Thames TV Retro Road Tests. Feel Free To Add.

warren t claim

Right, that's every clip I can find so far. Obviously, I don't want to "own" this thread so if any other shiter sees something new and relevant from Thames TV pop up in their YouTube inbox then please add to the thread. I think there's enough merit in their uploads to warrant a thread of their own away from our normal YouTube thread.

Yeah, Golders Green hasn't changed much, although sadly the cars have! Having said that, a 1971 Humber Sceptre drove past me there this afternoon, it would have been right at home in the video above.

In the cut and shut video, at about 2:40 the presenter says that you could legitimately weld the good front half of one car to the back half of another and it would be perfectly roadworthy, if done properly. Is that really possible?

Yeah, Golders Green hasn't changed much, although sadly the cars have! Having said that, a 1971 Humber Sceptre drove past me there this afternoon, it would have been right at home in the video above.

In the cut and shut video, at about 2:40 the presenter says that you could legitimately weld the good front half of one car to the back half of another and it would be perfectly roadworthy, if done properly. Is that really possible?

As far as I know, for a car before the implementation of high tensile steel bodywork (which started with the 1983 W201), it would be perfectly fine to weld two ends of a car together without it affecting too much the already crap crashworthiness of these cars.

People are still doing it today. Legality depends on jurisdiction. For it to drive properly though you'd need proper jig and measurement. Apparently the best way to do it is to joint them at the original spot welds.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 5/19/2019 at 10:01 AM, egg said:

Modular plastic Fiat VSS prototype. Whatever happened? Lack of investment, I think.

f17a2ace001b73920835baf3237b71d99d08c5f7

It became the Tipo/Tempra range and all the vehicles that were spun off that floorpan/structure...and VW took on the concept to their advantage too...

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

I used to love wandering around scrapyards.

There was a great yard in Cheshire called Statham Enterprises that we used to go to in about 1990 when I had a 105E Anglia as they still had loads in, it was mental, cars were piled 3 high & you took your life in your hands getting to them. Great stuff !

Most old yards have now gone & are now housing estates :-(

1 hour ago, Skut said:

A young Mr Chumleigh-Warner talks very awkwardly about rubbish and then scrapyards. Notice the VW splittie camper on the pile being spared it's hipster future. 

I was going to post that, but most of it is literally, rubbish. 95% of which looked recyclable too - not a plastic bag or bottle in sight. We've come so far!