Welcome to Autoshite

Welcome to Autoshite, like most online communities you must register to view or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Be apart of Autoshite by signing in or creating an account.
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get automatic updates
  • Get your own profile and make new friends
  • Customize your experience here
Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Buick HALP! plz

• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 ONLINE   egg

egg

• Full Members
  • 8,448 posts
  • 104 thanks
  • LocationHerne Bay

Posted 11 February 2019 - 09:33 PM

Hows the Fuel Filter?

1967 Mk12c Invacar, 1993 Ford Mondeo 1.6 base, 1995 Mazda 323c 1.5 auto.

#32 OFFLINE   colc

colc

• Full Members
  • 4,159 posts
  • 5 thanks
  • LocationThe Garden of Ingerland..........

Posted 11 February 2019 - 10:06 PM

This may sound bizarre.....but I once had this fault on a V8 Jag...turned out the oil was old, and didn't have the viscosity to pump the hydraulic tappets...........changed the oil, fired first turn.........

• wuvvum likes this
You can tune a piano, but you can't tuna fish

#33 OFFLINE   garethj

garethj

• Full Members
  • 4,947 posts
  • 11 thanks

Posted 11 February 2019 - 10:08 PM

The test light on the injectors might not be telling you the whole story, if the voltage isn’t high enough they won’t fire. My ancient K-Jetronic needed 9.6V to fire them which you couldn’t tell from a light, only from an oscilloscope or by pulling the injector out and watching it spray over your shoes.

I think you might have to bite the bullet and pull the rail or one of the individual injectors out.

If it’s not that, it could be that the spark isn’t strong enough which is probably going to cost money to fix
  • wuvvum likes this

The Porsche 928 is terrifying, yet oddly alluring. It's like spending the night with that Jo Frost Supernanny woman

#34 ONLINE   Barry Cade.

Barry Cade.

• Full Members
  • 3,747 posts
  • 29 thanks
  • LocationWear the fox hat

Posted 11 February 2019 - 10:25 PM

Easyest way of telling a duff crank sensor- usually- is watch the rev counter when spinning over on the starter- it should register as the ECU usually gets its RPM signal from it. Older cars can have the sparks triggered from the crank sensor, and the injectors triggered from the cam sensor, not familiar with this motor though. Honda's were notorious for the igniter chip going down on the dizzy and having these issues, symptoms for weeks before was the rev counter going apeshit.

• BeEP likes this

2003 Saab 9-5 Aero HOT estate

2004 Daihatsu Charade SL

2002 Mercedes Vito Traveliner camper

#35 OFFLINE   wuvvum

wuvvum

• Full Members
  • 13,279 posts
  • 46 thanks

Posted 11 February 2019 - 10:27 PM

The test light on the injectors might not be telling you the whole story, if the voltage isn’t high enough they won’t fire. My ancient K-Jetronic needed 9.6V to fire them which you couldn’t tell from a light, only from an oscilloscope or by pulling the injector out and watching it spray over your shoes.

I think you might have to bite the bullet and pull the rail or one of the individual injectors out.

If it’s not that, it could be that the spark isn’t strong enough which is probably going to cost money to fix

Sparks looked OK when I connected a lead to a spare spark plug.  The plugs in the engine could be completely shagged, but I'm going to replace those so will hopefully rule that out.

Insufficient voltage to the injectors is a possibility - they only seem to be getting 6-8v according to the multimeter.  What would be causing that though?

Hows the Fuel Filter?

Dunno - not sure where it is (it's not under the bonnet).  It can't be too blocked up though as there's plenty of fuel getting through to the engine bay.

This may sound bizarre.....but I once had this fault on a V8 Jag...turned out the oil was old, and didn't have the viscosity to pump the hydraulic tappets...........changed the oil, fired first turn.........

That's an interesting one - would it not be the oil being too thick and keeping the tappets pumped up though?  I had that on my old Rover 400 once after revving the engine too hard right after a cold start, but that then resulted in no compression (which was evident from the noise the engine made when turning over).  I'd be surprised if the oil was too thin, especially with a cold engine and sub-zero ambient temperature.

#36 ONLINE   Barry Cade.

Barry Cade.

• Full Members
  • 3,747 posts
  • 29 thanks
  • LocationWear the fox hat

Posted 11 February 2019 - 10:32 PM

OK, looks like cam sensor does control injector pulse..

4016716271_30e43804d8_o.jpg

2003 Saab 9-5 Aero HOT estate

2004 Daihatsu Charade SL

2002 Mercedes Vito Traveliner camper

#37 OFFLINE   Zelandeth

Zelandeth

• Full Members
  • 2,226 posts
  • 26 thanks
  • LocationMilton Keynes

Posted 11 February 2019 - 10:42 PM

How's the engine earth?

Big volt drop there during cranking could cause all sorts of electronic gremlins.

I'd try it with a decent jump lead from a solid bit of metalwork on the engine straight to the battery negative terminal and see if there's any difference.
  • tooSavvy likes this

Current fleet: 1996 Citroen Xantia 2.0T Activa. 1993 Lada Riva 1.5EFi Estate.  1990 Mercedes 208D Auto Trail Navajo.  1985 Sinclair C5.  1973 AC Model 70.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users