyme or reason to what type gets fitted to what model, it just must have depended on what day of the week it was.

I feared that would be the case, the problem is that someone on here has some for sale, hopefully when it arrives I can work it out.

So I was just about to get stuck into the brakes for a few hours when I got a call to say my Mum is heading back to hospital in an ambulance :-( so no more will get done for a while. Just waiting to hear what’s happening before I shoot off to see her.

First impressions of the 205, fuck I love this thing already. Some cars just grab you the second you see them and this is one of those.everything feels nice about it. It needs a fair bit of work but what better way to get to know it? I genuinely can’t wait to get stuck in and get this back to roadworthy again. I have ordered some bits already but just trying to work out which brakes it has before I get those bits on the way from one of our own on here.

They look like Bendix calipers, also fitted to ZXs, 306s, and 309s, normally the lower powered models. Normally have a 5 sided bolthead, and the wear indicator grooves in the centres of the pad sit assymetrically

I've only seen Lucas calipers on 1.9s, though I don't think they were exclusive to the 'big' GTi.

They look like Bendix calipers, also fitted to ZXs, 306s, and 309s, normally the lower powered models. Normally have a 5 sided bolthead, and the wear indicator grooves in the centres of the pad sit assymetrically

I've only seen Lucas calipers on 1.9s, though I don't think they were exclusive to the 'big' GTi.

Thanks that confirms what I was thinking. Do you need a special spanner for the five sided bolt head? It's not something I have come across before.

Hope mum is okay.

Fab Pug purchasing.

That’s what you said when I told you by PM :-) I seem to recall it went something like this- hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

The five sided socket is proving tricky to track down, there appear to be different sizes (12.5mm, 14mm and 19mm) and I don’t have the faintest clue which I need and at nearly £20 a pop I don’t want to get it wrong. I will have a chat with my local independent motor factor and see if they have any.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Pagid-3-Piece-1-2-Inch-Pentagon-Drive-Socket-Bit-Set-10mm-14mm-19mm/223211540245?hash=item33f871cf15:g:Jg8AAOSwEVtb2X7~:rk:1:pf:1&frcectupt=true

Try searching for "pentagon socket". Much more satisfying price.

Hope your Mum is ok.

That’s what you said when I told you by PM :-) I seem to recall it went something like this- hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

The five sided socket is proving tricky to track down, there appear to be different sizes (12.5mm, 14mm and 19mm) and I don’t have the faintest clue which I need and at nearly £20 a pop I don’t want to get it wrong. I will have a chat with my local independent motor factor and see if they have any.