Wanted - an utterly bulletproof* motor for a good friend

binhoker668

From family fleet experience: mk1 CRV, but they are a bit thirsty, best I have achieved over 12 years is 38mpg following a friend and his trailer tent from Exeter to Snowden. Otherwise I get 31mpg with carefull driving but 25 could be what you might get. Early Berli go is a good family car, just make sure the aerial is well sealed or water getting in will cause fun*

you make it sound a bit like he cant be bothered to open the bonnet /maintain it at all , id be wary of helping some of those types, get them in a clean motor and they will still wreck it then be blaming you for recommending the shit car

cleanest honda or toyota would be the best bet ....still needs care to keep going though

Second that X 1000. Anything you buy needs looking after and will require repairs from time to time. You don’t want someone on your door every 5 minutes.

Good sense there,there's no difference between a £400 car and a £1000 car,apart from mark up,buy cheap,spend the difference sorting it yourself so you know it's right.

I don’t know, a lot of the stuff at £400 is just old rubbish. £7-800 should get you something with some life in it. I wouldn’t buy stuff with issues either, it’s never cheap enough to make it worth your while, Gumtree is littered with orphans like Mondeo diesels that ‘just need an injector’ or Vectras that won’t run ‘but my mechanic m8 says just needs a 5p washer’.

Buy something with a bit of provenance, something someone’s had for a while, the picture usually tells a thousand words. Tidy stuff sat in front of a tidy house always make better buys than scruffy stuff sat on where the lawn ought to be. Id not disregard buying through the trade either, usually they’ve a fairer idea what it’s worth and aren’t clouded by having bought a bulb for it last month so want £10 million fucking quid for it.

I have thought long and hard on how to word this without causing offence, but fuck it. Here goes and if you look through my posts you will see that I do not often swear.

You sir, are a cunt. If you do not like what Autoshite has become, fuck off and find somewhere that suits you. Today, three posts have annoyed me due to the negative attitude, and all three have been posted by you. I have been told by people that know you that you are all right in real life, and you think that your posting style is funny. It is so funny that a good friend of mine who would fit in so well here, building a 1950s V8 rat rod, a small scale steam engine and rebuilding a full size steam railway locomotive, joined and had the piss taken out of him by yourself when he had less than 10 posts and was still finding his feet. He has not been back.

Looking through your many, bad tempered and frankly rude posts, your original content is zero, just reposting for sale threads from the internet, usually with an abusive comment. In my opinion, if you WOULD fuck off, Autoshite would be a much better place.To complain about the thread of the year voting thread sums you and your attitude up.

I do not normally post these sort of things as the written word can be misconstrued but in your case I am willing to make an exception. We have had our disagreements before, but you needed telling. I will now sit back and await the abuse.

Well said sir.

You are Junkman in disguise AICMFP.

<salespitch>

Err Multipla so I can then have a nice golf estate.

Family car innit, long MoT, seemingly reliable over the last 2 months/3-4000 miles.

He can have it at the end of feb for the roffle price plus the cost of another set of trims (cos scumbags with no taste stole them at my work location) that I’ve ordered. <£800 with MoT until next year.

</salespitch>

From the details in the first post, it's moon on a stick stuff.

Being burnt once is bad luck, but given the constant bad luck, it may be that no matter how good the car served up in good faith, that his reverse Midas touch turns it to shit.

Given that he doesn't spanner and has a budget of a grand means he's on another hiding to nothing.

Like I wouldn't sell a car to a family member, friend or neighbour. I'd not get involved in finding something. It'll only come back to bite you on the arse.

About time now to unviel the autoshite mediation thread (your resolution is our concern TM). To be fair if you read what you're about to launch on the internet and it sounds like your being a twat the chances are folk will think your being a twat. Just like in real life, people ain't always going to get your sense of humour, the nuance or context etc etc etc.

Ha ha oh dear! Andy rang me last night asking me if I knew of owt for sale - told him I’d throw a post up on here for him. So yeah, many thanks for all the suggestions/offers - have send him some to check out. Good to see the usual suspects out sharpening their keyboard warrior skills too!

I am very very sorry for posting such a post. Very sorry indeed.

Some hangover today though!

I have thought long and hard on how to word this without causing offence, but fuck it. Here goes and if you look through my posts you will see that I do not often swear.

You sir, are a cunt. If you do not like what Autoshite has become, fuck off and find somewhere that suits you. Today, three posts have annoyed me due to the negative attitude, and all three have been posted by you. I have been told by people that know you that you are all right in real life, and you think that your posting style is funny. It is so funny that a good friend of mine who would fit in so well here, building a 1950s V8 rat rod, a small scale steam engine and rebuilding a full size steam railway locomotive, joined and had the piss taken out of him by yourself when he had less than 10 posts and was still finding his feet. He has not been back.

Looking through your many, bad tempered and frankly rude posts, your original content is zero, just reposting for sale threads from the internet, usually with an abusive comment. In my opinion, if you WOULD fuck off, Autoshite would be a much better place.To complain about the thread of the year voting thread sums you and your attitude up.

I do not normally post these sort of things as the written word can be misconstrued but in your case I am willing to make an exception. We have had our disagreements before, but you needed telling. I will now sit back and await the abuse.

Block and ignore for a happy life ????

Respect for making such a statement.

If we’d been having this conversation in 1999 I’d probably agree with you. 22 years after they stopped making them most that’s left are old sheds.

I think that's wrong, the old sheds are long gone at this stage, it's the good ones that are left.

Not that recommending a 22 year old car at its youngest is good for someone who isn't mechanically savvy. Any worse than a 10 year old worn out and clocked Mondeo though?

99a4da4a29ee72af20ed9facfb5fc2f8.jpg

Thread DESTROYED.

From the details in the first post, it's moon on a stick stuff.

Being burnt once is bad luck, but given the constant bad luck, it may be that no matter how good the car served up in good faith, that his reverse Midas touch turns it to shit.

Given that he doesn't spanner and has a budget of a grand means he's on another hiding to nothing.

Like I wouldn't sell a car to a family member, friend or neighbour. I'd not get involved in finding something. It'll only come back to bite you on the arse.

Yea, you have to be bub2006 for luck like that!

I think that's wrong, the old sheds are long gone at this stage, it's the good ones that are left.

Not that recommending a 22 year old car at its youngest is good for someone who isn't mechanically savvy. Any worse than a 10 year old worn out and clocked Mondeo though?

99a4da4a29ee72af20ed9facfb5fc2f8.jpg

Thread DESTROYED.

They’re nice cars, I’d have one but if you aren’t very mechanically minded a lot of them are suffering from typical ‘old car issues’ like rusty sills, seals going etc. From the sound of it the guy wanting a car isn’t one for doing like a lot of us and fannying around under cars.

The older shape Skoda Fabias might not be a bad shout or if your budget can go to it Kia Cee’d seem to have a decent reputation.

I saw a one owner, 60,000 miles 1.4 Honda Civic auto (2002 I think) for sale on a card in a village shop for £750 the other day. Surely the holy grail for this kind of thing?

Pretty much, shame it's an auto or I'd be asking for details myself.

Get him a Toyota/Honda. Tell him to stay on top of oil changes and fluid levels then proceed to drive it into the ground. Corolla\avensis for under a grand is very doable. Though I'd try get a three door corolla to avoid the risk of ex taxis.